Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My favourite part was when Cantona points his fat finger at the picture and reads out "P.B. aged 10" as if he's only just at that minute learned to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

The drop in quality from the first series to the second is actually staggering. The plot holes, the acting, the script, everything. Its like watching a really bad film sequel. Anderson's ridiculous pouting and whispering has gone from being sexy to seriously bloody annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's not on Wednesdays on either BBC or RTÉ unless that's a repeat of the episode from the week before?
    You misread my post.

I'm saying that according to DigiGuides listings for that week RTE is showing the final episode on Wednesday and not on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

weadick wrote: »
    The drop in quality from the first series to the second is actually staggering. The plot holes, the acting, the script, everything. Its like watching a really bad film sequel. Anderson's ridiculous pouting and whispering has gone from being sexy to seriously bloody annoying.

I find it very hard to believe how crap it has become, apparently they have the same writer?? its like they werent expecting a second series then had to throw it together really quickly, it is a shocking bad show, cant wait for it to end so i can see what happens to spector

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

jezzer wrote: »
    i can see what happens to spector
    My money is on him being made head of the PSNI and the final scene being him jetting off on his honeymoon with Gibson.

• Advertisement

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    My money is on him being made head of the PSNI and the final scene being him jetting off on his honeymoon with Gibson.

Well he cant be any worse than cantona and scully, if he goes on honeymoon with scully surely the pathologist and the new cop will tag along...katie secretly in stowaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

First series was brilliant, but after the last two episodes sadly it has gone to shîte

shark.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just got around to watching this weeks earlier, echo the comments on it's quality slide from the first series.

The scenes and dialogue between spektor and the young 'wan katie is especially cringe worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

It seems most are in agreement that this has gone to the dogs.

Used to look forward to it during the first series, but only getting around to watching last Sunday's episode there now as I had an hour to spare.

The ''Nothing must happen those children'' line was a particular lowlight!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did anyone at any point think anything would happen the children? I thought when the wife showed up at the hospital he might take her hostage in order to escape the cops there but I never once worried he'd hurt the kids. He made it fairly clear he would never hurt children.

Come to think of it them trying to nab him at the hospital and him escaping by taking the wife hostage would have been a better way to go, maybe?
    The next episode is him and her locked away somewhere and maybe we get a bit of an explanation from him as to why he's done what he's done. The PSNI are trying to track them down, Stella trades herself for Sally and Rose. The last episode then is the showdown between Paul and Stella. The End.

• Advertisement

It seems most are in agreement that this has gone to the dogs.

Used to look forward to it during the first series, but only getting around to watching last Sunday's episode there now as I had an hour to spare.

I really dont know why cantona said that, it has been clear that he only murders women, surely the wife would be more of a concern? Also spector sent a letter to the father of one of his victims saying he wouldnt have killed her if he knew she was pregnant because children are innocent, therefore cantona coming out with that line was nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I really dont know why cantona said that, it has been clear that he only murders women, surely the wife would be more of a concern? Also spector sent a letter to the father of one of his victims saying he wouldnt have killed her if he knew she was pregnant because children are innocent, therefore cantona coming out with that line was nonsense

Was it trying to show he is a terrible police officer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anderson's face has been so paralyzed by botox that its rendered her unable to speak or show any kind of emotion.

The first series was fantastic and I couldn't wait for this second season but by fook has this disappointed!.

Shockingly bad show now.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Was it trying to show he is a terrible police officer?

Well its certainly true, he is a terrible officer, corrupt and inept

Anderson's face has been so paralyzed by botox that its rendered her unable to speak or show any kind of emotion.

The first series was fantastic and I couldn't wait for this second season but by fook has this disappointed!.

Shockingly bad show now.

The botox has rendered her unable to act except for droll on with a monotone, i think dornan is a very bad actor also, in the awkward scene with katie last week he showed that he is a one trick pony whereby he doesnt really speak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

The botox has rendered her unable to act except for droll on with a monotone, i think dornan is a very bad actor also, in the awkward scene with katie last week he showed that he is a one trick pony whereby he doesnt really speak

A thousand times this.

I know Paul is a killer with big emotional issues, but ffs the monotonous dreary tone he delivers every single line of dialogue in is grating more than ever now. He's a brutal actor.

My real problem with that scene is that I don't think anybody other than Paul McKenna or Hypnotoad could have convinced Katy to switch from messing about to planning throwing acid in her best mate's face. Laurence Olivier would have been equally lame looking trying to do it.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    My real problem with that scene is that I don't think anybody other than Paul McKenna or Hypnotoad could have convinced Katy to switch from messing about to planning throwing acid in her best mate's face. Laurence Olivier would have been equally lame looking trying to do it.

Yes good point, it was a badly played out scene, she is infatuated with spector, ok, but within seconds he had her convinced that throwing acid in her friends face was a good idea because her friend was better looking than her...come on...

maximoose wrote: »
    A thousand times this.

I know Paul is a killer with big emotional issues, but ffs the monotonous dreary tone he delivers every single line of dialogue in is grating more than ever now. He's a brutal actor.

Well said, he delivers the same tone in every scene, even when they arrived at the kids childrens party and the guy met him at the door, his reaction looked fake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Certainly, I do think 2.04 deserves a bit of a kicking. The editing of the first half annoyed me somewhat. And the second contained that line 'are you ready to embrace the darkness?'. Christ. Someone actually wrote that down and not in a trailer voice. I mean, yeah, maybe it was part of the sell to the schoolgirl, but cringe.

I'm glad the PSNI has a fancy pants A3 printer for printing out arty desktop pics. The hotel room schematic to show the beardy dope, meh. That attic collapse was as obvious as anything, really. But yes, between that and the hairdresser at the hospital you'd have to guess his spidey sense is tingling. Pathologist a la motorbike, more of that, please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I gave up on it after episode 2 of this season. I still record it and forwarded through the 3rd episode last night. Every time I turned on a scene with Anderson or Dornan they spoke in the same dull tone as ye all mentioned.

Glad I dropped it. Will forward to the end but for anyone who hasn't made it to season 2, don't bother!

I gave up on it after episode 2 of this season. I still record it and forwarded through the 3rd episode last night. Every time I turned on a scene with Anderson or Dornan they spoke in the same dull tone as ye all mentioned.

Glad I dropped it. Will forward to the end but for anyone who hasn't made it to season 2, don't bother!

Great advice, avoid watching season one because you will think, oh this is good i wonder what happens next season where you are met with scenes the chuckle brothers wouldnt pull off, dull monotones from the leading cast, idiotic storylines where the writers try to introduce lesbianism and disturbing underage relations, the sheer stupidity of the cops would make chief wigam look good, all the while the main storyline has more holes in it than a lump of swiss cheese and basically the show now involves spector doing random bizarre things and the cops making a b*llox of the whole thing, i am only hanging on to see what happens to spector because i watched season one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If you're expecting this to be like CSI or Criminal Minds where a team of perfect cops get everything right first time and guess the right nuance on the flaky stuff and the whole case gets solved in time for tea you'll be disappointed with this, because it's real. Real people dealing with difficult situations, and screwing up. That's why it's interesting and absorbing: it's much less predictable than the usual stuff you get from the US and the characters are more relatable.

Chimaera wrote: »
    If you're expecting this to be like CSI or Criminal Minds where a team of perfect cops get everything right first time and guess the right nuance on the flaky stuff and the whole case gets solved in time for tea you'll be disappointed with this, because it's real. Real people dealing with difficult situations, and screwing up. That's why it's interesting and absorbing: it's much less predictable than the usual stuff you get from the US and the characters are more relatable.
    <not_sure_if_serious_meme.jpg>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

weadick wrote: »

I started watching the show for the first time last week. The very first episode blew me away. The remainder of the season was really good.

The second season though......

It reminds me a little bit of what happened with Homeland. In that instance, they copied an Israeli TV show and made an amazing first season. Then they brought in the writers from 24 and turned it into barely believable, sensationalist nonsense.

The Fall hasn't gone that bad yet but it does make me wonder if they're using the same writer(s) as the first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Chimaera wrote: »

I think that you'd have a point if it weren't for all of the other plot-holes that have surfaced this season. The Wire showed loads of bugling by the police but did so as part of a tight script. They intended to show police making mistakes because, as you say, that's what happens in real life. Here though, it just comes across as bad writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The Fall hasn't gone that bad yet but it does make me wonder if they're using the same writer(s) as the first season.

It's the same writer Allan Cubitt (the creator) - he's also directing this series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

While the second series is undoubtedly not on the same level as the first I still think it's better than a lot of what's on BBC/RTÉ at the moment. I admire their attempts to make something different and more character driven. Obviously they're not always going to nail it and I do think this was a one series kind of show and stretching it over 2 series has killed the atmosphere, the momentum, the everything of the first series.
    I'd assume it's safe to say The Fall was another attempt at nicking the "Nordic Noir" style but any of those shows I've watched have a different focus each series, they don't drag the case out over 2 or 3 series. The could have wrapped Specter up last year and then had Gibson off somewhere else investigating a murder or had the PSNI team investigating something else in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Tonight's drinking game. Everytime Stella is called mam you have to down a pint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

There's Charlo.

Advertisement