Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas To Improve Call Of Duty

• 08-02-2013 9:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭

Let's throw out some ideas that would improve the Call of Duty franchise. What changes would you make to the next COD game? Here are a few of my own. See if you agree.

1. Dedicated Servers

This is a no-brainer. For a series as big as Call of Duty, it's an indictment that there are no dedicated servers. What we are left with is one player being host and thus, we have our lag compensation system. This is something that the community have been calling for for years now. It's time for Activision to invest the money needed to give a better overall experience to the players. No excuses...

2. Combat

A couple of points here. Firstly, if I want to play with a WW2 Tommygun and go against a modern assault rifle, then that's my prerogative. We need more guns. Battlefield 3 has a standard 58 weapons right out of the box (not counting those released with DLC). By contrast Black Ops 2 only has 29 (including the new PeaceKeeper). More weapons are needed, along with some oldies from periods past. Secondly, the knife. COD is all about gun-on-gun. We need to curb panic-knifing. It should be two melee's to the front, one melee to the back. Lastly, more realism should be brought into damage. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it needs a total overhaul. When you get hit in the arse/ankle with a knife/tomahawk...then that should not spell instant death. You know what I'm referring to...

3. Customisation

We've had it with our weapons, now let's have it with our soldiers! I understand that certain colours must be worn depending on the map and to differentiate your team from the enemy but it has no bearing on whether or not I choose to have my character wear a pair of sunglasses, a cap or a helmet, a ghillie suit, or even sport a beard or a moustache, a pair of jeans or a pair of shorts. Look into it, IW.

4. Develop The Scorestreak System

I like that Treyarch have moved away from killstreaks and have instead installed scorestreaks. It gives a greater emphasis on team play but there is a lot of work left to do. Again, a couple of points. Killstreaks are fine when playing gametypes where the objective is to just kill the opposing team. But for other objective based games, there should be a greater emphasis on rewarding team players (the guys capping flags, detonating bombs etc). These are the guys that should be rewarded over those that are merely interested in getting kills. For this, I propose down-playing the K/D ratio aspect of the game. Perhaps we could remove it altogether so people don't focus so much on it. K/D ratio has become an obstacle. Young players are under pressure to keep a high score or face a slagging from their mates (yes, we were all young and stupid once). I say get rid of it altogether so that players are encouraged to become adventurous and take risks. This would have many benefits not least that camping would all but be eliminated.

The K/D ratio could be replaced with a system that examines how good of an objective based team player you are i.e - team player points or something along those lines..
    Another feature I'd like to see would be the introduction of a variety of team based scorestreaks. Perhaps a return of the MOAB that can only be obtained through team work and not individuals working on their own. If killstreaks work in Team Deathmatch, then fair enough. You are rewarded for completing the objective but I don't think your scorestreak should reset if you die in other objective based games. A bit like MW3's support package.

5. Dash-boarders/Rage-Quitters

This plagues this game. I've done it many times myself I have to say but I have a system that will combat that. There should be two-systems at work here. Hear me out. The first - a three strikes, then you're out system....
    If you dashboard three times in the space of 72 hours, you're locked out from the servers for a total of 24 hours. Second system should apply to the rage-quitters - the DNF% (Did Not Finish) System. If a player develops a habit of quitting and not letting the game play out, their DNF percentage increases which throws them into lobbies with people of a similar habit. This will ensure their games are less enjoyable and they will surely work towards increasing their % score. Players with good DNF% scores will always be put into lobbies with others that stay fulltime ensuring a more enjoyable experience for the players.

6. We Want The Oldies Back!

I've got a great marketing ploy for Infinity Ward already!

When the new game is announced, instead of all these stupid gimmicky toys and whatnot...please include a Nostalgia Map Pack due to be released in January for those that pre-order the game. A Nostalgic Map Pack containing Shipment, Crossfire, Strike, Crash, Favela, Terminal and Highrise.

I think fans would be most pleased if Infinity Ward stayed away from making maps. Instead, they should focus their attention designing a map editor for the game along the lines of Far Cry 3. If the community can get hand-on with these creation tools there's no limit as to what can be born out of the minds of millions of players. If the maps are good, then they should be submitted to CODs site where they can be up-voted or down-voted depending on the community. Whichever maps look best, IW can release them in their map packs down the road.

These are just a couple of my thought. I'd love to hear what you guys think IW can do to improve the game! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A lot of that costs money, something CoD doesn't like to do. Re-skin every game since CoD 4, add a few new sounds and throw a few maps together is a formula that is working for CoD, as evident from the sales they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

29 weapons is more than enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Dead Man's Hand

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

When hell freezes over, that is when COD will have dedicated servers by the by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Keep the entire game the same as Black Ops 2 but with proper punishment for people leaving and the old nugget of putting in dedicated servers and I am delirah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    When hell freezes over, that is when COD will have dedicated servers by the by.

Is it a pain to mod the forum of a game you seemingly hate? Can't imagine it's very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

I'm all for customisation but I think it's gone just a little too far. Sometimes less is more. There just seems to be too much going on in every game. For instance, stick on COD4 and listen to how often team voice over comes in to tell you friendly uav or whatever. Stick on Black Ops 2 and it's like he's talking the whole game because theres literally so much going on.

Less killstreaks. Less perks. Less equipment (I'm actually all for the removal of all lethal equipment except frags and semtext as I think it promotes camping and it's not rusher friendly, to me at least :p ) I also think theres too many attatchments for guns too in this game. I think removing sleight of hand as a perk was a bad idea.

I don't think there should be any ADS faster perk/attatchment. I'd rather it was the same for everyone and make it a completely level playing field in that regard. I can't see any of this happening of course but they would be my own preferences. I probably have more but thats all I can think of for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

more rigourous testing of the perks before release!

Is it a pain to mod the forum of a game you seemingly hate? Can't imagine it's very enjoyable

Only just seen this now.

No. Didn't realise I hated COD2, COD4, BOPS 1 or BOPS 2 neither, it's news to me. But thanks for taking the time to completely go off the rails here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Tbf all he said was about dedicated servers,which for at least the next 2 COD's IMO won't have.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Only just seen this now.

No. Didn't realise I hated COD2, COD4, BOPS 1 or BOPS 2 neither, it's news to me. But thanks for taking the time to completely go off the rails here.

Off the rails? Would ya stop ya drama queen. I said seemingly, as in it seems you hate the franchise
    Kells... wrote: »
    Tbf all he said was about dedicated servers,which for at least the next 2 COD's IMO won't have.

Tbf it wasn't really that post that made me think it, it was more of a general enquiry :)

Off the rails? Would ya stop ya drama queen. I said seemingly, as in it seems you hate the franchise

Tbf it wasn't really that post that made me think it, it was more of a general enquiry :)

Off the rails means derailing this thread! I stated fact. Activision aren't going to have dedicated servers anytime soon if ever. It costs money, a drop in the ocean for them perhaps but money nonetheless that they for the past 6 years (when the COD boom really began) have not bothered with despite 6 years of raking it in. Anyone with half an inkling would would realise this by now and wouldn't bother suggesting dedicated servers at this stage was my point entirely. Just because I bitch and moan about something DOES NOT mean that I don't bloody care about it. If I didn't feckin' care I wouldn't say nowt. I bitch and moan about a lot of things including games I play because if I see a game being close to something potentially great being squandered, milked dry and subsequently ruined I'll make my voice heard till it's dead. I may have traded in BOPS2 a month after purchase but I said it at the time and I said a few days ago in PS3 thread that I will consider picking it up again as I did like the game but with other games out around the time there was no point keeping the game now while it collects dust for a few months. There's a handful of people, a few from here who you know well that I regularly talk to on Skype that can back up everything I've said especially my passion for COD and the amount of times I reminisce about the good times as well as where the series is going wrong. Hell, I was talking positively about MW2 a few hours ago. My favourite time in gaming is the SNES and N64 days but COD4 for 2 years while at it's peak gave me the most joy online of any game I've played. If people want to settle for quite simply adequacy because of whatever crap excuse such as banter, that is their prerogative even if I disagree with it.

As for calling me a drama queen? YOU are the one who took it upon yourself in having a dig at me. Not me.

