Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you support & why

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

RMDrive wrote: »
    I'm gobsmacked that there are 2 other Pacers fans on here. I genuinely thought I would be the only one in Ireland! :D
    Although basketball is a minority sport here, there are pockets were it is huge. I live in a basketball crazed town, and most of my friends follow the NBA avidly. In parts of Cork, clubs like Neptune, Ballincollig, Glanmire, Dublin like Killester, Marian etc, Galway like Moycullen, Kerry like St Mary's, St Brendan's, and the game is starting to grow in Limerick also. The game is actually more popular then most people are aware and then the media give it credit for, especially at the grassroots underage level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

mixery wrote: »
    Wow, I was expecting a lot more Celtics fan. If I was to pick a team I would say Celtics, but then again watching an occasional game isn't really supporting. I was soo happy that I got to see O'Neal in this top though!

Too easy isn't it.

I wonder is their lack of success in the last 15 years (bar 1 championship and 1 Loosing finals) and fear that PP and KG won't be replaced easily , a reason for the the lack of support? The only one that is really doing anything at the mo is Jeff Green

Ask that question in the 1980's I reckon you might have had a better idea (maybe not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

It's astonishing how they're playing so well without Rondo(ar at least effective). But I still prefer watching Rondo play - he is amazing. You're right with regards to PP and KG, but hopefully the managment will come up with something.

Also you don't change your team when they start losing. Or I'm just too idealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

buyer95 wrote: »
    Although basketball is a minority sport here, there are pockets were it is huge. I live in a basketball crazed town, and most of my friends follow the NBA avidly. In parts of Cork, clubs like Neptune, Ballincollig, Glanmire, Dublin like Killester, Marian etc, Galway like Moycullen, Kerry like St Mary's, St Brendan's, and the game is starting to grow in Limerick also. The game is actually more popular then most people are aware and then the media give it credit for, especially at the grassroots underage level.

My surprise wasn't at the fact that there are basketball fans in Ireland (I played the game here for years). It was that other people would also choose the unglamorous Pacers to follow in the NBA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

What's with all the flippin Pacers fans?? :D

I also tended to follow players & was always a big O'Neal fan. This meant I was Magic mad when I first start following the NBA.

Went to Canada in 93 on a family hol, age 11, and this was the first I heard about him. I couldn't believe that a human being could be 7'1"! Also, we went to a sports store while over there & they had one of Shaq's Reebok shoes on display. It seemed to be the length of my arm!

To me, he just seemed superhuman so I followed him throughout his career from team to team up until his final days in Boston.

This kinda made me, if not a bonafide Celtics fan, certainly a Celtics 'sympathiser' by default even though O'Neal is gone.

When I was younger I would always cheers against Jordan & the Bulls in the same way football fans cheer against Man United.

Yet I love throwing on my old Jordan DVDs to this day. The NBA of the 90s brings back great memories of being a B'ball mad school kid for me.

I would stay up late til the game started on Ch4 or Sky; Press 'record' & go to bed. Then the whole day in school the next day I'd be itching to get home to watch the game 'live' on video. I actually still do that now, sky-plus a game before nodding off & watch it 'live' the next day without checking the score.

Of course, 15 years ago there was no chance of someone accidentally mentioning the score to you or having the score flash up on ur smart phone the way it might now. Have to be alot more careful these days! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Knicks fan as I lived in New York for 5 years. Used to go to the Garden regularly when I was there though this was during the Isaiah Thomas years so there wasn't really much to cheer about. Was dead easy to get tickets though back then. Took me 8 games before I actually saw them win a game. Delighted to finally see them put a good team together now. Really wish I was back there now for the playoffs. Not being a massive baseball or football fan I didn't really get caught up in the buzz of the Yankees winning the world series or the Giants winning the Superbowl when I was there but I would really love to be there to see the Knicks put a good playoff run together

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Another Magic fan here. I've been to Orlando a few times, more than any other US city so I felt some sort of connection :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Showing my age here....Celtics fan from day 1, mostly down to Larry Bird. '84 was about the first time I ever saw NBA and even then it was on video tapes sent over from very accommodating relatives in the US who were probably wondering WTF is up with this kid in Ireland.....

Hard to say why, as a kid I think most people gravitate toward the high flying athletic Dunkers, but for me it was all about Bird. His all round game was crazy and at the time they were getting beaten by the Lakers but Bird for me was the man. Even liked Kevin McHale's post game!

Got to the old Garden once, and been to the new one many times - even got onto the court once after a game in the '08 Championship year (v the Bulls and a very raw rookie Derrick Rose) through some incredible BS spouted to the security team (imagine stuff like i'm just a poor little Irish immigrant all the way over here in America and it's a dream come true to be in the home of the Boston Celtics blarney blarney blarney etc etc) - will try and dig out the photo from the vaults. Anytime I go I always try and catch a Boston game, but I'm a hoops junkie so would watch the Pelicans vs the Wizards (I'll not mention a certain Washington player......:rolleyes::)).

So glad the Celtics pulled out just one victory from this series. Celtic Pride!

Going to be a tough few years I'd imagine post this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Growing up on the Southside of Chicago and having many friends who worked/still work for the Chicago Bulls, it was a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Showing my age here....Celtics fan from day 1, mostly down to Larry Bird. '84 was about the first time I ever saw NBA and even then it was on video tapes sent over from very accommodating relatives in the US who were probably wondering WTF is up with this kid in Ireland.....

Hard to say why, as a kid I think most people gravitate toward the high flying athletic Dunkers, but for me it was all about Bird. His all round game was crazy and at the time they were getting beaten by the Lakers but Bird for me was the man. Even liked Kevin McHale's post game!

Got to the old Garden once, and been to the new one many times - even got onto the court once after a game in the '08 Championship year (v the Bulls and a very raw rookie Derrick Rose) through some incredible BS spouted to the security team (imagine stuff like i'm just a poor little Irish immigrant all the way over here in America and it's a dream come true to be in the home of the Boston Celtics blarney blarney blarney etc etc) - will try and dig out the photo from the vaults. Anytime I go I always try and catch a Boston game, but I'm a hoops junkie so would watch the Pelicans vs the Wizards (I'll not mention a certain Washington player......:rolleyes::)).

So glad the Celtics pulled out just one victory from this series. Celtic Pride!

Going to be a tough few years I'd imagine post this year though.

Would love to see that photo. Plans are already in motion by me to get to a Knicks game next season, it's quite handy supporting a team that Is less than 6 hours away by plane. I presume tickets are easy enough to come by for a regular season game?

• Advertisement
Advertisement