Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you support & why

Options
  • 08-02-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

As the title says. I first started watching bball around 98/99 after playing the NBA live series, I have always maintained an interest in the Celtics for obvious reasons and whoever AI was playing for.

I really want to get into following a team properly so im looking for suggestions:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

I follow patriots , Red Sox so started following celtics last week lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I'm a Lakers fan from back in the days of Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones.
    Think I started following them as TG4 used to show a game every Sunday morning and the Lakers were on it a lot (as were the Vince Carter led Raptors). The Lakers weren't particularly good at the time but I've enjoyed a fruitful period lately and even managed to get to Game 5 of the finals against the Celtics a few years ago.
    Things aren't looking so bright for the future at the moment but I'm a Laker for life now.

On the college front I'm a big Notre Dame fan. Started watching them after my mam bought me a Notre Dame Starter jacket when I was a nipper. If anyone doesn't have a college team and enjoys building up your hopes and dreams only to have your heart ripped out every March then I'd advise following Notre Dame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

funnily enough I actually watch a bit of college ball, im a fan of the orange due to Mr Anthony. Im heading to the states next year for my honeymoon and hoping to take in either a bulls or celtics game. This could swing my team bias

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Pacers - cause of Reggie and that team of the 90's. And I really respect this current team too. Blue collar basketball.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wouldn't say I'm a legit fan of any one franchise in particular but I like seeing the Knicks do well since I've been to NYC many, many times and have attended a dozen games at MSG.

Also, I'm quite fond of OKC although that stems from betting reasons mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Celtics 'cause I went to a game in the Garden in '06. Lost to the Pistons, think it may have been OT, not fully sure. Got on the Megatron thingy too. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Simonko

Oklahoma Thunder. I was watching a game between the Thunder and Bulls a couple of seasons ago and liked the way the Thunder played so I chose them as my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I've been a Knicks fan since I was 12 years old when on a family holiday we went to New York during the Easter holidays and caught a Knicks v Nets playoff game. Knicks were swepped, but MSG stirred something in me. Although that Knicks team played no defense, Maybury was in his pomp, and for an impressionable 12 year old I thought he was the bees knees. But what was once a passing interest in my early teenage years has become a passion of mine. I come from a basketball family, and that was why my father brought me to MSG. Our fortunes are starting to turn this year, and hopefully we can make a bit of a playoff run if we can avoid any serious injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I tend to follow players a bit more than teams. My allegiance has switched a lot in the last few years depending on player movement or injuries and I have 3 or 4 teams that I would follow.

I suppose OKC atm would be my favourite due to having 2 of my favourite players in KD and Westbrook. When I started watching though in about 2005 the Suns where my favourite due to Nash being a basketball god. So much untapped potential in that team. When KD came into the league I started also following the Sonics and then the Bulls when Rose got drafted even if I didn't like many of his supporting cast. There are teams I dislike like the Lakers (which made Nash moving there difficult) but it was generally who I'd play with the most in the NBA games growing up who I'd start to follow without having any real loyalty to any one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

San Antonio Spurs.

1. I had David Robinson's Supreme Court on Mega Drive, and it is still the best basketball game I've played.
    2. They are, fundamentally, the best team in the league.

I also admire OKC Thunder purely for Kevin Durant.

I'm also keeping an eye on Cavs' Kyrie Irving, guy looks like he could be their next great hope (as long as they get him good teammates!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Butler Bulldogs......never been a fan of the NBA, much prefer NCAA basketball......and everyone loves an underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I was a teenager in the 90's and have family in Chicago, it was only ever going to be the Bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Pacers fan since they used to show it on TG4 back in the 90s. Chose Pacers because Reggie and I have the same surname. Teams from back then had Miller, Davis x2, Jackson, Smits, Mullin, Rose, Best with Larry Bird as coach.

I was also drawn to the Pacers bacuse of the Fieldhouse. As I come from a farming background I remember they had a promo on NBA Action with Reggie walking through a corn field and I think they had the fieldhouse in the back ground.

