Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop charges in one building but not others

Options
  • 08-02-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Hi have a strange problem. Not expecting a solution as such thats my IT teams job but interested in any kind of explanation or anyone who has a similar issue as it defies logic to me.

The last few dsys my HP laptop charges perfectly fine in my companies office, but at home and in another site I work it doesn't charge at all. Same thing when the battery is removed and applies both to windows icon and the led at the front of my laptop. I have tried two different chargers at the office and then bringing them home; exact same thing. They both work in the office but not elsewhere. Assuming AC voltage and frequency is the same everywhere here (im sure they have to be) what else could cause this? I honestly can't think of anything.

I temporarily fixed the issue by re-installing the acpi-compliant battery drivers in device manager but since the problem re-occurred that fix hasn`t worked again.

Comments

Ive heard of it before.

Laptop charging circuits are relatively complex and its possible some noise/dirty power in your home is just causing something not to work as it should. You'd probably need an electrician or electronic engineer to hazard a more detailed guess as to the cause.

When you say different chargers, were they completely different brand/model or just two different chargers of the same type?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Assuming AC voltage and frequency is the same everywhere here (im sure they have to be) what else could cause this? I honestly can't think of anything.

You'd think so but its actually not. You've probably seen it listed as 230v and 240v at different times, and in fact it varies quite a bit. At peak(at home this would be evening times) it can drop to around 210v iirc.

TBH it sounds like the charging circuit in the laptop is on its last legs if the behavior replicates across chargers. Get your IT dept to transfer you to a new one before it fails and causes you hassle if they will.

Advertisement