Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I thought they were having a go at Stella because they knew she was police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I thought they were having a go at Stella because they knew she was police.

Yeah, you're right. They mentioned the name James Olsen and I had forgotten that that was a reference to the police officer that Stella had been involved with and who had got shot and killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I've decided I'm going to rewatch the first season...essentially just to properly scare the bejeezus out of myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

It was mentioned in series one that the hit on Jimmy Olsen was IRA. So I'm guessing that those guys on the street were inferring their power to Stella by mentioning the shooting of him, knowing she was a police officer.

This is SUCH a creepy show! I get so enthralled, but sit there with physical knots in my stomach.... He is fantastic in this role.

Part of me thinks that if he was going to just kill Rose he would have done it, so I guess that cause of the kid he decided to not kill her, but to perhaps as someone mentioned, threaten her family if she speaks to the police again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Downloaded first series and have 3 episodes watched. Very good so far, though I can't stand that big Delaney eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MJ23 wrote: »
    Downloaded first series and have 3 episodes watched. Very good so far, though I can't stand that big Delaney eejit.

He was in the press a few months back complaining that he didn't get rehired for season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Yeah were those guys who tried to intimidate Stella affiliated with the UVF or IRA. Because I thought that they had approached Paul in the last season about him being in their neighbourhood when he was stalking some girl and that that was a loyalist neighbourhood? But I'm pretty sure that one of them made a joke about some loyalist or English politician when they were speaking to Stella suggesting they were Republicans?

That was supposed to take place in the Shankill, so doubt they were IRA!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I like the mood of this. Don't get me wrong, it's unpleasant, uncomfortable and patient. I do like that we're seeing the slowness of logistics of the police operation. The first couple of scenes had some good contrasts. The survivor slowly gaining strength whilst also being vulnerable with the diary, and lack of memories, to Paul who looked worried and still had to do Daddy phone duties.

The train scene and the 'blonde' (although her cosmetic change might tie into the garden fears some of ye have developed!) um yeah, just whip out your driving licence. I did like then how it made it appear as if he was gearing up to go straight after someone (internet research), only then that he went to talk to the schoolgirl.

Important points
    • Barbie dolls, um, creepy
    • Paul's daughter, Olivia, iirc from last year, he put something (diary/bag) in the loft where she put the letter
    • Did you see the beard on the guy serving in the coffee shop?
    • Every killer show should feature a scene wherein he makes a fry up
    • Not a chance I'd get that tonguetwister down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just watched first episode of season 2, can only watch in daylight as it creeps the hell out of me!
    I'm a bit confused with where Paul Spector and his family are, can't remember from last season- I think he was hiding out in that house by the sea until things cooled down, then got the train back to Belfast and is staying in a hotel, but then the daughter left her dolls behind in the house by the sea, whose house is it and when were they there? I seem to remember them all going away to a farm, was it the wife's parents? they are obviously now back in the family home with the attic door in the daughter's bedroom. I presume after popping home for his kill kit he also dropped the daughter's dolls back too. I know some of it was deliberately confusing as you were not supposed to know whose house he was in and probably not crucial to the plot but can anyone clarify?

Also agree, what an idiot the 'blonde' on the train handing over her drivers' licence. Kind of creeped me out also seeing him Google the woman in the hospital, I know we think about it but seeing how the Internet makes it much easier for stalkers by just typing your name will yield all this info, rather than having to build up a dossier!!! Especially if you work for a company that puts staff pictures and profiles on their website...

^ They went to Scotland for a "holiday" but the wife only stayed about 10 days before taking the kids and going home. Paul was still in Scotland at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

^ They went to Scotland for a "holiday" but the wife only stayed about 10 days before taking the kids and going home. Paul was still in Scotland at the start.

Ah, that explains the lift he got on the trawler...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Lets be honest, this is gripping,..end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

However, no harm to Eric Cantona, he's just a straight man, a story mover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It's been a great watch, but a few things starting to rankle.
    1. They have the killer's voice in tape, why not play it on crimewatch?
    2. What was the point of developing that tracing of the daughter's picture if they're not going to release that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

HiGlo wrote: »
    It was mentioned in series one that the hit on Jimmy Olsen was IRA. So I'm guessing that those guys on the street were inferring their power to Stella by mentioning the shooting of him, knowing she was a police officer.

