Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

...but I just don't think I trust the writers to reward the wait in any form of an acceptable payoff.

Yes, because him suddenly turning to the camera and revealing himself as not having memory loss is not going to be a huge shock to the viewers. He knows its him, we know its him, they know its him ...... so whats the pay off for the viewer? Shoulda had a different killer each series..... ala prime suspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

well that was another hour of nothing happening, its obvious the writers know its a ball of sh1te so they decided to throw in another random scene of cantona downing vodka in the jacks, dreadful stuff, more random scenes of the katie one sitting on some steps and sitting in a changing room, what the heck is that all about? tune in next week to see where katie will be sitting, is she going to be the new presenter of lesser spotted Ulster?
    And of course when you see an attempted suicide you always make sure to film it instead of actually helping the people.... and its definitely something they show on the news...
    Interesting to see Neil Lennon make his TV debut as a header in the mad house....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

That episode was terrible. It's getting slower, if that's possible. And I bleedin' knew the writers would wuss out on following through killing off the wife and kids. I find it hard to believe that it would be all over the news and that the Stella wouldn't have got a call before it all made it's way to the news.

The stuff with the nurse and Spector is dragging, how is she looking longingly at him (no Jamie Dornan is hot jokes please) knowing what he's done, with all the evidence stacked up against him how are the writers going to try and convincingly get him off. Cantona drinking is just gonna lead to a scene that would have looked off but the writers will say "but we showed you him drinking before!". It's a joke of a season, they should have finished season 2 off properly instead of a cut to black when he was shot. Dragging this out was a terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This show is putting years on me yet I'm still persisting with it... As another poster said, maybe we'll get a big payoff from the writers after all this tedious treacle-like build up but I'm not hopeful!

The guy seemed to only have the pretty nurse watching him in the hospital (24-7) with seemingly little or no security presence but when moved to his new home he's locked up. WTF. There's no logic in it. The attempted suicide scene played out on the news was ludicrous. Not even Sky news would stoop that low.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    This show is putting years on me yet I'm still persisting with it... As another poster said, maybe we'll get a big payoff from the writers after all this tedious treacle-like build up but I'm not hopeful!

The guy seemed to only have the pretty nurse watching him in the hospital (24-7) with seemingly little or no security presence but when moved to his new home he's locked up. WTF. There's no logic in it. The attempted suicide scene played out on the news was ludicrous. Not even Sky news would stoop that low.

I have also persisted with it but i really cant see where they can go with it unless spector makes an escape of maybe beats up neil lennon but if they do that then what? start the killing all over again? the show is done....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

How many more episodes in this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

mad m wrote: »
    How many more episodes in this season?

You say that as if there might be more to come :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You say that as if there might be more to come :(

Yeah unfortunately it does, If there is only 2 left I'd say he will escape that nut house, hence season 4!!!!!!! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There are 6 episodes this season so 2 left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

They're trying to retcon a split personality to make us wonder if he really has forgotten everything and possibly make us care about the poor character who doesn't know anything about the crimes he's accused of, I don't see it working. Stella mentions reading about this previously unmentioned split in his diaries and he brings it up with the nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

The 5th episode is on next Sunday 23rd Oct on RTE1.

BBC2 have the 5th episode on the following Thursday 27th Oct.

FYI

BBC2 have the final episode on the next day, Friday 28th Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

brian_t wrote: »
    BBC2 have the final episode on the next day, Friday 28th Oct.

BBC BBas-@^ds are always changing schedule like that. Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

They won't get Jamie for another series. This will be the last (thank God!)

Crea wrote: »
    They wont need Jamie in order to do another series.

I think they should have moved on to a new investigation for this series anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

They wont need Jamie in order to do another series.

I think they should have moved on to a new investigation for this series anyway.

Isn't the show's entire premise based on the sexual chemistry between Jamie Doran and Scully? If this goes they might as well start a new show.

Isn't the show's entire premise based on the sexual chemistry between Jamie Doran and Scully?

Was there any in the whole of series one.

dont forget cantona who appears obsessed with scully

was this dornans first big gig that kick started his career? i'd say he was like this is great i'm in the big time now then fast forward to series 3 and he is like, ah here this is a load of sh1te get me out......its like when the drumlish country festival hooked nathan carter into a 3 year appearance deal just before he made it big and now hes like how the eff do i get out of this one....:D

jezzer wrote: »
    was this dornans first big gig that kick started his career? i'd say he was like this is great i'm in the big time now then fast forward to series 3 and he is like, ah here this is a load of sh1te get me out......its like when the drumlish country festival hooked nathan carter into a 3 year appearance deal just before he made it big and now hes like how the eff do i get out of this one....:D

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Dornan but yeah he others in this definitely deserve better than what they have been given to work with this season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

His big break was probably as the sheriff in Once Upon A Time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Jamie, bless him for all his looks, is not a great actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Well it was building.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I seriously think if it werent for gilly ..... nobody would be arsed watching this. Its the emperors new clothes.

Personally I think Anderson is one of the worst ones in this. Her monotone slow as f**k whispering have me wishing Dornan escapes and does away with her.
    And of course when you see an attempted suicide you always make sure to film it instead of actually helping the people.... and its definitely something they show on the news...

I don't know about the news showing it, particularly before the PSNI even knew about it but I don't find the person filming it all that surprising, particularly when there were enough other people actually doing something. It's sad but people do film stuff like this all the time. Probably would have been slightly more realistic if instead of on the news it was doing the rounds on social media. Far more believable that it could be on FB or twitter before the PSNI caught wind.

I'm fairly sure Dornan said recently that he would play Paul forever if he could. I think he just likes getting paid to be at home in Belfast.

The Fall was pretty much what launched him onto the international stage. He was in that terrible Once Upon a Time show for a few episodes but other than it being a US Network show I don't think it could really be considered his "big break". Fairly sure it was The Fall that got him cast in 50 Shades, which says a lot, and then that kick started the rest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

As for this episode... more of the same. Nothing happening and it's all not happening at an extremely slow pace.

The thing that really annoys me is that things like Sally Ann deciding to kill herself and the kids was done in literally one scene, like almost out of nowhere in terms of what we see on screen. While that's happening we get about 5 minutes of Katie decorating an envelope and trying to get it to Paul. WTF?!

It seems pretty bloody obvious that his lawyers are going to poke all sorts of holes in the prosecution case and he'll walk. I think I said it after series 2 when people were wondering how on earth they could do a 3rd series that other than his confession their whole case was pretty shaky. The fact Stella leads him in most of the interview coupled with how obsessed she is with him, and vise versa, is probably enough to cast doubt. The only thing they can definitely tie him to is Rose, and given she's still alive he's looking at kidnapping/false imprisonment at worst, and if his lawyers are sneaky enough they can probably get him off that too, given she went "willingly" with him.

What really bugs me, and I've probably said this before, is that there was actually a fair bit of scope for a 3rd series but they seem intent on having the focus solely on Dornan and Anderson and they're ignoring all the characters and side plots that could have made quite a compelling 3rd series. I get that originally the show was supposed to be centered on Paul but it would have been a much braver decision to shift that focus here and have him not completely ignored but much more on the periphery of it all.

RTE are showing the final episode on Friday 28th October at 9pm on RTE2

Same time as BBC2

Although BBC2 will finish first as no ad breaks.

Just to add. It's repeated the next day - Saturday after the usual repeat of Sundays episode (RTE1)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

It's just as well this show has a dream sequence nearly every episode as otherwise nothing at all would happen. In fact, since it's a dream I guess nothing does happen...
    That psycho serial torture murderer hospital? I've stayed in more intimidating youth hostels.
    Too many incidents of dire writing and incredulous storyline to go into really. It's entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

dont forget cantona who appears obsessed with scully
    Did he do anything at all in this episode except drink in the jacks? Is a tiny bottle of whatever in the jacks really the sign of an alco anyway? It's barely a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

None of the other characters are calling scully "Mam" in the season. It was non stop Mam in the last two season.

Advertisement