Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working In France for Summer 2013

Options
  • 08-02-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I'm studying French in UCD (as well as English) and I would love to go to France for the summer to improve my French and help me survive second year!! My French is pretty good but definitely needs a lot of work.

I'd really like to get a job over there for the summer but have absolutely no idea how to go about it!! Ive looked online and have found nothing...any websites were all British and needed a British pernament address etc..

Also I would love to hear of anyones past experiences as in accomadation the people, job availability etc.
    I have no connection in France at all so really dont know where to begin but im eager to get started.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Merci Beaucoup! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GMusicMan

I'm kind of in the same situation myself... Have my flight booked to Nice but apart from that I'm pretty much clueless! Anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I'm also in the same bateau!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Have you considered au pairing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Getting paid work is not easy - all the part-time seasonal work tend to go to locals who are unemployed the rest of the year. If your primary motivation is to learn the language you can live almost cost-free by volunteering for numerous music festivals that take place all through the summer. You usually get food and a place to pitch a tent in exchange for labour. You'll meet loads of people, have a great time and get your conversational French up to a great standard ... but you won't earn any money.

If earning money is your priority ... go to Germany. :)

Here's a something that might be of interest - http://forum.tradzone.net/topic/10356-voici-un-job-pour-les-vacancessurtout-pour-les-etudiants (see especially the last, most up-to-date post).

Great site for festival info if you're into trad music & dance (of a kind virtually unknown in Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 MJT

Have you considered au pairing?

I've considered it but it's not something I want to do. I think it's great for some people but not for me. I just feel with the lack of regulation it's very open to abuse.

Here's a something that might be of interest - http://forum.tradzone.net/topic/10356-voici-un-job-pour-les-vacancessurtout-pour-les-etudiants (see especially the last, most up-to-date post).

Great site for festival info if you're into trad music & dance (of a kind virtually unknown in Ireland).

Thanks CelticRambler! Is this something you have done and have experience with?

Palo Alto wrote: »
    I'm also in the same bateau!

:mad: so frustrating! any developments on your front?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Not really, at medical school so it's not leaving that much time to organize anything, the last post that was linked to by Celticrambler looked interesting, working with disabled kids on holiday near Montpellier, I see the summer jobs aren't up yet but that's something I'd be up for doing.

Not the handicapped children thing - I volunteer at festivals to get away from work!

Re anything in France: don't wait for information to appear on the Net - you've got to gouge it out of someone. France is still coming to terms with that new-fangled invention, the telephone. If you want info, you have to ask for it. You can use the telephone to do so - there's a 50-50 chance someone will answer it, as opposed to, e.g. sending an e-mail where the typical rate of response is much lower [unless you 'phone up to tell your correspondent that you sent them an e-mail and would they mind checking their Inbox, and replying to you, s'il vous plait, in which case you'll might actually get a response (handwritten) within 30 days])

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cate3may

you should check out FUSAC online... good for jobs that are not the obvious au pairing....
    also its good for short term rentals (in the less than 3 month section) as accommodation is the biggest problem if you are in places like Paris....
    sorry FUSAC is just for the Paris region... don't know if that helps

Also you should email your cv to all the Irish bars as its mainly french people who go into them so you'll get to practice your french....

Advertisement