Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Fault on Line - Vodafone knew, but won't take responsibility?

Options
  • 08-02-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, I moved into my house in October - the landlord informed me that the telephone line was still active and that there was broadband on it, which had been cancelled recently. We rang Vodafone and got it changed over (we wanted to go with Eircom, but they refused to sell us a packaged deal, and they wanted €70 a month for what Vodafone were giving us for €40) and they tested the line and said all was okay, we were clear for up to 3mb.

Now I know a wee bit about a wee bit, and rang as soon as the switchover was complete to ask how much was actually going into my line. They said exactly 1.8mb. Cool - no problem. Except that was nowhere near what we were getting. One week in particular averaged at about 0.2KB. Not broadband, at all. They ran tests and said the fault was logged, technicians were sent out and the problem was logged as resolved.

Now our speeds were not as bad as that, but the internet was disconnecting roughly every 15 minutes, for periods between two minutes and six hours (we compiled logs). Speeds were usually just under 1mb, but could drop to 0.3mb and once or twice actually spiked to 3mb. The disconnections were what we were most concerned about. We would come home to find Steam games didn't finish downloading because the internet cut out, we would have 4 or 5 ten-minute "intervals" while watching an episode of Lie to Me on Netflix, and both of us kissed our World of Warcraft subscriptions goodbye.

I rang Vodafone, and lo-and-behold, they announce after running another test that there is a "fatal internal line fault" which Vodafone will hold no responsibility for. The rep gave me the number of a company in Dublin, who charges €90 to repair telephone lines (once it takes under 2.5 hours, and the line to be fixed is in the Dublin area). He said that they do not send out technicians or contact Eircom to fix internal line faults, and this would be at our own expense.

What bothers me, is that this fault, according to the admittedly apologetic rep, was visible and apparent from when we were connected. Which was within a reasonable timeframe of our cooling-off period. Now, we don't know what to do. Our internet is sub-standard, we can't rely on it for anything. Most of the reasons we wanted the internet in for are moot because the internet isn't suitable. I already went down the route of Talk-to-Me and was essentially told tough shizz, I had to get it repaired on my own time and finances if I want the broadband I signed up for and was told I would receive.

Would really like to know is what my rights are here, and when did Vodafone stop sending technicians out for internal issues? I know they did, because they sent one out to my previous address in July of 2011 to fix both an external and internal fault, and there was no charge for either as it was apparent upon connection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Can you clarify something, please? When you speak of "an internal line fault" do you mean a fault inside the house? If that is the case, it looks to me that you can't expect Vodafone to sort it for you.

You might have some comeback against the landlord if there was a claim about the suitability of the line for broadband before you agreed to rent the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Eircom own the line, Vodafone lease it from Eircom. Responsibility for eircom/Vodafone id connection to your property (usually a box on a wall) anything after that is responsibility of home owner.

Seems internal wiring is a bit rotten and needs replacing - any electrician will correct it.

Think if a electric socket went in the house, you don't call esb to fix ut, you call electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I get that, I guess Im just really annoyed that this error became apparent on their systems when it was still within my rights to cancel without penalties, and they chose not to tell me!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eircom wholesale own the lines but they only support up to the eircom branded main socket that comes into the premises, if you have any extention sockets that cause the problem then its not within eircom/vodafone's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I thought they guarantee the line to the master socket? Is your modem plugged into the master socket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Plug in your modem in to the main phone socket and remove anything else you have in any other sockets.

I only have one phone socket, the modem (my second one since the Vodafone one was worse) is plugged in directly, no phones, no Sky, no house alarms, nada. Just a modem, and a PC in to the very new Eircom box for the line. Went through all of this with Vodafone, they don't seem to think that they should have to at least ring a repair guy at my expense since they knew there was a fault on the line. I've had an Eircom technician sent out to examine my Eircom box at my last address and he fixed a problem (which turned out to literally be the box).

