Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Looking forward to this. Continuing the brilliant, but broken detective thing, I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

MOH wrote: »
    Got a reply from RTE about this yesterday. They've had no involvement in making it. Apparently it's "homegrown" because most of the cast are Irish, and because it's filmed in Belfast. Ffs :rolleyes:

Well RTE's summer season press release of yesterday refers to "Big new international summer series on RTÉ One and RTÉ Two include gripping psychological thriller The Fall, an RTÉ co-production with BBC, starring Emmy award-winning actor Gillian Anderson.

http://www.rte.ie/presspack/2013/05/09/summers-alive-on-rte-one-rte-two-television/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I got a response to my complaint, which contradicts the info their own information department had given me in reply to my earlier query, and apparently RTE did in fact contribute towards the project.

Sorry about the confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What was the nature of their contribution - none of the three production houses involved has an RTE stake listed in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

mike65 wrote: »
    What was the nature of their contribution - none of the three production houses involved has an RTE stake listed in this.
    I found this in an online article but beware there is a major spoiler in the rest of the article (not included here obviously).
    Allan Cubitt, whose credits include the second Prime Suspect, wanted to write a show that spent as much time with the serial killer and his victims as it did with a plodding police investigation.

Cubitt took the bare bones of his idea to his friend Gub Neal, a collaborator on Prime Suspect 2 who now runs production company Artists Studio.

Neal says: “This show is a model for what we want to do with Artists Studio: writers with their own vision working in pretty much the same way as top-level US showrunners. They have ownership of the material and the way it’s made, without the burden of running a business.”
    The producer’s income for the show was to be split equally between Cubitt and Artists Studio.

Neal took the pitch to BBC Northern Ireland, which commissioned the script and put up two thirds of the £4.5 million budget. German rights group ZDF Enterprises came in alongside Irish broadcaster RTÉ and Flemish- language Belgian broadcaster VMMA. Content Media is handling international sales.

Northern Ireland Screen also backed the project, on the condition that it was shot in Belfast..

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/in-depth/behind-the-scenes/in-focus/the-fall-bbc2/5054734.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FEATURES&contentID=38332

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah yeah I saw that after I posted.
    BBC Northern Ireland, which commissioned the script and put up two thirds of the £4.5 million budget. German rights group ZDF Enterprises came in alongside Irish broadcaster RTÉ and Flemish- language Belgian broadcaster VMMA

So very little then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah yeah I saw that after I posted.

So very little then!

Didn't see if they mentioned the exact split but if, for example, you assume the remaining one third funding came from a roughly even split between the 3 non BBC NI partners, that would be around €450,000 - I wouldn't regard that as very little!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Starting on RTE now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Balls.. missed the start of this. Will add it to Sky+ on BBC now so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think this is going to be good
    Why aren't the two cops together ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Never thought Id see the day when Id see a vibrator on RTE One on a Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its very slow.

It always astounds me what people can do in other rooms of a house and no one else notices !

Lisha wrote: »
    It always astounds me what people can do in other rooms of a house and no one else notices !

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

syklops wrote: »
    Such as?

Check your second drawer.

Such as?

In tv land people chat in room about a family member while the topic of conversation is only a door away.
    I could not imagine husband opening attic without me hearing or leaving the house for that matter

In tv land people chat in room about a family member while the topic of conversation is only a door away.
    I could not imagine husband opening attic without me hearing or leaving the house for that matter

I assumed the mother was out as well. The boy said he wrung her number as well but he got it wrong.

25 minutes in and we don't know any more than what we did after the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Very slow indeed. Hope it picks up.

Its no Dexter.

Blimey, she is forward isn't she? I wish real women were like that.

• Advertisement

Why did she give the cop her room number?

Why did she give the cop her room number?

She was making a booty call.

She was making a booty call.

Simply from passing him at a crime scene
    I'm old

I'm old

Like I said, I wish real women were that forward.

Thats it?!?

So after an hour, we know no more than after the trailer?

And I was so looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed that.

Love how it's not a "whodunnit" either - the killer is a creepy fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

I'm old

And I'm learning

Mr E wrote: »
    Enjoyed that.

Love how it's not a "whodunnit" either - the killer is a creepy fecker.

Its nice to see something original and not bought in on RTE. I really like Gillian Anderson, her accent is impeccable, and she looks fantastic. I just hopes it speeds up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tonytenser

MOD EDIT: No. And don't ask again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Tis a bit slow alright. That solicitor woman has a fine arse on her all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Initial impressions are positive. Unsettling, slow burn human drama. Family man with fetishes/fantasies psychopath hiding in plain sight. Of course, being set in NI means there's prejudice, ignorance, and politics, but not too much so far.

I've zero issues with the pacing. At all. Hearing Anderson telling someone to eff off is a pleasure.

Advertisement