Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Marje wrote: »
    He called the baby by her name - Katie. Anyone know who she is?

I thought he said 'cutie'

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Lisha wrote: »
    I thought he said 'cutie'
    Better get my hearing checked, thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Stella still uses Win XP? For shame!

Who doesn't keep a murder related news clipping in their wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Ah here. Frigging rte crashed for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

His protege is in training.

Disappointed that they didn't have any preview for next week,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Gibson got a bit of a freak out in the end, was hoping for a lesbian scene but alas.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

First half was the inevitable 'filling in the blanks on Spector' thing. The rest maybe had a few leaps, but that's kinda in keeping with the show. I'm not sure how they were alerted to search where the phone case was - press conference tip off, perhaps? And I'm not sure how he stole the latest car he now has in a lock up. Since baby was in it before hand, perhaps the keys were, too? The bar scene with the pathologist - you could see some intimate contact coming, nice smack down of the sleazy lawyer, mind. Katie continues to be spectacularly naive, the webcam scene, creepy. Season two directing his obsession towards Stella makes sense given their arc, and the season one finale, imo. He has to undermine her, privately and publicly. That'll be his undoing, I suspect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

First half was the inevitable 'filling in the blanks on Spector' thing. The rest maybe had a few leaps, but that's kinda in keeping with the show. I'm not sure how they were alerted to search where the phone case was - press conference tip off, perhaps? And I'm not sure how he stole the latest car he now has in a lock up. Since baby was in it before hand, perhaps the keys were, too?

At the morning meeting one of the uniform officers said they had traced the location the mobile call came from, the call Paul made at the end of last week's episode. That's how they knew to search there.

The baby was playing with the keys in the car. Obviously the mother had given her them to keep her occupied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

I thought last nights episode was very poor, far too many omissions, so is spector not working any more? surely if the cops practically know he is the killer they would be checking why he was not at work and if not surely the wife would be a little more anxious? what is he doing for money? if he uses ATM cards surely they can track them, also what really bugged me, a car with the light off in the dark is approaching a crime scene and turns around, gibson is pretty sure its the killer yet doesnt decide to hop in the patrol car parked behind her and go after him, that was beyond stupid, also it was a bit too easy to get access into what looks like a 5 star hotel plus in such an establishment there would be cameras and security everywhere and the teenager, surely her mother must be wondering what in the name of high school football is going on with her daughter, very bad parenting...there are just too many omissions for it to be any way realistic, very disappointed with this years series, should have ended it last year

Ah now, there is a big difference in a body not being found in a loft in a black bag etc compared to an investigation where one of the suspects isn't investigated "cos he seemed like a nice guy with a family!" or the ONE witness, which was specifically linked in the dozy front page report as the witness, going missing after her daughter spoke to an unusual man who called himself Peter, the same name the witness knew him as, at night in their house. And still the bearded idiot thinks she might have gone off randomly for milk.....

Seriously?!

Once more, I could go on. But for me this has lost the plot. I'm not even going into the stupidity of the Katie storyline or the wife or so many other things that are unravelling in this quickly approaching farce tale.

Yep, I fully agree, the show has gone from well made to a complete farce

• Advertisement

It's rarely worth analysing a show like this for realism. It's not The Wire, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

It's rarely worth analysing a show like this for realism. It's not The Wire, after all.

You mean the Wire was real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's rarely worth analysing a show like this for realism.
    That's true enough but to enjoy a show you have to suspend disbelief and if the producers make it so hard to do that then your enjoyment of the show is going to suffer.

The sequence whereby staff in Gibson's hotel make it super easy for Spector to get in, get a master key card, have time to check through the room service menus to find Gibson's room number etc would cause most people to roll their eyes.
    I mean I know it's meant to be a five star hotel with exemplary customer service and all but Spector isn't even a guest. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Totally agree with the above comments re this series being farcical.

It's all over the place.

