Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thought I knew how to swim?!

Options
  • 08-02-2013 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I learned to swim about 20 years ago, and I haven't swam much in last year or 2 but want to get back into it & want to swim as part of a team in a half iron man this year. Problem is I want to improve my swim technique and I was taught to use s pull & hand entering water at angle etc. But looking into it now some seem to say this is wrong? Should I work on changing my technique? What is the right way? In the past I just swam loads of lengths as training but i want it to be more focused. Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Why change?

Personally I use a straight arm pull and flat hand entry fingertips first

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lillipoo

Well that's the thing, I'm wondering whether it would be worth my while to try the straight arm pull? is it more efficient?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Get someone who knows what they're talking about to watch you swimming and film you possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lillipoo

Ya I did lately have a once off, one on one, where a guy filmed me swimming and they were suggesting straight arm pull. Seemed to all make sense and was helpful but now I'm left to my own devices, I'm wary of changing when I wont have any one telling me whether I'm doing it right or wrong.
    Guess I might have to try to get into some local lessons or something to give me a bit of direction. Probably would give me ideas for training too rather than my previous of just doing as many lengths as possible in an hour in the pool.

Advertisement