Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibber McGee's

Options
  • 08-02-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Simple Question, what was Fibber McGee's in Eyre Square before it was known as Fibber McGees?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I don't think it was a pub, probably a licence bought out on Bohermore and transferred. To think a a Galway Pub Licence alone cost IE£400k alone at the peak of THAT bubble in the late 1990s :eek:

Slightly over €500k before you even found a door to open. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

It was called the Fountain View.

Had another name before that but can't remember it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It had a few names over the years. 'Fountain View',the short lived 'No 3 Eyre Square' and 'The Beehive' are the only ones I can remember the names of. Originally it was a grocery shop with a tiny room in the back which was the bar. Can't remember the name though (possibly Flynns but Flynns could have been McSwiggins).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

@thesandeman, I'm pretty sure the shop was called Egan's.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

The Chestnut, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

You're dead right. I always get that and Flynns mixed up. I had my first glass of orange there lol.
    Nice one. You saved me being up all night tryin to remember it.

Don't remember it being called The Chestnut but I was away for a while in the late 80s/early 90s so it might have had that name then.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

Was the early 90's, which dates me just a little....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

The Chestnut, if I remember correctly, started out as a restaurant attached to Kelehan's (Bushy Park) in the mid to late 80s, before moving into where Fibber's is now. I don;t remember it lasting a terribly long time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Was Eyre House Restaurant based near Fibbers at some stage before they moved to Forster street? remember having dinner in there years ago was top class grub in there that time too.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Think the second name was always McGee's but the first was Fingers.

Eyre House was further down. Either where the car rental place is now or next door to it. Then they opened the Park House and had both places going for a while before they moved Eyre House down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Sheena99 wrote: »
    The Chestnut, if I remember correctly.
    Yep. Ernie & Bert was one of the regular bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

I think I remember the Beehive name as well, along with no 3. Flynns was where McSwigians is now, Paddy O Flynns a grocery/pub (oldschool) used to sell bacon that would give you a mighty thirst (uncle used to be coustomer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Eeden wrote: »
    The Chestnut, if I remember correctly, started out as a restaurant attached to Kelehan's (Bushy Park) in the mid to late 80s, before moving into where Fibber's is now. I don;t remember it lasting a terribly long time though.

That's it - Remember it now. The restaurant moved around '89.

Advertisement