Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall (RTE1/BBC2) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

hardCopy wrote: »
    what was the point of introducing us to Detective Booty-Call and killing him so early on? The only reason I can think of is that Scully's reaction will tell us more about her personality.
    Also, (I'm assuming he's dead for this) they'll have to go through his last known movements. It will come out that he was with Gibson. They'll probably find that picture he sent her on his phone.

I think he was just a device to open her up to ridicule within the force, possibly even animosity if it turns out he was married.

Tickle me Elmo (I can't multi-quote for some reason), you're right. They were using mirroring a lot. It got a bit sledgehammery at times.
    • Killer bathes his victim. Later bathes his daughter.
    • Showing the killer's kind of foreplay with his victim, then Gibson and whatshisname and their foreplay.
    • Father seeing his dead child and saying "Can I touch her" and "My baby". Woman with new baby in hospital says the same.
    Those are the ones off the top of my head, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Well it has us thinking anyway! :D
    Thinking more about it, there is something between him and his wife, she has an air of resignation about her, as if she knows something or is afraid to say what she is feeling with him (the babysitter scene being odd in the extreme)
    I think it is either she is involved or he has done something in the past (the daughters drawing etc) that she knows about.
    There is definately some trauma in the relationships past, which we don't know an awful lot about yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Tickle me Elmo (I can't multi-quote for some reason), you're right. They were using mirroring a lot. It got a bit sledgehammery at times.

On the one hand I think it's great that the BBC are trying something different with this, it's not just your normal run of the mill cop catches bad guy show, but on the other hand it does seem a bit like they're trying too hard at times?

Maybe it's because I've watched so much of the Danish/Swedish stuff that's been on lately that I'm comparing them too much, but like I said, I think it's good that they've commissioned something like this and who knows maybe the next few episodes will iron out all the kinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

On the one hand I think it's great that the BBC are trying something different with this, it's not just your normal run of the mill cop catches bad guy show, but on the other hand it does seem a bit like they're trying too hard at times?

Maybe it's because I've watched so much of the Danish/Swedish stuff that's been on lately that I'm comparing them too much, but like I said, I think it's good that they've commissioned something like this and who knows maybe the next few episodes will iron out all the kinks.
    Oh yeah, I'm still pretty impressed with it overall. Just being nit-picky.

Do you guys think there's anything to the mother story he told the baby sitter? About the hair, I mean?

I found it almost creepier than the real reason he had it, such a random way to try to explain it. I'm not saying it is actually his mothers hair and he washes it occasionally, but maybe his mother died when he was young, the same age as his victims, she probably looked like them too. Maybe that's why he went into grief counselling too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

syklops wrote: »
    If he is meant to be a genius killer, then would he not wait until his wife went to work before he got the babysitter drunk?

I don't think he has much interest in the baby sitter.

He's got an indealised woman, and it's a professional in her thirties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I was viewing a Northern Ireland Sky TV box on Saturday night, and The Fall wasn't on - a caption said 'This Programme is unavailable'.

Programmes before and after it worked OK.

Any ideas why anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

I was viewing a Northern Ireland Sky TV box on Saturday night, and The Fall wasn't on - a caption said 'This Programme is unavailable'.

Programmes before and after it worked OK.

Any ideas why anyone?

The BBC are showing it too and they have priority in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Really? So its barred from Sky in NI in this case?

Strange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I watched it on BBC 2 on Sky tonight.

Pace is going to have to rapidly speed up if they are to catch him. Hope we find out his motivation for the killings.

• Advertisement

Really? So its barred from Sky in NI in this case?

Strange!

Same thing happens here when ITV are showing sport on ITV3 or ITV4 that's being shown in Ireland on an Irish channel. You can't watch it on ITV, it just says "this program is not available in Rep. of Ireland".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

I really love this programme, the killer gives me the heebie geebies, everything he does creeps me out!

PinkFly wrote: »
    I really love this programme, the killer gives me the heebie geebies, everything he does creeps me out!

Was just going to say, last week someone was saying he was too normal, not creepy enough. They made up for that in the 2nd episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

What is up with the wife? I wonder does she know of his extra curricular activities?

Interesting to see what the kid says about the attack on the babysitter. Did he see his kid looking through the door?

Was just going to say, last week someone was saying he was too normal, not creepy enough. They made up for that in the 2nd episode.

Too normal? :0 he was stalking the victim,mooching in her underwear, planning every last minute of the murder, even sketching the woman in his session naked and keeping a diary of it!! He's certainly not normal!

