Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cheap Flights to New Zealand

Options
  • 08-02-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I was booking some flights to New Zealand today for travel in May, back June.

Malaysian Airlines have return fares under €800! This is with Aer Lingus to London Heathrow and then on the A380 to KL, then a B777 to Auckland.

I searched with both eBookers.de (cheaper than the .ie) and eTravel.ie so available on several sites.

For example with eTravel.ie, flights are showing at only €777 return for May 1st outward and back May 21st.

Don't know the exact range of dates on offer but I have never seen flights to NZ so cheap. Family of 5 for less than €4k.

May also be cheap flights to other Malaysian long haul destinations available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I don't plan to go this year and haven't looked before. What's the normal going rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

One does not simply fly cheap into Mordor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Good deal!
    MalaysiaAirlines also have cheap flights to
    Sydney: Dub-Ams-Kul-Syd May €750
    Melbourne: Dub-Ams-Kul-Mel May €724
    (sponsored by the dept of social protection)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

newkie wrote: »
    I don't plan to go this year and haven't looked before. What's the normal going rate?

Normally at least €1000, sometimes a bit cheaper depending on time of year and often over €1200!

Main downside is LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

newkie wrote: »

My cousin and his wife paid nearly €2k each going out mid December and coming back mid January. They were staying for xmas with one of the sons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

snubbleste wrote: »
    Good deal!
    MalaysiaAirlines also have cheap flights to
    Sydney: Dub-Ams-Kul-Syd May €750
    Melbourne: Dub-Ams-Kul-Mel May €724
    (sponsored by the dept of social protection)

This is a very good deal, paid €1400 last June.

Why sponsored by social protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    One does not simply fly cheap into Mordor.

Geek :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Why sponsored by social protection.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Got flights for 840 last year so not much of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

€767 return on skyscanner granted looking at the timetable it would take nearly 2 days to get there and two back
    (may1 - may21)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

These are good prices. You would routinely be looking at €1100 or above with Emirates/Qantas/Cathay.. The trip on the brand new Malaysian A380 is a nice element too, although almost all of the carriers that go that direction from Europe at this stage use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It is indeed a great bargain.
    We have been toying with the idea of 2 weeks campervaning around north Island.
    The above reduces flight costs by about €250 per person.
    The flight times are pretty tight also.

Can anyone advise what terminal the Malay flight would depart LHR?
    Aer Lingus use T1 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't forget that May-June is winter, thats probably why they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

CJhaughey wrote: »

The flights are available until July, then Aug - Dec, so lots of availability. Also available into Australia and dept SNN and ORK too. You can also have a stop over in KUL and very cheap side trips within Malaysia as part if it.

Very tempted to get myself a flight home to OZ for Xmas. Added bones that MH is part of OW now, so can earn some good FF points too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Sigourney

Aer Lingus use T1 afaik.
    Heathrow T4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Dunno why you're wondering about the flight details. Any route you take to NZ is going to be pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Don't see anything cheap to Oz, what dates are those seeing it cheap looking at for there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Start of the ski season too. South Island gets very busy as does areas in lower part of the north island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Brian wrote: »
    Dunno why you're wondering about the flight details. Any route you take to NZ is going to be pretty awful.

Once you're going 30 hours without sleep and decent food every hour makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

thebuzz wrote: »
    Don't see anything cheap to Oz, what dates are those seeing it cheap looking at for there?

Where did you look? Flights to MEL available for under €730 most dates in March, April, May, June, start - mid sept. didn't look further ahead than that this mirning but when i looked last night they were available for Dec as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It is indeed a great bargain.
    We have been toying with the idea of 2 weeks campervaning around north Island.
    The above reduces flight costs by about €250 per person.
    The flight times are pretty tight also.

Aer Lingus use T1 afaik.

If you only have two weeks in NZ for campervanning I'd pick the south Island over the north any day of the week. Whilst both islands are beautiful the scenery is more spectacular and dramatic in the south IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

mel.b wrote: »
    Where did you look? Flights to MEL available for under €730 most dates in March, April, May, June, start - mid sept. didn't look further ahead than that this mirning but when i looked last night they were available for Dec as well.
    I had only looked at Sydney and couldn't find anything cheap. I found ones for 760 or so to Brisbane though, great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Don't mean to resurrect this but just to say these fares are also available from Cork and Shannon with the Aer Lingus connections.
    Thanks to Holidaypirates for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

dermiestv wrote: »
    I was booking some flights to New Zealand today for travel in May, back June.

Malaysian Airlines have return fares under €800! This is with Aer Lingus to London Heathrow and then on the A380 to KL, then a B777 to Auckland.

I searched with both eBookers.de (cheaper than the .ie) and eTravel.ie so available on several sites.

For example with eTravel.ie, flights are showing at only €777 return for May 1st outward and back May 21st.

Don't know the exact range of dates on offer but I have never seen flights to NZ so cheap. Family of 5 for less than €4k.

May also be cheap flights to other Malaysian long haul destinations available.

thanks man for really useful info!
    got a tickets today with this deal:
    Dublin -> Sydney and return from Melbourne -> Dublin all for 724 Eur + credit card fee 10Eur.
    As for multi destination trip to Australia it is a bargain price of 734 Eur.
    Thank you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 billyboots

Anybody had any experience as to whether or not it is common for last minute tickets to be available to Auckland? I want to fly out between March 6 and March 13, return between March 18 and March 27. Am i pushing my luck here and are tickets likely to increase in price or go down in price closer to that time? Maybe i'm too late already.... Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Try Skyscanner....I checked your dates the 6th to the 18th and got 1075 as the lowest price (with 2 stops) and for your 13th to the 27th option I got 957, also with 2 stops. Skyscanner gives you lots of different options and you can also sign up for email alerts....I did this for Dublin to Auckland for dates in July and I am amazed at the way the prices have fluctuated in the meantime....upone day, down the next! Different for you as your dates are so close but you nver know, you might get lucky and I hope you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Very cheap last minute flights don;t exist anymore I don;t think. The best you could hope for at this stage is that you would be an average priced fare for booking this late, I would think. Keep looking at skyscanner though, they do fluctuate massively alright

Thanks guys, before posting last night i had gone through every travel search company i could find and had come up with Sky Scanner's 1075 fare as it's lowest. The lowest overall was 913, but today there are lots of flights in Cheapflights at around that price. I realise prices can fluctuate greatly. The problem is that about a week ago there were lots of flights with Malaysia Airlines for under 800 and now i won't be happy unless i get one for that, greedy i guess. The 900 euro one is damn good value as it is. Then again, maybe i'll wait a couple more days...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Malaysian is a great airline, used them a few times, best deal was €609 all up rtn to Auckland. That was through Trailfinders.

• Advertisement

Wow Rangi! That would be nice, but best i can find during the past 24 hours is €901 from Cork to Auckland with Cheapflights.

Advertisement