Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Frederick Street area?

Options
  • 09-02-2013 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My younger sister (24) is interested in renting a place in the city centre and has been looking round the North Frederick Street/Dorset Street/Parnell street area. She is looking for a 1 bed, living alone, and I'm just wondering if it's a safe enough area? Would there be a higher than average risk of break-ins and the like? (She's not on Boards so posting on her behalf).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Not the best areas tbh.Is there a specific part of town she needs to be near to for work or college?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

I'm grew up in this area and would agree that it wouldn't be great these days.

Not so much break ins but there would be a lot of undesirables hanging around at all hours of day and night and for a girl on her own not familiar with the area..... I wouldn't recommend.

There's just always something crazy happening before my eyes any time I'm passing through there. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Living in an apartment block anywhere is risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Oh no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Oh no it's not.
    Oh yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Oh no it's not.

Let me guess, You're an apartment owner somewhere in South Dublin up to their nuts in negative equity...never quite got to now the neighbours since you moved in, can't move out because the mortgage won't be covered by the rent.

I could be miles off. You could be a slum lord in a favella in Rio de Janeiro...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Oh no it's not.

Ha! There are perfect little parts of Dublin with no crime?

Anyway, I guess it would depend on the type of person your sister is OP. I've lived on my own in that area for a while, but I always make sure to make myself look as inconspicuous as possible, if I was going out dressed up I'd always get a taxi, and otherwise I'm always in hoodies and jeans...I live with my bf and another flatmate now though and I feel much better about it tbh :P

No matter where you're living, it's all about being sensible, so it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Let me guess, You're an apartment owner somewhere in South Dublin up to their nuts in negative equity...never quite got to now the neighbours since you moved in, can't move out because the mortgage won't be covered by the rent.

I could be miles off. You could be a slum lord in a favella in Rio de Janeiro...

Eh, no. And no.
    Ha! There are perfect little parts of Dublin with no crime?

Also no. Nowhere is "perfect" or crime free, but in general it would be a lot safer and more secure for a single girl living on her own to live in a nice, well run apartment block than on her own in an old cottage or crappy bedsit.

To say that "Living in an apartment block anywhere is risky" is clearly nonsense. Some of the most expensive homes in the world are in apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Eh, no. And no.

Also no. Nowhere is "perfect" or crime free, but in general it would be a lot safer and more secure for a single girl living on her own to live in a nice, well run apartment block than on her own in an old cottage or crappy bedsit.

To say that "Living in an apartment block anywhere is risky" is clearly nonsense. Some of the most expensive homes in the world are in apartment blocks.

What you said was living in an apartment anywhere is not risky. As in there's no risk. There are safer places than others, but there's nowhere that is risk-free. That's what I was picking at anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Merkin wrote: »
    Not the best areas tbh.Is there a specific part of town she needs to be near to for work or college?

She just wants to be within walking distance of the city center and to get a decent sized place. So many places she's seen are just 1 room with a kitchen in one corner and a small bed in the other, she wants a bit of space as she has a lot of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

I would say no Magenta. Just my opinion for what it's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm not sure what her budget is but she might be better looking around the Portobello and/or Rathmines area. Both very close to town and a more studenty vibe and in my opinion that bit safer than where she's thinking of. Is she absolutely dead-set on renting alone? She'd be able to get somewhere nice if she was willing to share with one other for example....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'Anywhere in the city centre' maybe. But I was living in an apartment block in Glasnevin, no hassle there...except me, hurling abuse at the telly when one of my teams lost a match

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi,

My younger sister (24) is interested in renting a place in the city centre and has been looking round the North Frederick Street/Dorset Street/Parnell street area. She is looking for a 1 bed, living alone, and I'm just wondering if it's a safe enough area? Would there be a higher than average risk of break-ins and the like? (She's not on Boards so posting on her behalf).

Thanks

I lived in the area for around 8 years, just moved last year and never had any problems. There is a rough enough element in the flats but I found they keep to themselves pretty much, never had any issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Not a good area tbh..full of drunks and Romas..especially around mountjoy square which is heaving with junkies when the sun comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Mongfinder General, if you have nothing helpful to add, don't post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Personally, I wouldn't live in that area, especially if I was a single woman.

Is there any particular reason she is looking there? Has she looked at other areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

She's also looking at Rathmines and Ranelagh but isn't happy at how much smaller the 1 beds are. I am trying to push her to get rid of some of her stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Sidd wrote: »
    I lived in the area for around 8 years, just moved last year and never had any problems. There is a rough enough element in the flats but I found they keep to themselves pretty much, never had any issues.

a rough element? If they keep themselves to themselves and you have never had any issues with them, how do you believe them to be rough?

Ive lived in the area over 16 years, the flats were once a little rough over 10 years ago but the last few years are very quiet these days

Some people just see corporation flats and assume straight away they are rough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I've lived in the area for the last 8 years, and still do. I've not had a single problem in all my time here.

Could you pm me the address and I can advise more accurately but in general anywhere in the area with an entrance on the main road is safe IMO within the normal provisos that go along with living anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I wouldn't like to live right on north frederick street tbh. Most of those buildings around there are in bits. I live a little bit further out from there in Phibsboro, where I am is only about 10mins walk from there but it makes all the difference, quite, no trouble, I still walk in and out to town in 15mins or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sidd

a rough element? If they keep themselves to themselves and you have never had any issues with them, how do you believe them to be rough?

Ive lived in the area over 16 years, the flats were once a little rough over 10 years ago but the last few years are very quiet these days

Some people just see corporation flats and assume straight away they are rough

Sorry, let me rephrase as I didn't mean to generalise, there are certain elements that are quite rough, obviously not everyone. Hardwicke St generally was grand, but there was a nasty enough mob around the Mary's Place flats.
    Don't want to focus on the negatives as I loved living in the area and never had a problem. It's a great location and only moved because I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not the nicest of spots for a first time renter to move tbh OP. Also correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most of the buildings around there of a pretty poor standard?

Has your sister considered other spots that would be within walking distance from the city center?

Depending on her budget Smithfield could be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

The area itself is okay. I live there and never had any trouble. Plenty of kids though around the flats though so that can get annoying but usually it's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I worked on Nth Fred St for 12 years and never a day went by when there was a handbag snatch, that was over 15 years ago, dont know what it's like these days....

Advertisement