Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Project maths

• 08-02-2013 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi, so bascially not really getting the hang of project maths at ordinary level and I am failing all my tests and the teacher said to the whole class the other day that if we fail our mocks that we have to move down to foundation. I am really worried as if I go to foundation I can't do the college course I want. So what I really want to know is can she force me to move down to foundation level?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

No, in the end you are the one that chooses the levels of your subjects that you are doing , you should explain to her that you need that level for entry requirements that it isn't possible to move down but i know they sometimes don't want to listen , you should try a grind or one of those easter project maths courses , good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 edele

Thanks, I have started getting grinds but have only been doing them for a few weeks they probably need time to work.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 mathsonline

Have you done your mocks yet? how did they go?

Most people do worse in their mocks than in the real exams.

If you want to improve, try and go back to basics and build up from there. If you have trouble with things in basic arithmetic like negative numbers, it's going to hold you back in all your maths. So try and get those things sorted out.

Then get your algebra sorted out. Get someone to help you understand it and then practice as much as you can. Then deal with other topics.

If you do that, then your teacher won't need to / want to have you go down to foundation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I know there was a lad in a similar situation in my class a while back. Slightly different story because I'm in an honours class but basically he didn't want to drop back because he wanted honours maths for college and yet he'd never passed a test in the year and a bit we'd been at it. She started making him sign letters where she was saying something along the lines of "I'm not responsible if you fail your Leaving Cert Maths exam, I've advised you to drop down".

He was putting no effort in though, which is different than trying and still struggling.

If your teacher tries to pull a similar stunt just explain that you need to stay at your current level for college, and that you've started getting grinds and that you're going to put a lot of effort into your maths until you get it up to scratch. Some teachers can be fairly adamant when they want you to drop, so just remember that it's your decision and at the end of the day, if you want to stay, you can stay!

They've been marking project maths really easy anyway to try and make it look good. The marking schemes give out marks for doing very little! If you're on the verge of a pass with your mock, it won't take much work to get there. Good luck!

Hi. I am fine with the basic maths. It just the project maths and style of question that I think I am finding difficult. I got an A in my junior cert so I know I can do these its very frustrating. All last year the teacher was give us tests in the old style and I was doing great in them but this year she started giving sample project maths paper and I am failing them even I am studying really hard. But the books we are using are not really very project maths style even though it's says they are.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

edele wrote: »
    Hi. I am fine with the basic maths. It just the project maths and style of question that I think I am finding difficult. I got an A in my junior cert so I know I can do these its very frustrating. All last year the teacher was give us tests in the old style and I was doing great in them but this year she started giving sample project maths paper and I am failing them even I am studying really hard. But the books we are using are not really very project maths style even though it's says they are.
    Thanks

I was having the same problem. Just keep tackling the questions and you will get used to them. I'm not familiar with the OL syllabus but I assume they've made it just as awkward and stupid as the honours one. All you can do is to keep practising until you get used to the stupid style of questioning they've adopted! Do you have the exam papers?

Yes I got the exam papers two weeks ago so still haven't really got used to the style of questions yet.

Advertisement