Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best harness for a dog who pulls?

• 09-02-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi there, does anyone have any recommendations for harnesses for a chronic puller? I don't like the head collars or anything that ties around the neck as she coughs a lot when straining in the lead so I would prefer to take the pressure off her neck and I just don't trust head collars after bad experiences I've had. She's a large dog, golden retriever x rottie and is a bit over weight so would probably be looking at a larger size harness. Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Hi there, does anyone have any recommendations for harnesses for a chronic puller? I don't like the head collars or anything that ties around the neck as she coughs a lot when straining in the lead so I would prefer to take the pressure off her neck and I just don't trust head collars after bad experiences I've had. She's a large dog, golden retriever x rottie and is a bit over weight so would probably be looking at a larger size harness. Thanks in advance :)

If she's pulling on lead, she'll pull on harness & probably worse as a harness almost encourages them to pull. You'd be far better spending time teaching her to walk properly on lead. Liver/hotdog in the hand & plenty heel work. Just needs a lot of time put into it with dedicated 'walk properly' sessions.

Can't recommend any as I wouldn't recommend one in this case anyway but if you really want to go ahead with it, one that has plenty soft padding & not some of those horrible strappy sharp edges yokes you see.

Ps. Have two pullers myself but I spend the first 2mins of each walk re-teaching them their manners & we can then set off. I use harnesses when running with them though because I want them to pull but not take the strain on their necks for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Here's one I see daily in Laois.
    They pull him all around town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've been trying a lot with the whole walking nice training, she's doing well enough with it, if she pulls hard I stop walking and we don't move until the lead goes slack, lots of praise and off we go again, towards the end of the walk its fine as she's tired out and she will walk nicely by my side, but at the start she nearly has my arm ripped out! She's not the worst, my old terrier despite being less than half the size was way stronger, but I just feel I would have better control if I had a harness especially when walking past kids or crossing roads. She used to be walked on an ordinary harness as a pup but she's now off lead in the woods, not possible around the village though due to traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Have to agree they actually pull harder with a harness.

I've 2 pullers short tight rein is the only way I can stop the pulling after a minute they calm down,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I've been trying a lot with the whole walking nice training, she's doing well enough with it, if she pulls hard I stop walking and we don't move until the lead goes slack, lots of praise and off we go again, towards the end of the walk its fine as she's tired out and she will walk nicely by my side, but at the start she nearly has my arm ripped out! She's not the worst, my old terrier despite being less than half the size was way stronger, but I just feel I would have better control if I had a harness especially when walking past kids or crossing roads. She used to be walked on an ordinary harness as a pup but she's now off lead in the woods, not possible around the village though due to traffic.

As soon as she pulls try switching directions very quickly, set her up again, as soon as she pulls switch directions. Say nothing. Eventually she'll realise it's easier to stay at your side as she won't know what you intend doing. It'll force her to pay more attention to you. Ok, so you look like an idiot for a while :-) but it can work.

• Advertisement

Would it be best to just keep her on an ordinary harness then while keeping up with the training? I can't walk her on the collar anymore, I did it today as my uncle had the harness in his car and hearing her coughing so much was awful :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Harnesses only encourage a dog to pull, hence why dogs that pull sleds have harnesses on. You get get special training aids that go around front of chest and apply pressure when they pull.
    I would recommend a dogmatic head collar, they are great and I walk both my rotties with them. What's the bad experience you had with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I know you said no head collars but haltis really are amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A front connection harness does not encourage pulling, a back connection one would.

I have this one for Harley http://www.softouchconcepts.com/index.php/product-53/sense-ation-harness

Andreac I had a halti for my old jrt x staffie and she slipped out of it and ran straight out in front of a car, luckily she didn't get hit but I don't trust them ever since, and this dog is technically my uncles dog, so i couldn't risk anything happening to her! I might try a front connecting harness though, that sounds like the kind of thing I was looking for :)

• Advertisement

I found it works where head collars didn't, with my own dog and with others. I'd still recommend working on lead manners, but the harness gives you a lot more control while you're working on it.

Whispered wrote: »
    I found it works where head collars didn't, with my own dog and with others. I'd still recommend working on lead manners, but the harness gives you a lot more control while you're working on it.

Yeah that's exactly what I need, I know it isn't all down to the harness but something that would give me better control over her without putting her trachea at risk would make it so much easier when it comes to lead manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

The front connecting harnesses are a great job,I know someone that has one on a jack russell & its the only thing that got him to stop pulling. They sell them in dog traning ireland in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

See if you can get either a Halti harness or a Gentle Leader easywalk harness.

As mentioned above, these are front clip harnesses designed to prevent your dog from pulling while you walk. They're very effective - you'll still have a boisterous dog who leads ahead of you until you do some leash work, but you won't have a dog on two back legs throttling itself with its own flat collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I got an easy walk harness for my dog in Canada during the Summer. It's very like the one that whispered linked to, it connects at the front. Jake was a bit confused at first but he got used to it and I don't have my arm pulled out of its socket or him coughing for the first ten mins of every walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

A front connection harness does not encourage pulling, a back connection one would.

