Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Didn't Satan fall from heaven or something? Maybe it's just a reference to evil?

I did look this up and discovered all the characters are named after guitars!

Yes I think you are right lucifer fell from heaven and was then called satan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Heaven

Only ever hinted at in the series, with brief mentions of Dante (and I don't know if he actually wrote about it).

In terms of imagery, that freaky ass nightmare painting was a great touch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Didn't Satan fall from heaven or something? Maybe it's just a reference to evil?

I did look this up and discovered all the characters are named after guitars!
    True, Lucifer was one of the archangels before being banished to hell.
    No idea what this has to do with the show though. Maybe it's just set around autumn time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I didn't enjoy this series as much as the last but I did continue to watch and I thought the finale was very good and suspenseful.
    Hated the ending though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

ivytwine wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Heaven

Only ever hinted at in the series, with brief mentions of Dante (and I don't know if he actually wrote about it).

In terms of imagery, that freaky ass nightmare painting was a great touch.

The painting depicts night terrors which have nothing to do with Dante or Hell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think the relevance of the painting may have been the incubus sitting on the woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I think the relevance of the painting may have been the incubus sitting on the woman.

Yeah, what Anderson said to him was that he was that incubus and she was the sleeping woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

2nd series was quite poor imo which was a shame as I thought the 1st series was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I thought the name The Fall might have been in reference to Spector's fall from power and control.

In the first season his kills are increasing etc., in the second season each episode seemed to be building more and more evidence against him until he's finally arrested and his freedom is taken away from him.

I suppose anyone could just take their own meaning from it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

eternal wrote: »
    The painting depicts night terrors which have nothing to do with Dante or Hell.

I know. It didn't really have any relevance to the title either, I was just thinking out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Some really poor oversights by the writers in this. I had to laugh watching the scene where they drove Spector to the site where Rose Stagg was kept. They needed Spector to help them find this spot, Stella asks him for directions from where they were at that point. He tells them to drive straight on and then take a turn in the road ahead.

Low and behold the ambulance and back up police car are already waiting at this spot without ever being told. Someone should have questioned the drivers of the ambulance and police jeep it seems they knew where to wait before Spector even broke the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Some really poor oversights by the writers in this. I had to laugh watching the scene where they drove Spector to the site where Rose Stagg was kept. They needed Spector to help them find this spot, Stella asks him for directions from where they were at that point. He tells them to drive straight on and then take a turn in the road ahead.

didn't Stella tell them to go on ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I just found out what an incubus is

All serial killers read Dante, all any detectives need to do next time there is a spate of similar murders is go round the local libraries/ book shops to see who's been reading The Inferno- job done. Am off to try and sell my idea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I just found out what an incubus is

All serial killers read Dante, all any detectives need to do next time there is a spate of similar murders is go round the local libraries/ book shops to see who's been reading The Inferno- job done. Am off to try and sell my idea....

Isn't that how they caught John Doe in
    Seven

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

xalot wrote: »
    Isn't that how they caught John Doe in
    Seven

was it? damn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Only caught up on the finale last night and like most of you I found it unsatisfying. I actually got more into the second series than the first - I preferred the attempts to catch Spector to the portrayl of his heinous deeds.

I thought overall the acting in the series was pretty strong but I began to tire of Gillian Andersons smouldering, whispering character pretty early on.

Then the ending proved pretictable and they drew it out way to much. I was happy Rose was found alive - I too believe she scratched her own arm as a message to her husband - and she also opened her wrist -

Stella trying to get help for Spector at the end was because he was more seriously hurt and most would prefer to see the perp do his time than be put out of his misery so easily. But I think they were building tension to make us think Spector would somehow over power the young detective and get away - I could not understand why they were just standing there handcuffed to one another in the clearing. Why he wasn't surrounded by more officers or bundled into a police car and driven back to custody as soon as Stella found Rose.

It was a blunder of an ending. And the entire series did nothing for promoting good police work. If they had somehow condensed the second series into the first - which would have been easy considering the amount of no dialogue lengthy scenes and concluded it there it may have been a better thing to do.

^ What could have worked well was if they'd put some of 2 into 1 up to the point he was arested and then have S2 be the interrogation and the PSNI actually having to prove he did it. Other than the scissors most of what they had was circumstantial and any defense lawyer worth his salt would have been able to argue against a lot of it. It could have had the same overall effect in that Spector's past and mindset could have been slowly revealed and they could have kept all the good stuff like his relationship with his daughter and the wife learning everything at the same time we were. The second series was only spanned about a week anyway so it could equally have covered an extended custody and a court hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I think I actually enjoyed season 2 on the whole much more than season 1. However this was mainly because I thought things were ramping up a gear and lots of things leading places....boring ending I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Missed series 2 of this anyone know where I could watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

je551e wrote: »

Have PM'd you.

• Advertisement

It'll be on Netflix next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

It'll be on Netflix next month.

Season 1 aswell. ? I have seen season 2 but missed 1 and heard twas much better.

bazermc wrote: »
    Season 1 aswell. ? I have seen season 2 but missed 1 and heard twas much better.

I assumed 1 is already up there? It was last time I looked but that's a while ago now.

Will there be a third series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

The second series will be on Netflix on Jan 16th
    Will there be a third series?
    At the Television Critics Association press tour on Wednesday (January 7) morning, creator Allan Cubitt teased that a third season is likely, even if hasn't been formally announced.

"We're in a situation where I'm very confident there will be a third season. But because of internal BBC situation at the moment, it hasn't been officially announced," Cubitt told reporters.

"I think the story can continue, but I'll have to reserve judgment on that, I think, until I get the green light and the go-ahead.
    'The Fall' creator expects Season 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've a feeling the Netflix date is US only. iirc, that's what they did last year and yesterday's Q&A with Jamie and Gillian was tagged under US Netflix's Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement