Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

He needed to go to the police. As they said in the show, some of the neighbours or his colleagues would recognise him and tell the police so he needed to go voluntarily.

There's an article with the writer in The Guardian on Friday. He said it was commissioned for a second series due to the positive reception Ep 1 got. Does this mean that they changed the ending to leave it more open or that this is the original ending? Maybe someone who works in tv could shed some light on whether changes like that could be made or common in a few weeks.

He also said that series 2 will involve more killings and not just of young women.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Meathlass wrote: »
    There's an article with the writer in The Guardian on Friday. He said it was commissioned for a second series due to the positive reception Ep 1 got. Does this mean that they changed the ending to leave it more open or that this is the original ending? Maybe someone who works in tv could shed some light on whether changes like that could be made or common in a few weeks.

He also said that series 2 will involve more killings and not just of young women.

I'm not an expert, I have no clue, but I did think the very last scene with your woman telling Gibson that the last girl had woken up seemed a bit tacked on? For one you only heard her voice telling Gibson, which could have been added in in ADR, which often happens if they decide to change or add something after it's been shot.
    Granted we did see Gibson listening to the recording of the phone call and that so it's possible that this bit was filmed just in case they got a second series and could carry it on from there. It did seem like the scene with the family singing in the car could have been the intended ending if it was only to be one series. Like someone said, the bad guy doesn't always get caught.

You could have interpreted that as him getting away and Gibson "losing". Or as him thinking he's gotten away but with all the info and the picture they had of him it would only be a matter of time before they got him.

As for more killings in series 2 I'd assume that would be him killing people in an attempt to escape capture. He was just killing the women, and Gibson described him as a sexual sadist, he was getting off on feeling their pain, but in the last attack he stabbed the hell out of that guy, which means he is also capable of killing just for the sake of it, when necessary.

Northern Ireland being part of the UK would mean that even in Scotland he's in the same jurisdiction and if the PSNI have identified him then police all over the UK would be on the look out. It's possible he'd be spotted in Scotland and as a result he could go on the run, or go into hiding, resulting in any possible number of victims. Just my thoughts on it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Meathlass wrote: »
    There's an article with the writer in The Guardian on Friday.
    Interesting article. Here's a linky.
    The Fall's writer Allan Cubitt on women and violence in TV drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Just watched the final episode, very disappointed with the conclusion.

Anyone any idea when the next series airs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I wonder does he stop killing but then the guy who clamped his car kills/injures his wife and unborn child so Paul goes after him to deliver his own justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Be a lot of twists in next series though so say ending for series 1 is fairly open in how series 2 will go.

Interesting a lot of former hollyoaks is on it.

Only realised recently 'paul' starred in 'once upon a time' as the 'huntsman' he seems to do well as a killer and is believable only for the beard I think. Yet he let snow white go....the whole heart thing for the queen. He died though in once upon a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

Just watched the final episode, very disappointed with the conclusion.

Anyone any idea when the next series airs?

Does anyone have any idea when the next series will be filmed might be a better question. :pac:

I think Gillian Anderson is busy on a couple of projects at present.

brian_t wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the next series will be filmed might be a better question. :pac:

I think Gillian Anderson is busy on a couple of projects at present.

No idea. I think the main issue with a second series was securing Anderson for it. She did mention on a BBC NI interview (before the 2nd one was announced) that she'd be back in Belfast to film something else, so I thought maybe they'd try and fit it in when she was doing that, but it seems to be filming at the moment, so I guess not.

Jamie Dornan is currently in hospital after a 2nd shoulder surgery. So I assume there's no plans for the immediate future to film it.

The Fall DVD will be released next Monday June 17

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fall-DVD-Gillian-Anderson/dp/B00979JUU6

Gibson and Reed Smith arriving on motorbike at the hospital to see Annie Brawley.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Phillipethe3rd

Am I mistaken in thinking that the reason Olsen being shot is shown is because the monroes are involved in the same crime ring, and Alice Monroe is a victim of Spector?

And maybe the ending was always a cliffhanger...of course the creators wanted it to be shown another season...what better incentive?

Also I think Paul knew his wife would suspect Katie....as she doesn't think he's around anyone else. He wouldn't have needed her to lie if he was having an affair with a woman, the fact she is underage is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Someone on another forum made a comment that the reason for the subplots (wife beater/prostitutes) was to reinforce the central theme of the show - violence against women, men using women as sexual objects etc. Quite a good point.

An interesting review of the series from Radio times.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-10/why-the-end-of-the-fall-was-a-big-disappointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Another thing that's bothering me is Paul's car, which he burnt out. Now if my husband came home without his car I think I might notice a one-ton metal object with wheels missing from the house, but the wife didn't even seem to cop it?

I was a little disappointed in the final. Very obviously a play for the second series, and I thought Stella's misogyny speech a bit heavy handed. I also wanted to see him caught.

Mind you, the stuff with the babysitter was a brilliant touch, as was Sarah Kay's father at the press conference, really humanising the victims which doesn't always happen with crime dramas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

The Fall intrigued me at the start, RTE/BBC's stab at Criminal Minds/Hannibal etc.. How would it go?! Answer : badly. The booking of Anderson was no less intriguing, if a little bemusing. Her performance was ok, though its fair to say her career has hit the rocks. It was one of the slowest TV shows that I have ever watched. Nothing happened first episode til the last few mins, hardly a tactic good American TV writers deploy. Gammy northern accents, sub plots that both took from the central theme and werent fully explored given the 5 episode format, hence were pointless. Spector in his daily life was an absolute creep, no sociopathic serial killer I have ever seen displayed such a dislikable character. Would stand out like a sore thumb in the real world. If the next series hasn't begun filming yet, which is likely, I am hoping they see the light and pull the plug. I won't watch, 5 hrs is enough to devote to mediocrity.

