Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Needed To Create Clickable Links

Options
  • 08-02-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to create a clickable renamed link in my blog but I'm having trouble.

This is what I have:

<a href-"tengtools.com" title-"eBay">eBay</a>

I want the word 'eBay' to redirect to www.tengtools.com (our eBay store isn't live yet, I'm just trying to figure out how to create a link)

It's coming up blue on the blog however it won't click through. What's wrong? To see what I mean, the blog is located at: www.tengtoolsuk.com and the link I'm trying to create is located under the second image.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

<a href="http://www.tengtoolsuk.com" title="Visit TengTools Website (This is a hover tooltip..)">eBay</a>

This should do it for you. eBay may filter some HTML code, however, this may be a problem you may run in to

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for the replies. I entered:

The Official <a href="http://www.tengtools.com">eBay</a Reseller of Teng Tools

It's working perfectly now except the text following the link won't show up. 'The Official' shows up but 'Reseller of Teng Tools' doesn't. Any reason?

It's working now. I used your example yoyo. thanks a million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

<a href="http://www.tengtoolsuk.com&quot; title="Visit TengTools Website (This is a hover tooltip..)">eBay</a>

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Just for your information, in your first post you used a hyphen after href and title these should be "=" (without quotes). In your second example you left out the closing ">" in </a>

• Advertisement

You can read up about HTML Links construction here. They are pretty straightforward, and rather than cut & pasting code and hoping you should learn the simple format for them, so if you need to adjust them down the line it will make sense

Nick

Sorry for posting again but I seem to have made another mistake. This is for a different blog I'm setting up.

I want the phrase IQ Supplies Ltd to go to www.iqsupplies.com so I entered this:

<a href="http//www.iqsupplies.com" title="IQ Supplies Ltd">IQ Supplies Ltd</a>

The phrase is clickable but the link is broken.

Thanks for the help, I'm slowly trying to grasp how it all works.

The protocol is http:// not http// ;)

Nick

Christ how did I miss that! I blame it on Monday mornings. Cheers!!

I've got one more for you yoyo:

How do I get this embed code to work on my Wordpress blog:

<iframe width="525" height="331" src="//e.issuu.com/embed.html#0/1145056" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's an interactive catalogue and when I clicked "show embed code", I was asked to tick a box for a Wordpress specific code. When I enter it into a new post, it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I've got one more for you yoyo:

How do I get this embed code to work on my Wordpress blog:

<iframe width="525" height="331" src="//e.issuu.com/embed.html#0/1145056" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's an interactive catalogue and when I clicked "show embed code", I was asked to tick a box for a Wordpress specific code. When I enter it into a new post, it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Try entering it in the text/html-not visual editor. Wordpress may also be blacklisting the iframe tags, you may find performing this hack confusing but it really is quite simple if you follow carefully, see here.
    If you have the blog hosted on wordpress.com (i.e: not self hosted) then you may not be able to add iframes or any kind of scripts to the blog. This would be for security reasons.

Nick

Cheers for the reply. Pretty sure Wordpress has it blocked. Ah well.

Thanks for all the help yoyo. I'd like to start learning the language. There are designs and functions throughout various blogs that I like as well as ideas of my own and someday I'd like to create my own Wordpress.org blog from scratch. What book would you recommend I pick up?

Thanks for all the help yoyo. I'd like to start learning the language. There are designs and functions throughout various blogs that I like as well as ideas of my own and someday I'd like to create my own Wordpress.org blog from scratch. What book would you recommend I pick up?

Not sure tbh, I thought myself how Joomla, Wordpress etc. function :) . but I reckon Youtube would give you all you need to know about self hosting a wordpress site. The great thing about self hosting is you won't have all those restrictions the hosted providers generally have :)

Nick

In terms of the language, is HTML what I need to learn for building my own .org site? If so, could you recommend any books?

Thanks again for your help.

In terms of the language, is HTML what I need to learn for building my own .org site? If so, could you recommend any books?

Thanks again for your help.

A basic understanding of HTML/CSS/PHP will help, but are not needed for Wordpress. I recommend taking a look at youtube tutorials which will introduce you to these technologies.

Nick

Advertisement