Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short story suitable for adult learner

Options
  • 08-02-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hello I am tutoring an adult with reading and comprehension difficulties. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a short story (as in not too long) that I can use with her. Nothing too cerebral I'm thinking of Irish based as well.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Exploring English might be suitable. It's a collection of short stories that were studied at Inter Cert level from the late 60's onward. They're all written by Irish authors, such as Liam O Flaherty, Frank O Connor and Brendan Behan.

I'm not sure what difficulty level you're looking for, but it might be suitable. From my experience, Inter (Junior) Cert reading material wasn't difficult. The idea was to get people thinking critically about a text, but the actual content itself was always straight-forward and enjoyable.

You'll find this in most bookshops, so maybe just pop in and have a flick through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Thanks will give it a look, it sounds what I am after. Straight forward texts on a relatable topic

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Where are you based? In Dublin City all the public libraries have an 'easy reads' section which are suitable for adult learners. There aren some which are graded so you can progress in difficulty.

There is also an Irish series called 'Open Door' written by authors like Roddy Doyle and Cecilia Ahern. These are also suitable for adult learners and are quite popular.

I'm in Cork and have some mobility issues at the moment, which makes it hard to get to the city library, so its me and the computer for the time being. I know about the easy reads but I know that the ones available at the centre will have been gone through at this stage so I am looking for something else

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

THis might not be what you're looking for but as a former tutor in adult literacy I have used George Orwell's Animal Farm as an introductory book for students. While it is a novel (as against a short story), it is a short one, has a good story to tell and the language is clear and easy to follow. I found the students reacted well to this book.

• Advertisement

Animal Farm - I haven't read it myself will have a look, in the mean time I settled on Angelas Ashes, its simply written in accessible english, though its very depressing to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seeing as you are in Cork and all you couldn't go wrong with Frank O'Connor,
    Here is one of his best known stories "the First Confession"

https://www2.bc.edu/john-g-boylan/files/first-confession.pdf

Thanks its great I will use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Cecelia Ahern has a book of short stories called Every Year. It's Irish based and it's chick lit so its relatively easy to read.

Ya I think the chick lit might go down better - it was funny reading out words like "Jakes" or "piss" not sure she was too into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd recommend the exploring English short stories too, some top stories there,
    Another idea might be some world news stories from a newspaper, which start off broad and general and narrow down to more specific information

Advertisement