I really want to cut to the bone here, but I shall refrain for now in the main. If you... OR that cowardly mate of yours who feels the need to subtly troll me for the past two or so years when it comes to every single comment that is negatively aimed at myself have such a huge problem with me modding this forum, take it up with admin or feedback forum if not PM.

Actually, I rather you take your issues to admin or feedback instead of PM'ing myself. Waste of both of our time I feel at this stage as I'm sick to death of the insults and cheap digs about me on whatever level and especially about my family or racial background be it here, XBL or wherever else as you know already. Beyond tiresome.

PS: I wanted to demod at one point. I couldn't. Blame circumstances if you so wish.

If this continues, I'll be skipping the infractions. Thread back on topic.

I'd improve Ghost, make it so your always hidden from UAVs as before

Blackbirds shouldn't gradually disappear, it should just end. I hate when you see the triangle move then stop, you think the enemy has stopped moving but no, the blackbird is just actin the maggot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

They'll not change the formula until the numbers start to drop. CoD is one of the few shooters that work well on console, until someone else steps up to the plate i can't see them needing to change anything. The way they look at it, they're creating masterpieces, why else would their games be the highest grossing game 3 years running ?

They won't implement dedicated servers, and if they did, you really have no idea how underwhelmed you'll be. Their netcode is complete dogsh!t, I've played a half decent amount on PC and compared to other shooters i play regular.. its just awful. You still get that disgusting hitbox lag where you're running along and get behind a wall before dying, because the player shooting you has a different perspective and your actually nowhere near the wall.

Gun selection... 29 guns is more than enough imo. 5 pistols, 5 SMG's, 5 rifles, 3 Snipers, 2 LMG's and a handful of random **** like the balistic knife etc. The more guns, the harder to balance. If 29 guns isn't enough to keep you entertained for 12 months, then the game isn't worth playing.

Valve have a great matchmaking system for CS:GO on steam that wouldn't go amiss in CoD imo. Basically you have a casual mode that just puts players into random games, no leaving penalties (Plus a load of CS Specific options, like free armor, no friendlyfire etc). The other mode is their competitive playlist, you get matched up based on your skill rating (Which is actually somewhat useful, i've only really been matched up against noobs when the rest of "party" were even worse than the other team of noobs, so it balances out), if you leave you get a 30 min ban from the competitive mode, if you leave twice you get a 2 hour, then 24 hour etc Works really well.. i've played maybe 80 or 90 full 40 minute games and its rare that people leave. You have 3 or 4 minutes to reconnect if you get disconnected for whatever reason. So people with dodgy connections, don't worry !

For it to work in CoD, the actual game settings wouldn't have to be different like in CS, but you'd kind of need to provide an incentive for players to use the non-casual mode(Maybe more XP or exclusive tags etc).

Maybe we'll see them change things up a bit with the next gen consoles. This years version will almost certainly be more of the same tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

The only thing for it is to scrap the franchise all together. It's come to a grinding halt. Mw3 was marginal. Blops 2 is complete an utter shiite. What are they gonna bring out next to try and make an already dead franchise better?.. My guess is another failure that is full of nothing but complaints..

*(only good thing about blops2 is the mute all except party button, and even that doesn't always work.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

No bouncing Betty's, claymores, shock charges, sensor grenades, heartbeat sensors, or any other rubbish that will watch your back so you can sit in a corner. Take out RPGs or any other rocket launcher/explosive you can shoot at people. Take out machine pistols and akimbo secondaries for that matter. Lets get back to only using your secondaries in an emergency - your primary running out of ammo cod 4 style. I think they should keep ghost the way it is...you have to be on the move. You don't even need ghost now in Tdm. The enemy team might get two in a whole game!! I wish they'd lower the points needed in order to get one.
    They'll never have dedicated servers when people just bend over every year and buy their unfinished games.

You could just use flak jacket and tac mask. Emp grenades also sort out most of that stuff. Everything in the game bar dogs for some reason has a counter to it. It's a great game imo just the connection and people leaving that need to be addressed. Though people leaving can most times be responsible for bad connections because you are getting the 3rd or 4th choice host most games.

