Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To move or not to move???

• 08-02-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello,
    I'm a science (bio, phys, chem, rural science, maths) teacher teaching in UK the last 3 years in a comprehensive (Oxford Uni PGCE- but have gotten my Irish teaching council number).

Hoping to make the move back home for September 2013. As Uk notice periods are a pain in the arse, need to be handing in my notice before Easter to finish up in July. So more than likely will be coming home to a job hunt (scary!).

Basically want to know the chance of finding work? Dont mind not being permanent but really worried no one will want me with mainly UK experience. Any advice would be amazing:)
    Trish :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

My 2c ...?Stay put!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

There is a huge chance you won't get any work.
    Permanency is the least of your worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Decent subjects. Decent experience. There is no harm in coming back to have a look. If I was you I would have a Plan B in place just in case your not successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

chippers wrote: »
    Decent subjects. Decent experience. There is no harm in coming back to have a look. If I was you I would have a Plan B in place just in case your not successful.

There are hundreds and hundreds of teachers with decent subjects and decent experience who are unemployed. It is not just NQTs.
    The OP says that they are not worried about permanency yet ,which would suggest that they believe they have a good chance of getting steady work.
    I would be very reluctant to leave a full-time job.
    If the OP does want to take a chance, a huge chance, they should at least know the current job situation.
    "Coming back and having a look" won't pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

Appreciate the advice and information. I already knew the job scene was difficult but its good to have this reaffirmed by teachers already in the system.

Will have a good think about it between now and Easter.
    Trish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    There are hundreds and hundreds of teachers with decent subjects and decent experience who are unemployed. It is not just NQTs.
    The OP says that they are not worried about permanency yet ,which would suggest that they believe they have a good chance of getting steady work.
    I would be very reluctant to leave a full-time job.
    If the OP does want to take a chance, a huge chance, they should at least know the current job situation.
    "Coming back and having a look" won't pay the bills.

The poster wants to come home. I wouldn't totally discourage it. I appreciate the current situation but I also know teachers who have returned home and picked up work (half hours / 18 hours) with which they were happy. On the flip side there is plenty of work in the UK for science teachers if the poster had to return to the UK. Have a look on TES and you will see what I mean. This is what I meant by have a Plan B in place. I would encourage the other poster to have a look for positions in Ireland as I envisage they could quite easily pick up a position in the UK if they were unsuccessful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

depends on
    1) what your TC registered subjects are (doesn't matter that you can teach)
    2) where in the country you are basing yourself and how much you are willing to travel
    3) its only subbing you will get, doubt you will get anything more.
    Regarding previous experience in UK, i wouldn't say it would be better nor worse to be honest. Experience is good howver too much experience can come against someone regarding institutionalised in their last school.
    If you want to move home, move home as its now or never to be honest, things aren't going to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

TheDriver wrote: »
    depends on
    1) what your TC registered subjects are (doesn't matter that you can teach)
    2) where in the country you are basing yourself and how much you are willing to travel
    3) its only subbing you will get, doubt you will get anything more.
    Regarding previous experience in UK, i wouldn't say it would be better nor worse to be honest. Experience is good howver too much experience can come against someone regarding institutionalised in their last school.
    If you want to move home, move home as its now or never to be honest, things aren't going to improve.

What would you consider to be 'too much experience', TheDriver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

Why not just apply for all the jobs you can in ireland and attend as many interviews as possible? If you are successful, I assume you could resign your position in England.It would be quite a silly thing to hand in your notice and not have anything lined up............unless of course you dont mind doing the rounds when you come home,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to give you an idea of the jobs situation, we had 300 applicants, including many Ph. Ds for a 4 hour Chemistry position this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement