Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Tis a bit slow alright. That solicitor woman has a fine arse on her all the same.

The killer has good taste all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Thoroughly disappointed with that. Left it til the last minute for a bit of excitement.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm glad its not a wham bam thriller, I think the pace is fine, exactly what's needed to introduce the characters. The bad guy is obviously fecked up, but hes also the family guy and caring father.

Looking forward to the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

The pacing is fine, more realistic.

Gillian still looking fine. Enjoyed the gratuitous ass shot at the start to establish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There was enough in that to watch it again. Was perilously close to being too slow but characthers seem well drawn and interesting.
    Hotel room number scene was like a slap in the face, just didn't see the relevance, we'll see where it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 tonytenser

smcgiff wrote: »
    The pacing is fine, more realistic.

Gillian still looking fine. Enjoyed the gratuitous ass shot at the start to establish it.

care to elaborate on that ass shot bit? I know she does a raunchy sex scene in episode 2 with the guy who she gave her hotel number too as Gillian has been mentioning it a lot in interviews so any midly sexy scenes from episode 1 id love to hear details about.

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tonytenser

smcgiff wrote: »
    NO

Jesus, what is it with boards these days? cant anyone ask a simple question without people being flat out rude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

ElNino wrote: »
    If that is the case then I don't understand how RTE are airing the show before the BBC who made it. That would be totally unprecedented.

This is pure speculation on my part, but seems logical:

TV commissioning and production people copped on years ago that the Irish TV market is small and doesn't leak into the UK, while the UK market definitely leaks into Ireland.
    So, if a new series is shown in the UK first, lots of people in Ireland will see it and they won't be able to sell it to the Irish market (or at least, if they do, they won't sell it for as much).
    But if they sell it to RTE first, then that doesn't affect the price they can achieve when they sell it to the UK, cos people in Britain won't have watched it on Irish telly.
    Big US series regularly show on Irish channels a week or a few weeks ahead of British telly.

Eastenders starts in Ireland before the bbc to encourage irish people to watch it on rte.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Really enjoyed it. Been waiting forever for this to air. Well, maybe a year or more. They first started showing trailers during the Olympics, so I was expecting it a lot sooner than now.

Anyway, very slow burn, but enough in it to keep me interested and will defo tune in next week. Doesn't hurt that Jamie Dornan is a beaut :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Quite enjoyed it too, and will def be tuning in for the remainder of the series. Though I did see a lot of the commentary on twitter focusing on how slow paced it was. Didn't have a problem with it with myself.

DeWitt wrote: »
    Quite enjoyed it too, and will def be tuning in for the remainder of the series. Though I did see a lot of the commentary on twitter focusing on how slow paced it was. Didn't have a problem with it with myself.

It was slow enough that you could follow twitter while watching it.

DeWitt wrote: »

I don't know what people were expecting from it? All of the reviews I read of it said it was slow paced. Is it the fact that people aren't used to subtlety and smart stories on RTÉ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The first episode of the Danish version of the Killing isn't riddled with bodies.

If, 20 minutes in, we were seeing crime scene tape, and the flash of a camera focusing on a bloodied carpet, twitter would be saying this is an Irish CSI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tonytenser wrote: »
    Jesus, what is it with boards these days? cant anyone ask a simple question without people being flat out rude?
    To be fair, you're asking details on "how nudey" an actress gets during discussion of a TV show..

.. this is the kinda thing that stays primarily on IMDb or a fan forum.

Let's leave that kinda discussion there!

I don't know what people were expecting from it? All of the reviews I read of it said it was slow paced. Is it the fact that people aren't used to subtlety and smart stories on RTÉ?

Thats probably it, with my ADHD I couldn't settle down to focus on it. Im also not used to watching anything other than Fair City what with only having two channels as we are still in the eighties. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I thought it was very good. Jamie Donovan is unsettling/creepy, even if he does look like Ashton Kutcher. The only thing that confused me was that there were so many similar looking brunettes and it was hard to keep track of who was who.

syklops wrote: »
    Thats probably it, with my ADHD I couldn't settle down to focus on it. Im also not used to watching anything other than Fair City what with only having two channels as we are still in the eighties. :rolleyes:

That's not what I said. I was simply implying that RTÉ aren't known for producing anything like this, and based on the usual drivel they churn out (Raw, Love/Hate) it may have come as a surprise to some people to see a smartly written, carefully plotted slow burning drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There's slow paced and then there's wading through glue pace - this has potential but some scenes weren't needed and though clever the camera angle moving through the perps house made it seem very set like. It's attempting to be something its not - dialogue lacking - humour attempts jarring - I will watch the second one but I did feel like turning over halfway through - pity

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 SkadooshJ

That's not what I said. I was simply implying that RTÉ aren't known for producing anything like this, and based on the usual drivel they churn out (Raw, Love/Hate) it may have come as a surprise to some people to see a smartly written, carefully plotted slow burning drama.

Drivel??
    Love/Hate????

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I really enjoyed it. Will defo tune in again.

How many episodes are there in the series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

5, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Pretzill wrote: »
    There's slow paced and then there's wading through glue pace - this has potential but some scenes weren't needed and though clever the camera angle moving through the perps house made it seem very set like. It's attempting to be something its not - dialogue lacking - humour attempts jarring - I will watch the second one but I did feel like turning over halfway through - pity
    +1 on this pretty much. The scene where Gibson gave her room number was inconsequential to any of the storyline so far and for a viewer to remain enthralled dialogue has to be fluid. I don't care who funded it either. The premiere was almost like it was thrown together very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SkadooshJ wrote: »
    Drivel??
    Love/Hate????

Wow

In the sense that L/H's characters are cartoons in comparison. This series seems to be putting the complexity of character before one dimensional ubercool gangsta tricks and glitz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

Slow moving yes but I think I can give another 4 hours to it.

It's repeated on Saturday evening and available on the RTE Player.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Ah yeah I saw that after I posted.
    BBC Northern Ireland, which commissioned the script and put up two thirds of the £4.5 million budget. German rights group ZDF Enterprises came in alongside Irish broadcaster RTÉ and Flemish- language Belgian broadcaster VMMA

So very little then!
    Enough to get an "In Association with RTÉ" credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just watched the first episode,not bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gillian Anderson's character is trying to hard to be like Prime Suspect's Jane Tennison imo but ok first episode overall, Jamie Dornan looks quite young even with the beard but played his role quite well plus he is very hot :o

SkadooshJ wrote: »
    Drivel??
    Love/Hate????

Wow

Stereotypical cut outs for characters. Awful acting. Terrible dialogue. Awful music choices. Drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I enjoyed the episode. I see the mentioning of Scully giving her room number to some randon dude on the street. What was that all about? Yes, it seems to be that she is looking for a bit of nookie, but surely there's a little more to it?

Advertisement