Liam O wrote: »
    You could just use flak jacket and tac mask. Emp grenades also sort out most of that stuff. Everything in the game bar dogs for some reason has a counter to it. It's a great game imo just the connection and people leaving that need to be addressed. Though people leaving can most times be responsible for bad connections because you are getting the 3rd or 4th choice host most games.

Indeed I can, I use tack mask/emp nades on every class. But it doesnt take away from the fact that none of that sh1t should be in the game. It just promotes camping. Here sit in a room and we'll watch the door for you. I spend all my time running from one end of a map to another. Just to kill the same arseholes camping game after game in the same spots.

Indeed I can, I use tack mask/emp nades on every class. But it doesnt take away from the fact that none of that sh1t should be in the game. It just promotes camping. Here sit in a room and we'll watch the door for you. I spend all my time running from one end of a map to another. Just to kill the same arseholes camping game after game in the same spots.
    Well if you're killing them what's the problem then? You say it promotes camping but if you can beat them while they're camping then it's grand surely? The problem with previous games is that there was nothing you could really do about the likes of heartbeat sensors and things like that because giving up one of your perk slots for something like that wasn't really an option. This time there are no real standout perks, you can tailor make them to your playstyle and I think it works nearly perfect.

• Advertisement

Well if you're killing them what's the problem then? You say it promotes camping but if you can beat them while they're camping then it's grand surely? The problem with previous games is that there was nothing you could really do about the likes of heartbeat sensors and things like that because giving up one of your perk slots for something like that wasn't really an option. This time there are no real standout perks, you can tailor make them to your playstyle and I think it works nearly perfect.

I don't enjoy constantly running from one end of the map to other end because people won't move. I don't enjoy playing in games where the time limit actually runs out. Get rid of all that sh1t and lower the points needed for a Uav. Lets get people moving again! That and a decent connection - my dream call of duty.

If you can't string a few kills together to get a UAV it's not the game that needs improving. Not a dig at you but most games I play there's usually a constant UAV up, no need to lower the points needes

If you can't string a few kills together to get a UAV it's not the game that needs improving. Not a dig at you but most games I play there's usually a constant UAV up, no need to lower the points needes

There's **** all Uavs in Tdm. I just use Uav/counter/lighting. Ye seem to be missing my point. I don't even need Uavs in Tdm. All I need is hacker (whatever its called) the amount of equipment people sit behind is a joke. If people heard Uav inbound every 30secs it would change their mindset. That's why treyarch had to change it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

You need 5 kills (or 4 and an assist) without hardline to get a UAV in TDM. They need to increase the points for a kill to 125 in TDM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

TDM scoring system is a joke. This is something fans have been asking Vondarhaar to address for months now.

Sorry didn't realise ye were talking about TDM, I play DOM most of the time so it's not really an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

match making and lag. Solve those 2 issues and a lot of the others problems won't be issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Thats a terrible design feature to have in a shooter tho, its like an MMO mechanic, yes most things in the game have counters, but because there are so many perks/killstreaks etc in the game your still going to be exposed to a lot of random bull****. I would rather the game be stripped to its core, have basic flash/smoke/grenades/semtex, very basic perks and attachments and CoD2 styled killstreaks.. but thats just me. I guess most people like all the random stuff like shock nades/claymores/emp nades/stun nades/bouncing betties etc.

Magill wrote: »
    Thats a terrible design feature to have in a shooter tho, its like an MMO mechanic, yes most things in the game have counters, but because there are so many perks/killstreaks etc in the game your still going to be exposed to a lot of random bull****. I would rather the game be stripped to its core, have basic flash/smoke/grenades/semtex, very basic perks and attachments and CoD2 styled killstreaks.. but thats just me. I guess most people like all the random stuff like shock nades/claymores/emp nades/stun nades/bouncing betties etc.

I think these things increase the longevity of the game tbh, the fact that there are challenges for all of these means that you use different styles at different times and different things to work towards. It can seem a bit overwhelming at the start every year but once you get used to it then it all comes together imo.

• Advertisement

Is there dedicated servers in league play? I've never played it but if there is, I might start.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I was playing Battlefield tonight with a weapon i hadn't used before, as soon as i unlocked attachments for the gun i could equip them on the fly the next time i died, it's just a small touch but it would be nice to see something like that in COD.

Advertisement