Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a young GP for a 20-year-old?

Options
  • 08-02-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been going to my GP for as long as I can remember, but recently I've not been happy with him. He gives me barely any time and doesn't cop symptoms that I'm having. He answers the phone in the middle of the appointment and sends me flying out the door, and I never get a chance to ask questions or anything.

Last straw for me was having him prescribe some heavy-duty medicine only for me to look it up and find recent research (the past two years) shows that it isn't even the slightest bit effective for what I have.

I'm a first-year med. student myself, like, but I still need a GP.

So, I'm on the look out for a new GP in the city centre/Douglas area. It can't be someone in the Blackrock Primary Healthcare place because that's where my current GP is.

Could anyone recommend a younger (qualified in the past four or five years) GP who seems to be "on the ball"?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Vivara wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been going to my GP for as long as I can remember, but recently I've not been happy with him. He gives me barely any time and doesn't cop symptoms that I'm having. He answers the phone in the middle of the appointment and sends me flying out the door, and I never get a chance to ask questions or anything.

Last straw for me was having him prescribe some heavy-duty medicine only for me to look it up and find recent research (the past two years) shows that it isn't even the slightest bit effective for what I have.

I'm a first-year med. student myself, like, but I still need a GP.

So, I'm on the look out for a new GP in the city centre/Douglas area. It can't be someone in the Blackrock Primary Healthcare place because that's where my current GP is.

Could anyone recommend a younger (qualified in the past four or five years) GP who seems to be "on the ball"?

Thanks.
    Haven't you had the class about never ever criticising another doctor no matter what the circumstances yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Shame on him, there are some GPs out there who are way to happy to be handing out perscriptions and don't listen to what you are saying.. Have to say I find Dr Deirdre Keane in douglas great. Really thorough and loverly to talk to, she certainly would not be answer calls while you are there.. She is just beside is it the barbers there on the main street in Douglas, a few doors down from KCs.

But pricey but sure aren't they all, think tis €50 - €60 depending what you get done..If you prefer male doctor there is Dr Crowley in the same building had him as my GP when I was a kid my dad still uses him and finds him great..went a few times when I was older and thought he was very good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

Hi, I've had similar problems with GP's in the past. I think some of them become complacent with you after a while and I think it's their personality not lack of interest in you. I've been going to Elmwood Medical Centre in Grange/Frankfield for a few years now. There are 2 male doctors and at least 4 female doctors and 2 nurses so provide a range of services. You can request any doctor you like at each visit so you don't have to stick to the one doctor in the clinic. Dr. Murphy is very good and I can honestly say that I've always been pleased with them. Hope you get sorted soon. With reference to someone else's comment on criticising doctors, 'who's the one paying for the service?' You've every right to voice your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Haven't you had the class about never ever criticising another doctor no matter what the circumstances yet?

Believe me, doctors criticise other doctors all the time; they're just extremely careful who actually hears the criticism. Plus, it's not like I mentioned any names. There are at least fifteen doctors in the primary healthcare centre.

I'll take all your suggestions into account and have got a few PMs as well. Any further recommendations would be appreciated... especially of any younger doctors.

Thanks guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

I second elmwood practice. excellent young interested doctors. I was up tjhete duting the week and the staff were great to a mother with twin babies helping her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

My recommendation would definitely be Dr Der Moloney, late 30's/early 40's but just brilliant and always helpful. He is based in Patrick Street, above the chemist next to Debenhams. He is great, I went to him with a pain in my leg a few years back (Did a lot of running so thought it was a pulled muscle) within two hours he had me in A&E and had diagnosed a clot in my leg, my consultant in the hospital said he actually saved my life by diagnosing it so quickly!! He really is great, would highly recommend him, have never been let down.....

Goldenlady wrote: »
    My recommendation would definitely be Dr Der Moloney, late 30's/early 40's but just brilliant and always helpful. He is based in Patrick Street, above the chemist next to Debenhams. He is great, I went to him with a pain in my leg a few years back (Did a lot of running so thought it was a pulled muscle) within two hours he had me in A&E and had diagnosed a clot in my leg, my consultant in the hospital said he actually saved my life by diagnosing it so quickly!! He really is great, would highly recommend him, have never been let down.....

Ha, I actually know him, so I won't be having him as my GP haha but I agree with your assessment!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I would say Dr Tadhg O'Sullivan in Dillon's Cross, Munster Rugby doctor too. Very ethical, always treats people with respect. Others at his clinic are really good too. €50 the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I've used Dr Declan O Brien in Dundanion medical centre, Black-rock for a long time now. There is a newer female doctor just started practicing there now - Dr Rachel Quigley - if you want a female doctor.