I think the sister finding her and putting the baby on the bed was just to highlight the horrific situation.

Last week he seemed a bit more normal with his family, this week he just seemed plain weird around them. He did not seem like a family man this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Post murder, he's hardly going to be doing the happy daddy routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

smcgiff wrote: »
    I don't think he has much interest in the baby sitter.

He's got an indealised woman, and it's a professional in her thirties.

Then why is he entertaining her? Its not to appear normal. He also looked up her songs on youtube. I doubt its because he likes her music.

syklops wrote: »
    Then why is he entertaining her? Its not to appear normal. He also looked up her songs on youtube. I doubt its because he likes her music.

He seems very tempted by her as she's such an easy prey even though she's not his ' norm'

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Just caught up with it on the RTEPlayer frankly I'm confused, lol but thats me I never really get these things.

One thing I think I got was the role reversal of her relationship with the young cop, like she acts like the man whereas he appears like a "traditional" whiny girl after a one night stand, moaning that she didn't want him again and sending stupid texts. Him being married (with kid) has to be relevant so I agree with an earlier poster that it will be used against her when they trace his movements (I know its only a show but I feel so bad for his wife who we haven't seen, not cause he's dead but the fact this will all come out, how mortifying would that be). Frankly I was amazed such a dim and idiotic policeman made it to detective status.

Or the condoms could link to the photo with the journalist and people assume she slept with the journalist that night. Maybe. I dunno :)

As for the killer plot I'm kinda lost :p I'm probably lost on that other plot too lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lisha wrote: »
    The wife went off to work after saying 'she's underage' I found that strange too. Logical thing would have been for wife to say 'you're soaked I'll drop you home in my car on my way to work'

That was quite an unrealsitic scene. The wife seems to have some cop on, yet doesn't think much of that situation. Him with two beer bottles, her only15?

I feel there is more to the wife than meets the eye too, that all seemed highly unrealistic with her leaving the babysitter rather than offering to drive her home on her way to work. So yeah I'm kinda suspicious of the wife too, not that she knows stuff but I think there might be more to her than we are seeing. The fact the show is so 'open' regarding what we see makes me think there is actually a whole load of stuff under the surface that will change everything up come the finale.

I reckon this show will have some either amazing or lame ending to tie up all of these storylines. It had better be good if I'm going to sit through the rest of these episodes. :)

I also feel the cop shooter is totally unrelated to his previous case regarding the earlier shooting, it was too obvious with him mocking the guy during the phone call and then getting shot. I know also don't think that cop is dead despite the amount of shots fired (they can use a lame bulletproof vest angle). I personally feel the character is a douche but was deliberately cast as attractive to make him likable.

I guess this is a good show in the sense I watched in last night and was thinking about it today. Makes you think about stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Maybe it will be leaked to the press about the lock of hair being cut from the victim and the baby sitter will realise who the killer is.

Possibly but she seems like such an idiot. She'll be too dim to realise it, I feel a lot of the characters are oblivious to things right in front of them. Though thats probably cause as a viewer I see everything.

I think the babysitter will certainly be the kill or attempted kill that gets him in the end. I'm almost more interested in where the tangential plots will end up, bear in mind this has been renewed for a second season, so something will need to carry over after episode 5.

Can anyone see the murderer going after Gillian Anderson, she does not exactly fit his profile but it would be an interesting dimension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

Mister R wrote: »
    bear in mind this has been renewed for a second season.

I'm not sure it has.

It was reported last week that a renewal was thought likely but that Gillian Andersons busy schedule was likely to be a hindrance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

brian_t wrote: »
    I'm not sure it has.

It was reported last week that a renewal was thought likely but that Gillian Andersons busy schedule was likely to be a hindrance.
    her twitter says something like room 203 booked til 2014, for it to carry over means they shot two endings or they were gonna leave it all unfinished.

I'm dropping it myself for now, as it's not great, and I'll see what the reviews say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Which police officer was shot? The one who got some nookie at the start?

Watch it

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    I'm not sure it has.

She has a new NBC show Crisis, and I dunno what the story is with her recurring role in Hannibal. Even if Crisis gets a full order it won't be a 22 episode show, only 13 apparently so won't have the workload say Revenge or CSI has in terms of filming.

Another forum I saw suggested the BBC would be able to fit Season 2 filming in around her schedule.

Advertisement