Yes of course realism isnt going to completely come into it but for the show to have any sort of credibility, especially something as dark as this, it needs to be a little more realistic, i mean come on, walking into the hotel and finding out the exact room gibson is in and casually walking up to her room and letting himself in is just plain stupid, it could never happen in a million years, but the bit that really annoyed me was spector approaching the crime scene in a vehicle in the dark with no lights on and then turns around, come on, even the doziest cop in the world would have chased him up the road instead of trying to make out the reg like an idiot, from a good 700 yards i might add.
    But when a show starts taking these sort of liberties it just becomes stupid and makes me think i wouldn't be too bothered with it any more, i mean spector is on the run apparently, obviously isnt turning up for work, no reference as to what he is doing for money, surely the wife must be wondering wtf is going on here? the situation with the young one is just stupid, oh i happen to have a paper cutout relating to the murders in my wallet...is spector not bothering to see the kids now? also the situation with gibsons diary, oh the shock, spector read it....why would you leave a personal diary lying around a hotel room where the cleaning staff can have a good read of it??? plus gibson meets her pal for a drink and almost lez off but dont worry the deputy chief decides to call around p*ssed and mad for a tip.....its farcical to say the least, the characters are no longer credible, the writing and relation to realism is p*ss poor and the storyline is just gone, i am disappointed because last season was so good, so well written with good strong characters, then the whole thing turns to s*ite, terrible stuff...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Once again I don't get people's problems with this show.

Has it even been a week since he got back from Scotland? He's staying in some run down hole of a hotel, probably using cash so can't be trace. He went to Scotland with the intention of staying away so it's not so hard to believe he may have taken some ready cash with him.

Last night's episode started an hour or two after the last episode ended. So they've had his name for at most 2 days by the end of last night. They also have no solid proof to link him to anything other than the sheers they found in the lake. Katie provided him with an alibi for the night they thought they had him, so all in all they've very little to go on.

Stella watched the car until it was clear it was turning around and then she sent a patrol car after it. What would she have done if she had ran after him or even caught him? As I said above they've no solid proof to tie him to anything yet so he refuses to answer their questions for 24 hours and then they have to release him again.

I thought it was obvious that Katie's mother was useless. Even last year she was able to stay at the Specter's until 3am and then arrive home no questions asked, he was able to show up in her house and spend time with her in her room without the mother even batting an eye. She's obviously got her own issues going on which make him attractive to her. No father figure in her own life, a misguided idea about romance or love or whatever. Again not that unbelievable.

I will agree his strolling into the Merchant Hotel like that was a bit far fetched. Her using room service to order tea was what really made it weird though. Just use the kettle in your room, Stella!

Tea incident aside I don't have any problems with anything.

Tickle, you have made some good points, certainly regarding katie's mother being useless and they referenced the father dying which would account for kaites weird actions and the mother not giving a flying f*ck...

Good point regarding using cash, but regarding katies alibi, that surely is now cast aside after the cops found her breaking into spectors home, surely they now piece together that spector has her working for him, although i'm not sure why he got her to do the break in and the pic in his bathroom?

Regarding the car turning around, no, she only sent the patrol car after it when she had them run a check on the reg, way to late obviously, seriously any cop worth their salt would be straight after a car which does a u-turn when approaching a crime scene.

I disagree that they have very little to go on, surely they can use voice recognition from the phone calls he made to gibson and the interview he did, also they know he is/was peter who know rose, he has a dubious alibi from katie who was seen breaking into spectors house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

Once again I don't get people's problems with this show.

Has it even been a week since he got back from Scotland? He's staying in some run down hole of a hotel, probably using cash so can't be trace. He went to Scotland with the intention of staying away so it's not so hard to believe he may have taken some ready cash with him.

Last night's episode started an hour or two after the last episode ended. So they've had his name for at most 2 days by the end of last night. They also have no solid proof to link him to anything other than the sheers they found in the lake. Katie provided him with an alibi for the night they thought they had him, so all in all they've very little to go on.

Stella watched the car until it was clear it was turning around and then she sent a patrol car after it. What would she have done if she had ran after him or even caught him? As I said above they've no solid proof to tie him to anything yet so he refuses to answer their questions for 24 hours and then they have to release him again.

I thought it was obvious that Katie's mother was useless. Even last year she was able to stay at the Specter's until 3am and then arrive home no questions asked, he was able to show up in her house and spend time with her in her room without the mother even batting an eye. She's obviously got her own issues going on which make him attractive to her. No father figure in her own life, a misguided idea about romance or love or whatever. Again not that unbelievable.

I will agree his strolling into the Merchant Hotel like that was a bit far fetched. Her using room service to order tea was what really made it weird though. Just use the kettle in your room, Stella!