I'd highly recommend both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

yenom wrote: »
    I would say Dr Tadhg O'Sullivan in Dillon's Cross, Munster Rugby doctor too. Very ethical, always treats people with respect. Others at his clinic are really good too. €50 the last time I was there.

I second Tadhg O'Sullivan who is based in douglas and dillions cross. Theres also a female doctor working with him called Joanne Montgomery who very good also and is prob in her late 30s early 40s.

• Advertisement

Sergio wrote: »
    I second Tadhg O'Sullivan who is based in douglas and dillions cross. Theres also a female doctor working with him called Joanne Montgomery who very good also and is prob in her late 30s early 40s.

Where in Douglas is he based and what age is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

Dr Frank Mccarthy of the Washington st medical centre is realy good , 021 4270948

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

surely OP age has very little to do with it?
    doctors are meant to stay on top of the latest research not to mind basic courtesy to their patients. To be honest I would say his behaviour/knowledge has little to do with his age. All doctors should be "on the ball" as you put it, but to discount someone based on their years is a little unfair. My own GP, Dr Deasy is great but he isn't a spring chicken. He is fair and frank and clued in and gives me his time when I am there.
    ps.... not being rude but how reliable is the recent research done on your meds? in my experience- Experience has its merits as well as evidence based practice...
    Good luck finding someone suitable but please don't let age be a factor...

all_smilz wrote: »
    surely OP age has very little to do with it?
    doctors are meant to stay on top of the latest research not to mind basic courtesy to their patients. To be honest I would say his behaviour/knowledge has little to do with his age. All doctors should be "on the ball" as you put it, but to discount someone based on their years is a little unfair. My own GP, Dr Deasy is great but he isn't a spring chicken. He is fair and frank and clued in and gives me his time when I am there.
    ps.... not being rude but how reliable is the recent research done on your meds? in my experience- Experience has its merits as well as evidence based practice...
    Good luck finding someone suitable but please don't let age be a factor...

I would have been of the same opinion, before. Yes, of course, there are many older doctors who keep up to date with the research. But it is much more likely for younger doctors to be "on the ball" when it comes to research.

If you want the details, I was prescribed codeine as an anti-tussive (a cough suppressant).

This study says the following:
    Firstly, to study the antitussive efficacy of codeine in cough associated with URTI and, secondly, to validate a sound meter as tool for quantifying cough. The efficacy of codeine was assessed in a double-blind, stratified, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, clinical trial using three different measures of cough.

[...]

The results demonstrate that codeine is no more effective than placebo in reducing cough associated with acute URTI, as measured by CSPLs, cough frequency or subjective symptom scores.

Where URTI is an upper respiratory tract infection, which is what I had.

This study says the following:
    Codeine is often used as a standard antitussive against which new antitussives are compared. However there is little information available about the effects of codeine on cough associated with upper respiratory tract infection. The present study investigated the effects of codeine syrup B.P. (30 mg/10 ml, q.d.s.) or syrup vehicle on cough frequency and the subjective severity of cough during a 3-h laboratory phase and a 4-day home phase of treatment. Cough frequency and subjective scores of cough severity were significantly decreased during the 3-h laboratory phase but at no time point was there a significant difference between the codeine- and placebo-treated groups. The results of the 4-day home phase diary were similar to those of the laboratory phase as at no time point was there a significant difference between the mean scores for the codeine- and placebo-treated groups. The results indicate that codeine, either as a single 30-mg dose or in a total daily dose of 120 mg, is no more effective than the syrup vehicle in controlling cough associated with acute upper respiratory tract infection.

Codeine was just about as effective as a sugar syrup.

Similarly, this systematic review said that codeine was an ineffective gold standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

a pharmacist would probably have been the one to make the most current recommendations. I don't mean to make light of your problems with your current GP by my comments. He does not sound like he is behaving professionally.
    However if you are going to second guess your HCP then why not just directly ask for the prescription you want and have the discussion then.

all_smilz wrote: »
    a pharmacist would probably have been the one to make the most current recommendations. I don't mean to make light of your problems with your current GP by my comments. He does not sound like he is behaving professionally.
    However if you are going to second guess your HCP then why not just directly ask for the prescription you want and have the discussion then.

Yeah, I agree with you. But a GP should definitely be up-to-date on the research into antitussives, given that a cough is pretty much the most common complaint a GP deals with.

To be honest, I was absolutely dying at the time, and I was in the middle of exams, so I didn't have time to look it up. It was only after when it wasn't working that I decided to check.

Anyway, the way he deals with me isn't conducive to having a discussion. It's in the door and out.

Advertisement