Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I watched season 1 and thought it was good. Not great. Read a couple of reviews that said that this season was boring and drab. I don't get Gillian Anderson and her forced/contrived smouldering portrayal. Is season 2 worth watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

walshb wrote: »
    Is season 2 worth watching?

I found season 1 much better than season 2. It was still worth watching but boring enough at times and the ending was disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

walshb wrote: »
    I watched season 1 and thought it was good. Not great. Read a couple of reviews that said that this season was boring and drab. I don't get Gillian Anderson and her forced/contrived smouldering portrayal. Is season 2 worth watching?

No.. It really isn't.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watch it yourself and make up your own mind. (that sounds a bit rude, I don't mean it in that way). It's slow at times but then so was the 1st series. I'd imagine having all the episodes to watch at once would make it easier than having to wait a week between episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

No.. It really isn't.

Yeah don't bother, it will only annoy you.

PS. Spector did it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Other than a contrived plot device, why did Mr UVF smash his phone? It's the only point in the entire series he gave two hoots about the law. He'd just chopped off his tag, and has said multiple times he doesn't care about the police.
    Anyway, why was he released immediately after an attempted murder where another man had shot at the PSNI and been shot dead himself?!?! They had held and beat a man and pointed a gun at him then shot at cops and he was let straight out again?
    No wonder the police are always giving out about the revolving door!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Anyway, why was he released immediately after an attempted murder where another man had shot at the PSNI and been shot dead himself?!?! They had held and beat a man and pointed a gun at him then shot at cops and he was let straight out again?

He wasn't let out again Dan - he escaped in the van in that incident remember? So he was on the run from the police when he smashed his phone. I still don't see the point of smashing the phone tho - it's not like the police were tracking his calls or anything but in the scheme of things it's not that big a deal I don't think.
    To walshb, I'd agree with Tickle_Me_Elmo, don't expect it to be as good as season 1 but I still think only you can decide if it was worth watching or not. I was disappointed in the ending but overall it wasn't too bad, certainly better than a lot of stuff on the telly these days.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    He wasn't let out again Dan - he escaped in the van in that incident remember? So he was on the run from the police when he smashed his phone.
    Ah yes, ta. He just didn't seem to pay any heed at all to the law, no problem shooting Spector in front of lots of armed cops etc. so why would he even bother smashing the phone. That reporter didn't seem to care too much about a fugitive stealing his car and phone either with PSNI lads right across the road. And then he got a lift off him later to take a few photos. I mean, he's going straight to jail for that scoop!

That reporter didn't seem to care too much about a fugitive stealing his car and phone either with PSNI lads right across the road. And then he got a lift off him later to take a few photos. I mean, he's going straight to jail for that scoop!

He didn't mind because they're secretly best friends!

B5NrdDcCIAEVAG3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

The two seasons are complete opposite ends of quality. Absolutely terrible season, I hope thats the end of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Mr UVF

Lol. Sash would have to be orange I presume!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Other than a contrived plot device, why did Mr UVF smash his phone?

congrats for knowing the difference and not calling him "IRA man"

Riskymove wrote: »

Other than knowing he's a Loyalist was it ever actually specified which group he was involved with? Not that it matters, just wondering.

Riskymove wrote: »
    Congrats on failing to tell me why this makes a blind bit of difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Raf32 wrote: »
    The two seasons are complete opposite ends of quality. Absolutely terrible season, I hope thats the end of that.

Oh god...there isn't a Season 3....is there?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Oh god...there isn't a Season 3....is there?:eek:

One can only hope there isnt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I doubt it they would have to try and end the story some way, it was a bit of an abrupt end but was only half expecting that would happen but with your man jimmy the ending was predicable. Paul at least told the truth just that the whole rose thing was hard to know what the outcome would be but I figured he would have kept her alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Other than knowing he's a Loyalist was it ever actually specified which group he was involved with? Not that it matters, just wondering.

I always thought he was IRA. I suppose for dramatic effect, you would have more fear of the IRA especially for international audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

^Jimmy had a big loyalist tattoo on one of his shoulders.

Congrats on failing to tell me why this makes a blind bit of difference...

it doesn't make any difference to the programme

I just thought it interesting that a number of people couldn't tell the difference anymore...perhaps it's part of the legacy of the now relatively peaceful north

or perhaps it's just showing my age!

• Advertisement

I always thought he was IRA. I suppose for dramatic effect, you would have more fear of the IRA especially for international audiences.

the guys who were arrested and who had the cop shot earlier on in the series were supposed to be republicans while Jimmy and his mates are loyalists

individual organisations are not mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Apart from the ridiculous and predictable ending I really enjoyed that. Really good police drama I thought with an excellent turn from Jamie Dornan.

The only thing that confuses me is the title. Why 'The Fall'? Am I missing something really obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Apart from the ridiculous and predictable ending I really enjoyed that. Really good police drama I thought with an excellent turn from Jamie Dornan

BAN THIS TROLL :pac:

[yes I know you're not a troll]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Apart from the ridiculous and predictable ending I really enjoyed that. Really good police drama I thought with an excellent turn from Jamie Dornan.

The only thing that confuses me is the title. Why 'The Fall'? Am I missing something really obvious?

The "Falls Road" ?

The "Falls Road" ?

The Falls Rd isn't really in the same area the show was based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

The Falls Rd isn't really in the same area the show was based.

But it was in Belfast, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I thought it was like 'Fall from Grace' or a fall from being perfect

But it was in Belfast, no?

Yes, but not on or near the Falls Road or relevant to it, so I doubt that had anything to do with the naming of it.

Lisha wrote: »
    I thought it was like 'Fall from Grace' or a fall from being perfect

Didn't Satan fall from heaven or something? Maybe it's just a reference to evil?

I did look this up and discovered all the characters are named after guitars!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Didn't Satan fall from heaven or something? Maybe it's just a reference to evil?

I did look this up and discovered all the characters are named after guitars!

Lol the fact that two fairly major characters were both called Tom leads me to conclude the writer was probably not stretching his imagination too much!

Advertisement