It was one of the slowest TV shows that I have ever watched. Nothing happened first episode til the last few mins, hardly a tactic good American TV writers deploy.

Interested to know what you consider "good American TV", as far as I can see there's not a lot of it out there at the moment.
    Gammy northern accents,

It's set in Belfast, what kind of accents would you have them use? Bar Simon Delaney everyone was using their own accents. If you personally have an issue with the NI accent that's your issue, it shouldn't reflect on the quality of a show.
    Spector in his daily life was an absolute creep, no sociopathic serial killer I have ever seen displayed such a dislikable character. Would stand out like a sore thumb in the real world.

Again interested to know, how many sociopath serial killers have you known in their daily lives?

Did they ever actually classify him as a sociopath? I can't remember, I know they said he was a sadist, but I can't remember what else they called him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

RTE/BBC version of Criminal Minds/Hannibal. What? Those shows are pretty different and The Fall is different again. Anderson's career hasn't hit the rocks. To suggest so is daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Was that it...? Is there another showing, don't see it programmed for next Sunday rte, did I miss something.

Its no love/hate but gripping non the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

esox28 wrote: »
    Was that it...? Is there another showing, don't see it programmed for next Sunday rte, did I miss something.

Unfortunately that is it for this series. Poor end but they are making a second one (really the second half of the first series I'd say) - so it'll probably be out next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

pointless. Spector in his daily life was an absolute creep, no sociopathic serial killer I have ever seen displayed such a dislikable character. Would stand out like a sore thumb in the real world.

That was my main issue with it too. I don't know what serial killers' personalities are normally like, but he was so creepy I found it really hard to believe everyone around him didn't think there was something seriously wrong with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I don't get where people are getting the "he was so creepy in real life that it was unrealistic" thing. Some of the things he did were creepy, to us, because we know why he is doing them. But to a normal outsider he seems like a pretty good guy. Maybe a little quiet, but takes his daughter to the park, has a caring job, etc.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I don't get where people are getting the "he was so creepy in real life that it was unrealistic" thing. Some of the things he did were creepy, to us, because we know why he is doing them. But to a normal outsider he seems like a pretty good guy. Maybe a little quiet, but takes his daughter to the park, has a caring job, etc.

I agree with all this. If anything I felt they made his character a bit too normal.

In all his interaction with his wife when she reacted to the "affair" he showed no sign of his other side.

I also felt the same in his phone conversation with Stella.

His only really strange reaction was when he started repeating everything when boss was repremanding him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

brian_t wrote: »

His only really strange reaction was when he started repeating everything when boss was repremanding him.

Even then he was just emphasising the fact that his boss was boring the wick out of him by adhering to rules and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Won't be watching series 2. Honestly its ridiculous it wasn't to compete with the likes of US cable shows and Scandanvian drama and falls flat in comparison.

I have no interest in any of these characters wether the live or die, no character was developed at any point, the level at which the police are inept in this hardly does the PSNI any favours. Also the pussyfooting around the elephant in the room (sectarianism) was so weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mister R wrote: »
    Also the pussyfooting around the elephant in the room (sectarianism) was so weird.

It was a story about a serial killer..... didn't see any pussy-footing around sectariansim myself because it wasn't a factor of the main story at all.

That's like setting a drama in East Jereusalem and not mentioning any conflict between Jews and Arabs and pretending the police force there operates like a normal one.

Also was it even a story about a serial killer, the police seemed more interested in the Breedlove/Olsen/Monroe crap than about the serial killer on the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Phillipethe3rd

Mister R wrote: »
    That's like setting a drama in East Jereusalem and not mentioning any conflict between Jews and Arabs and pretending the police force there operates like a normal one.

Also was it even a story about a serial killer, the police seemed more interested in the Breedlove/Olsen/Monroe crap than about the serial killer on the loose.

They mentioned policing being political, advised Stella to get a gun, and she asked if there was explosives at a crime scene when she seen all the furore. Daniels father used the term 'taig' (look it up) and they spoke about falls road etc.

Would it not have been more predictable to centre it around the conflict? In my opinion is was fairer to the people of Northern Ireland to do it this way, rather than continually make out its all about the IRA and the loyalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joeyla

Disappointing finale....Shouldn't he be caught.

The police had him write down all the places he had been in care homes growing up and I thought how cleaver of them, now they have a hand writing sample and will compare to the letter the serial killer sent to the Dad of one of the victims....game over.

But he still gets away without anyone checking or even comparing it....very weak end after some great initial episodes.

Yes because having a corrupt and inept police force is a fair representation of people in Belfast, a force that needs a good English gal to sort them out. Frankly this show could have been set in Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester etc. Belfast is a total irrelevance, her firing a gun was about as Belfast as it got.

They spoke about the Falls but it's proximity to the Shankill which also popped up was never shown, like they looked like opposite ends of the city, the city itself had no depth or sense of location, it could have all been filmed in any UK city.

The local cast were wooden and so desperately trying to do "intense" this could have been a spin off of an American soap the acting got so hammy.

When the Amazing Race visited Belfast they also glossed over any conflict points despite addressing similar issues in other countries, obviously Belfast authorities don't realise the "terror tours" and the like are actually a popular tourist attraction these days and glossing over it and shoving the Titanic down our throat is just hiding issues not eradicating them.

• Advertisement

The Fall final episode was the most watched programme on RTE beating Prime Time and Fair City.

I think RTE will be pleased.

http://www.medialive2.com/television/latest-top-20-programmes/latest-top-20-programmes.html

Advertisement