I don't post in this forum very often but it's good to know there are a few other Pacer fans lurking around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

recyclebin wrote: »
    Pacers fan since they used to show it on TG4 back in the 90s. Chose Pacers because Reggie and I have the same surname. Teams from back then had Miller, Davis x2, Jackson, Smits, Mullin, Rose, Best with Larry Bird as coach.

I was also drawn to the Pacers bacuse of the Fieldhouse. As I come from a farming background I remember they had a promo on NBA Action with Reggie walking through a corn field and I think they had the fieldhouse in the back ground.

I don't post in this forum very often but it's good to know there are a few other Pacer fans lurking around the place

If that promo impressed you.....you should check out the movie Hoosiers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Any suggestions for a new person to the sport to follow? Bulls?

after the replies to the thread Im still not sure myself, im leaning towards denver or LAC I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Join Laker nation men. You'll look like a hipster in a few years when we're crap and no one follows us

Think I'm going with the Pacers as I'm already a Colts fan :pac: any Pacers fans here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Miami Heat fan, started watching a couple of years ago, like the Heat and they follow me on twitter.
    I am a fan of Lebron...

I'm gobsmacked that there are 2 other Pacers fans on here. I genuinely thought I would be the only one in Ireland! :D

• Advertisement

Maybe I could pick a team outta a hat, then again I could end up picking Charlotte or Detroit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Orlando Magic for me.. Been supporting them since 1994 when Shaq was Shaqtastic! All my jerseys except one now say Howard on the back though which is a bit sh!t. I am a huge Orlando Magic fan though, I go over twice a year and try time it so there's as many home games as possible within the two weeks or so. I've got to know Magic fans from over there also and meet up when over there. Last year was a horrible season to be a fan for them though and the next few don't look great, but 2009/2010 were both great years.

If there's any other Magic fans on here I'd recommend truebluenation.com it's there official forum, I'm on as Ireland's No.1 Magic Fan.

GOMAGIC!

RMDrive wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked that there are 2 other Pacers fans on here. I genuinely thought I would be the only one in Ireland! :D

New one here but getting into it big now, loving tonights game so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Im a pretty big Broncos fan so i thought it just made sense becoming a Nuggets fan when i got into the NBA afterwards. Love the way we're playing this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Indiana Pacers because they picked me in the NBA2K11 draft.

Have followed them since, love the way they play basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

RMDrive wrote: »
    Make that 4.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Make that 4.

Sweet! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Felexicon wrote: »
    I'm a Lakers fan from back in the days of Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones.
    Think I started following them as TG4 used to show a game every Sunday morning and the Lakers were on it a lot (as were the Vince Carter led Raptors). The Lakers weren't particularly good at the time but I've enjoyed a fruitful period lately and even managed to get to Game 5 of the finals against the Celtics a few years ago.
    Things aren't looking so bright for the future at the moment but I'm a Laker for life now.

On the college front I'm a big Notre Dame fan. Started watching them after my mam bought me a Notre Dame Starter jacket when I was a nipper. If anyone doesn't have a college team and enjoys building up your hopes and dreams only to have your heart ripped out every March then I'd advise following Notre Dame

When did TG4 do basketball? Would be great if they did a show every Sunday. After all they do the Aussie Rules

Me, because of their exciting attacking , but can't shoot for crap, and the story behind the coach & Andre Iguodala, the Denver Nuggets. (embarrased to say , it's because of NBA 2K13)

Celtics too I suppose because of the "Irish Connection" (but that is probably too easy)

Ignorant, I know, but I never realled had that much interest in going to America, but in the last 2 years, would easily do it just to catch any decent NBA match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

I fell in love with the sport on 1/1/1985 and there is only room in my heart for one club the mighty Neptune who are the kings of Irish basketball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Wow, I was expecting a lot more Celtics fan. If I was to pick a team I would say Celtics, but then again watching an occasional game isn't really supporting. I was soo happy that I got to see O'Neal in this top though!

Advertisement