Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 beeps CPU error?? (amd 955 be OC @ 4ghz)

Options
  • 08-02-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi again. I've talked before about OC my last pc which was an xfx 8200 board i think, anyway that board failed so I bought a newer asrock extreme3 970 along with 8gb ddr3 ram and my old AMD phn ii x4 955 BE.

Now for ages I've been running the 955 @ 4ghz with no probs. I just upped the multi to 18.5 and the Vcore to 1.53 to keep it stable. but for no reason I've been getting the 5 beeps at start-up which is cpu error. I've been looking around and some people say I need to increase the cpu-nb to 2600mhz and the voltage to 1.3v

So I done that and still I got the beeps.
      I also noticed it took ages for windows (win 7 pro 64x) to load after logging in. So I've decrease the settings on the NB again and the beeps come and go at different time when i start up now??

Id appreciate if anyone would have a look at my setting and give me some well needed help to solve this.

also I recently just noticed that the cpu load line wasn't on so the voltage on the Vcore was going up to 1.54v at times. I'm thinking maybe I've been slowly frying my cpu with spikes in voltage.

my temps never go above 51 on the 955. So I don't think its a heat issue.
      Any ideas guy?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Honestly step one is probably to take everything back to stock to see if you are still getting the error beeps, it'll be quite hard to isolate the problem otherwise.

Your NB is probably a little under optimal as phenom overclocking theory goes, but since it hasn't been an issue untill now I would think is unlikely to be the root of problem and therefore not the solution.

Very hard to say what the underlying issue might be, nothing is jumping out at me from your settings. But if it is happening at stock too it might not be looking too good for the CPU, still if it ok there then I guess you are probably best to start again from scratch and see how close you can push things back towards where they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leoh

yeah that seems like a good start. Rite the next time it give me the beeps I'l go back to stock and see what happens.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but when I had the NB up at 2600mhz @ 1.3 the system seemed a lot slower. For instance when the icons all go white and take ages to load the thumbnails? this only happened after I upped the NB. Maybe i should go higher?. The thread I seen about upping the NB was when they where running the 955 BE @ 3.8 Ghz, so maybe it still not enough for the 4.Ghz

but thanks for the advice. I'l update when I go back to stock.

just seen this, a guy sys the HT link is too high?? mine is a bit slower than this other guys?? not sure which way to go now... guess trial an error!

well after playing around with setting for the past week, I've been getting the beeps and not getting them all at random times.

So after putting its back to stock setting, Still I get the beeps. I think if its going to beep at 3.2Ghz, I might as well let it beep at 4.GHz. At this point it might just be close to the end?

I'm already thinking on getting the Fx-8350 and be done with it. Then the over-clocking begins all over again:)

I'm not going to get an intel, I know its the best at OC, but I think the fx-8350 would be more than enough for the next few years and will mince any animations rendering or HD video edit's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Doesn't sound too great for the CPU alright. As to the replacement since you are overclocking again I'd say the FX-8320 would better value since you ought to be able to get very similar results as the 8350 for about €30 euro less.

was just looking at the 3820, i see it's base clock is 3.5ghz but the 8350 is 4.ghz.

Do u think the 8320 would get to 4.5ghz? or would it be easier to get the 8350 to 4.5?

• Advertisement

leoh wrote: »
      was just looking at the 3820, i see it's base clock is 3.5ghz but the 8350 is 4.ghz.

Do u think the 8320 would get to 4.5ghz? or would it be easier to get the 8350 to 4.5?

From what I have seen they can get pretty close to the 8350, I suppose there may be a slightly greater chance of getting a lowered binned piece of silicon with the FX8320, but it certainly does appear overclock to about the same level give or take 100MHz or so.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-8320-6300-4300_9.html

I am convinced I have read at least one or two other review with similar results, but can't find any :o.

Worth looking through the (very long) FX8320/8350 official owners thread on overclock.net as well for some real world results, from the looks of it 4.5-4.6 isn't much bother for either chip, with 4.7+ being an excellent result.

yeah the 8320 seems like a really close the the 8350. I will prob get the 8320 and OC it.

just to add, I've taken the CPU off the board and reseated it, didn't see any bent pins at all. I reseated the ram and still I get the beeps so it must be the end of the line for the CPU. Oh well done me well running at 4.GHz for the last 2 years. just wish I would have noticed about the CPU load line thingy adding more voltage than I wanted a little sooner.

Bring on the FX-8320!!!!

a little update. the beeping stopped for a while, but It seems to come back when the pc goes into sleep then into hibernation. so I wonder is it something to do with the ram?? but then wouldn't I get a ram error?? hmmm??

Prob just the cpu acting up!!

oh well keep her going until she dies!!

Gettting close to buying a new cpu to OC.

THE LIST

Fx 8150 = cheapest and apparently OC very well. :D

Fx 8250 = bit more expensive but closer speeds to Fx 8350 :rolleyes:

finally Fx 8350 = the most expensive but can prob get to 4.7Ghz with ease.

Since I'm always looking for the cheapest id go with the 8150, But I'm going to be using the cpu for a lot of full hd video editing and encoding.

Im worried the 8150 may not be the best option ???

What do Ye think would be the better option in you're opinions :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd go with the 8320 and a decent cooler. The 8320 uses a newer more efficient architecture. It's the same chip that's in the 8350 just at a lower stock speed. You could buy an 8320 and a good cpu cooler for the same price as the 8350.

What board do you have?

You should consider some cooling for your vrm's on the board if it doesn't have vrm cooling already.

• Advertisement

I've got the asrock 970 extreme3 Mobo and a Zalmans CNPS11X Extreme on the cpu.

Im trying to stay away from water cooling for now. I'm totally going to OC the new cpu straight away, So do you think the zalman would be good enough for the FX series ??

Is that Ram Cooling?? vrm ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No it's the voltage regulator chips near the cpu socket. Checked the board and it has some cooling heatsinks on them anyway so that's good.

I don't know how good that zalman cooler is but it's worth a try. Might as well see how far you can get with it. If it turns out bad you can always buy another cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

5 beeps , Cpu or Mobo error , Might be a shot in the dark but try the solution here Slightly different setup

papu wrote: »
      5 beeps , Cpu or Mobo error , Might be a shot in the dark but try the solution here Slightly different setup

good finding, Il give it a go this morning. Cheers

Advertisement