This is SUCH a creepy show! I get so enthralled, but sit there with physical knots in my stomach.... He is fantastic in this role.

Part of me thinks that if he was going to just kill Rose he would have done it, so I guess that cause of the kid he decided to not kill her, but to perhaps as someone mentioned, threaten her family if she speaks to the police again....

Don't think the olsen hit was sectarian, seems to be linked to the whole Monroe side story, or maybe not.
    Stella was in the shankill and the street crowd were loyalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

bloody RTE player is a disgrace in this day and age

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The Fall is starting to confuse me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Oh that silly little Katie :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Lisha wrote: »
    Oh that silly little Katie :(

Katie is fecking annoying.

Also I love the fact that we have a hint that paul has issues with his mother, just like Christian Grey, the mega-creepazoid played by... Jamie Dornan :D

Who was your man at the hotel just a random creep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I was full sure he was going to attack Katie!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Going to guess he works in the hotel.

It looks like Paul's time is running out - another 4 episodes to go yet.

Not too pushed on Katie myself but it looks like on the preview for next week she's going to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

SPOILER...
    Surely Stella would have matched Paul's voice to that of the Killer's voice at the end of Series 1? Also surely triangulation would have led Police to the lock-up unit when Paul checked the voice-mail of Rose's phone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Beaulieu wrote: »
    SPOILER...
    Surely Stella would have matched Paul's voice to that of the Killer's voice at the end of Series 1? Also surely triangulation would have led Police to the lock-up unit when Paul checked the voice-mail of Rose's phone?

This ain't Spooks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

This ain't Spooks. ;)

But they used triangulation in season 1 against that provo scumbag.

Marje wrote: »
    Going to guess he works in the hotel.

It looks like Paul's time is running out - another 4 episodes to go yet.

Not too pushed on Katie myself but it looks like on the preview for next week she's going to help him.

is there a link to next weeks preview?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

This ain't Spooks. ;)

I know;) but dont want to give anything away just yet:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

is there a link to next weeks preview?
    It was shown after tonight's programme. It might be on rte later.

Edit: The Fall twitter account showed the next preview (along with deleted scenes) after it was shown on bbc, might have to wait till then

Heh, I used one of those camp beds Stella has in her office on my holiday this year. That Volvo should be off the road due to its colour. Paul getting into the hospital fits very much with the 'need to insert himself into the investigation' element that's also been done elsewhere and alluded to here, iirc. Control. I knew he'd pick up on the hairband thing. His questions didn't feel very therapy orientated to me, even if he was there in that mode, but he was ultimately also there for selfish reasons. He can sort of mix a bit of therapy waffle into his marriage, I feel. Just when it appears he might have all the cards he's fishing to get info about what the police have been up to.

Fingerprint discovery aside, we have the anxiety that's attached to the quality of evidence. Word overuse - let's ease up on mentions of 'fantasy/fantasies'. Oh, and Senior Police Beard needs to feck off.

• Advertisement

I think the fact they made a big deal about their budget being slashed last week explains why they're not using any fancy hi tech gadgets to triangulate calls and match voices and what not... maybe?

Did we know his wife was pregnant? It's that long since the first series was on I can't remember what we did and didn't know.

I know it's terrible but I actually wanted him to murder Katie. What a wagon! I think, or hope, the point of her character is to really drive home the fact that people can be easily swayed by a pretty face. The evidence is all staring her in the face and yet, like Paul said to her, she doesn't really think he's the killer, or if she does she has some seriously misguided ideas about it. She's as sly as him though, getting the key copied before going to the hotel, kidnapping Olivia to draw him out, sneaky little so and so!

Someone mentioned his mum too.. I had a whole theory involving his mum last series but I can't for the life of me remember it now. :)

Advertisement