Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mortgage interest supplement

• 08-02-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all just looking to find out haw mortgage interest supplement (mis) is calculated.
    I had applied for it but it was rejected today. I am currently on interest only payments with my bank (due to my wife and I been out of work):(
    This is what we get and pay out:
    Social welfare payments 372.40 a week (2 kids )
    mortgage ( I.O ) 276.83 a month
    Tax relief 83.00 a month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Hi all just looking to find out haw mortgage interest supplement (mis) is calculated.
    I had applied for it but it was rejected today. I am currently on interest only payments with my bank (due to my wife and I been out of work):(
    This is what we get and pay out:
    Social welfare payments 372.40 a week (2 kids )
    mortgage ( I.O ) 276.83 a month
    Tax relief 83.00 a month
    What reason did they give for the rejection? they can reject if they feel the mortgage was unsustainable when you took it out, but that seems a reasonable enough mortgage. I think you also need to be a year in MARP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I could be wrong, but I don't think your problem is with how it's calculated, it's probably moreso that you aren't eligible to claim it yet. In order to qualify, new applicants must have entered into and complied with an alternative repayment arrangement with their mortgage lender for at least 12 months.

So, after 12 months on interest only & assuming that your circumstances haven't changed, you should then be eligible to apply, though I'm surprised that you weren't informed of the reason why your claim was rejected.

To answer your question about how it's calculated, assuming that you fufill all eligibility requirements & that you have no assessible means, going by your income as detailed above your monthly mortgage interest supplement would be approx €42.17 per month, assuming that your net monthly interest only repayments are €193.83 (€276.83 less €83.00)

Your Weekly income: €372.40
    Your Weekly contribution towards mortgage interest: €35.00

€35 x 52 ÷ 12 = €151.66

Your monthly contribution towards mortgage interest: €151.66

€193.83 - €151.66 = €42.17

Your monthly mortgage interest supplement would be €42.17.

[If your net monthly interest only repayments are €276.83 your mortgage interest supplement would be €276.83 - €151.66 = €125.17 per month]

The above is assuming that your sole income is a social welfare unemployment payment, you fulfill all eligibility requirements & that you have no assessible means.

You should contact whoever informed you that your claim was rejected (I don't know whether you dealt with a CWO or the central unit) & ask them to clarify the reason for rejection in writing & ask them when you might be eligible to re-apply.

Advertisement