Have you ever tried making tea with the kettle in a hotel room?
    Half them smell of burned plastic because they have been switched on at some stage with no water in them. Then you have the UHT milk, tippex would taste nicer. She doesn't have to pay for the room service so above all that was wrong with the hotel scenes (Spector is now Jason Bourne, sauntering into the hoel kitchen, knowing where to find the room numbers and hacking her police laptop), the tea isn't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jezzer wrote: »
    Yes of course realism isnt going to completely come into it but for the show to have any sort of credibility, especially something as dark as this, it needs to be a little more realistic, i mean come on, walking into the hotel and finding out the exact room gibson is in and casually walking up to her room and letting himself in is just plain stupid, it could never happen in a million years, but the bit that really annoyed me was spector approaching the crime scene in a vehicle in the dark with no lights on and then turns around, come on, even the doziest cop in the world would have chased him up the road instead of trying to make out the reg like an idiot, from a good 700 yards i might add.
    But when a show starts taking these sort of liberties it just becomes stupid and makes me think i wouldn't be too bothered with it any more, i mean spector is on the run apparently, obviously isnt turning up for work, no reference as to what he is doing for money, surely the wife must be wondering wtf is going on here? the situation with the young one is just stupid, oh i happen to have a paper cutout relating to the murders in my wallet...is spector not bothering to see the kids now? also the situation with gibsons diary, oh the shock, spector read it....why would you leave a personal diary lying around a hotel room where the cleaning staff can have a good read of it??? plus gibson meets her pal for a drink and almost lez off but dont worry the deputy chief decides to call around p*ssed and mad for a tip.....its farcical to say the least, the characters are no longer credible, the writing and relation to realism is p*ss poor and the storyline is just gone, i am disappointed because last season was so good, so well written with good strong characters, then the whole thing turns to s*ite, terrible stuff...

No paragraphs in the show either which is annoying.

The hotel thing - he checked the kitchens for room service orders which had her number on it. He didn't just find it by wandering around the corridors, also did it not show him picking up a keycard in the kitchens?

A little convenient alright but not something that "could never happen in a million years."

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No paragraphs in the show either which is annoying.

The hotel thing - he checked the kitchens for room service orders which had her number on it. He didn't just find it by wandering around the corridors, also did it not show him picking up a keycard in the kitchens?

A little convenient alright but not something that "could never happen in a million years."

Oh yea, because a busy hotel is never ever manned in the kitchen......and its always so easy to find where the room service orders are kept and i'm sure five star hotel staff always make sure to leave key cards hanging about and of course the security would never see a guy in a hood roaming about the place....it was the worst piece of television i've seen in a long time...

• Advertisement

jezzer wrote: »
    Oh yea, because a busy hotel is never ever manned in the kitchen......and its always so easy to find where the room service orders are kept and i'm sure five star hotel staff always make sure to leave key cards hanging about and of course the security would never see a guy in a hood roaming about the place....it was the worst piece of television i've seen in a long time...

If that's the worst piece of television you've seen in a long time you're very lucky.

well i dont tend to watch a lot of tv in fairness but i watched the fall because series 1 was well made tv, this season has just become dragged out and farcical to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ive just finished season 1. When I was watching it for the first two episodes I was comparing Stella with Detective Sarah Lund and Jane Tennison but I think Gillian Anderson has really come into her own bit by bit.

Jamie Dornan's character has shades of Robert Harris's Red Dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Dornan is a dreadful actor, but seems to have found a genre for himself between this and 50 shades of grey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Her using room service to order tea was what really made it weird though. Just use the kettle in your room, Stella!

Could we see a kettle in the room? Most 5 star hotels don't have them.

Dornan is a dreadful actor, but seems to have found a genre for himself between this and 50 shades of grey.

Was just talking about this the other day.

He gets by on the one intense look he does (and of course his good looks) but I don't think he's got much range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

His characters fit between each other. I've not read the book but based on the trailer of the film he play the character of Grey well.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Is this on RTE Player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,835 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is this on RTE Player?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Was just talking about this the other day.

He gets by on the one intense look he does (and of course his good looks) but I don't think he's got much range.

Well we don't know that, he hasn't been given the opportunity to play anything other than intense psychotic loners.

Advertisement