Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport expires halfway through the summer, gona effect my J1 ??

Options
  • 08-02-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

My passport expires in July and i want to go on a J1 from June - August.

the problem is that its free to apply this week and i have to apply before Monday or Il have to Pay €279

is this gona be a problem?

this is with usit by the way and i think it asks for passport details when applying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

yep it's going to affect things - you need to have 6 months validity beyond the date you leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yep it's going to affect things - you need to have 6 months validity beyond the date you leave the country.

The six month thing is not technically true for the US. Some countries only admit you if your passport has at least 6 more months left to run on it. The US is not one of those countries. That being said, they do still require you have to have a passport that is valid for the entirety of your stay in the US, be it 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months.

OP, if your passport will expire during your planned trip to the US, you need to get yourself a new one. You won't be allowed admittance into the US if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The visa only goes into your passport at/ after the interview at the US embassy, so you may be able to apply with your old passport, then get the new one in time for interview. I don't know anyone who was in that situation, but it's worth a try, sounds like you have nothing to loose if it's free to apply now.

Advertisement