Looks like I will have to mosy through the rest of my contract with useless internet that I have to pay for until I can afford a minimum of €150 to hand some stranger from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

So we are back to the question I asked: what is an "internal line fault"? The only internal line in the setup you describe is the lead from the Eircom box to the modem. I presume that you can replace that, and if that does not solve the problem, then it starts to look like an external line fault.

So we are back to the question I asked: what is an "internal line fault"? The only internal line in the setup you describe is the lead from the Eircom box to the modem. I presume that you can replace that, and if that does not solve the problem, then it starts to look like an external line fault.

Vodafone rep simply defined it as a fault inside the property, and thus not their problem. They said I'd need to pay for someone, gave me a number for a company in Dublin, and they said I'm looking at €150 quid, at least, and thats only for labor and not for travel expenses. Vodafone could have told me this back when I first raised the issue and I could have cancelled until I could afford to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, if you're connected to the master socket then Vodafone can log a fault on your behalf with Eircom as they are paying Eircom rental for your line. As the others have said it would be a different issue if it was an extension socket.
    Ask Vodafone to test your line to see what your line is capable of and use speedtest.net to test what you are getting, also log when it drops and ring Vodafone immediately. They'll be able to see right away if your connection is up.

• Advertisement

Yes, if you're connected to the master socket then Vodafone can log a fault on your behalf with Eircom as they are paying Eircom rental for your line. As the others have said it would be a different issue if it was an extension socket.
    Ask Vodafone to test your line to see what your line is capable of and use speedtest.net to test what you are getting, also log when it drops and ring Vodafone immediately. They'll be able to see right away if your connection is up.

Already done all of this, it's capable of up to 3mb, 1.8 is being piped, and download speed as of 10 seconds ago is 0.78mb.
    I've rang Vodafone countless times, and they just said recently that the line has a fault, it's internal and not external, and they will take no further action to remedy the situation, it's on my hands now.

Like Ive said, the issue is not the fault and that I have to pay to fix it, rather that they knew about the fault three days after it was connected, and didn't disclose the information until two months after connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Trust me they can't tell if its an internal fault. They can test what speed your line can take and what is currently on it. If there is a big difference then its a line issue, either from the exchange to the house or at the master socket.
    If you're connected to the master socket and nothing else is connected (alarm, Sky etc) then you are 100% entitled to have it tested free of charge. If Vodafone won't log a fault with Eircom for you threaten them with Comreg, guarantee that'll work.

Trust me they can't tell if its an internal fault. They can test what speed your line can take and what is currently on it. If there is a big difference then its a line issue, either from the exchange to the house or at the master socket.
    If you're connected to the master socket and nothing else is connected (alarm, Sky etc) then you are 100% entitled to have it tested free of charge. If Vodafone won't log a fault with Eircom for you threaten them with Comreg, guarantee that'll work.

Odd, they told me over the phone that the test showed an internal fault. But I'll try again with calling them and see what the story is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Odd, they told me over the phone that the test showed an internal fault. But I'll try again with calling them and see what the story is :)

this is a standard reply from eircom and vodafone
    get an electrical contractor out to disconnect all phonelines from inside the house(whether or not there is an additional phone connected)
    just leave the main incoming phone line connected to the master connection
    check the signal when the contractor is there in the house and confirm with your provider
    i have done this many times and the fault is generally outside the home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Check the pins in the master socket aren't corroded (dull blue or green colour). I've had this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I only have one phone socket, the modem (my second one since the Vodafone one was worse) is plugged in directly, no phones, no Sky, no house alarms, nada. Just a modem, and a PC in to the very new Eircom box for the line.

Then they are responsible. Comreg is your next port (forgive the pun :) ) of call. You pay for line rental up to and including the Master Socket at your premises.

In the past few weeks Imagine were responsible for fixing a line fault over the last 25 mts to a customers house up to and including the master socket inside the front door. The repair was carried out by Eircom !

Ken

Going to ring them tomorrow and read them the riot act - they might pull the finger out! I have no issue paying to fix an extensive and complicated fault, but as said above it could simply be the box itself and since Eircom themselves only installed it for the previous tenants 16 months ago, I'd imagine it should be in good nick!

Advertisement