I have this one for Harley http://www.softouchconcepts.com/index.php/product-53/sense-ation-harness

I have two dogs and I use these harnesses on them. As a result there is very little pulling. I got the harnesses at Dog Training Ireland. In the past I used a Halti on another dog but I think these are better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I have one of these for Jess - they come in three separate pieces so you can get a really good fit. You just need to make sure your order the front part that has the front attach D ring:

http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness

They're honestly the best harnesses I've ever had. Fantastic fit, comfy and can be used as a normal harness too. I just use the regular back attachment with Jess now as she no longer pulls. I also have the leads for both my dogs and they're really comfy to hold. They do a 2m one that you can buy a clip for to convert it into a double ended lead, which I'd recommend for using with the harness. Any double ended lead will do though.

None of the harnesses I tried worked with Henry so I use a Dogmatic with him and it works brilliantly. I can understand why people don't like them and they're probably not suitable for every dog, but you can use them with a double ended lead attached to a harness or collar for extra control and security.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

+1 on the Perfect Fit harness with the front attachment, used with a double-ended lead. When they call them Perfect Fit, they mean it. I've never seen such a nicely made, nicely fitting, ultra comfy harness.
    The only thing to watch out for with the bigger dogs is that there are two widths of strap on these harnesses, 20mm and 40mm. The 40mm is generally recommended for the big breeds. However, there is a large D-ring on the girth strap which sits between the front legs, and if your large dog is a narrow-chested build, whose front legs don't have much of a gap between them, as many German Shepherds are for instance, this D-ring will rub their inner elbows.
    So if you're ordering this harness for a dog of this build, go for the 20mm strap rather than the 40mm, as the D-ring is smaller.
    I'm not sure it'd be as effective as, say, an Easy Walk or Sense-Ible harness for really hard pullers, but certainly for a dog who takes a bit of a pull, these harnesses are the biz.
    Collars are out for me from now on. Ok to use for putting an ID tag on, but potentially damaging to the trachea and spine if used as a control point for a lead. This damage is often low-level and insidious, only affecting older dogs after a lifetime of use, but even if it isn't necessarily life threatening, if it can be avoided, I'll avoid it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm the same myself, DBB. They only wear collars for their ID tags.

The harnesses from the dog games website are brill. I don't have the newer, front connection ones, but even the old style ones are great. No chafing or discomfort, and they go through the wash time after time after time. :)

I have tags on the harnesses too, so when we're walking they don't need collars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Our rotties and got the freedom harness in Positive Dog Training in Sandyford - have to say they are fantastic and I LOVE the velvet that goes under the belly - could never walk the two rotties together cause of there power but the freedom harnesses mad it just so much easier had great fun walking the two of them till we lost one last year - gave the spare freedom harness to a friend who has a very energetic lab and she found it brillant as well - of course had to get the girls the only purple colour :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 BURT DUB

softtouch harnesses are the best. the only retailer I know in Dublin is Dog Training Ireland in Blanchardstown

BURT DUB wrote: »
    softtouch harnesses are the best.

Really? I'm not sure they're *the best*! I know they're the most expensive alright, but having used all of the brands on a regular basis across a very wide range of dogs, I don't rate the SoftTouch as any better than, say, the Easy-Walk... in fact, the Easy-Walk sits better on more dogs than the SoftTouch ones do, in my experience.

They are very expensive - at the time it was what was available to me easily. I think next time I'd like to try something like this

NikoWIS2.jpg

have you seen anything like this for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

One problem with the front-connecting harnesses that only come in standard sizes is that it may not be a good fit for your cross-breed pooch. The same could be said for the head collars too, though.

I tried two different front-connecting harnesses with Boo, the Premier harness (via ebay) and the Sensation harness from DTI. She has a big German Shepherd girth but a narrow little collie chest. They fitted perfectly around her tum, but neither were snug enough across the chest - the D ring would flop down and get pulled to the side when we were walking. That's even when I adjusted it to its most narrow length. I ended up giving both away.

But I got a medium Sensation harness from DTI for my border collie and it fitted perfectly. :) In retrospect I don't know why I bought it as she never pulled, bless her. Just more comfy than attaching a lead to her collar, I suppose. One thing about using them in long-haired dog - the hair tends to get caught under the harness and it can pull/tug a bit at the skin, which can be uncomfortable. Same holds true for any harness though. I found it happened less so with the harness from Dog Games as the nylon webbing is sewn onto a wider length of nice soft fleece.

have you seen anything like this for sale?

Yes! But even better!
    This Perfect Fit Harness that a few of us have mentioned in the past few posts is identical to the one you've posted in the pic, but it has the added benefit of lovely fleecey padding under the straps. The front-attachment ring must be specifically ordered, but I just can't get over how lovely these harnesses are! In relation to long hair getting caught, I agree with Boomerang that it doesn't happen with this harness, that I've noticed so far, and I have been watching out for it!
    Have a look at them here: http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness

Otherwise, the pic you've posted also looks a lot like the design of the Freedom Harness, also linked to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

IMO a harness will just make her pull harder, thats what happened with my cocker, it gave him more leverage to pull.

I know you said you dont like head collars but i use the dogmatic and find it great on my guy:

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Get a prong collar. I know they LOOK horrible but they're not. I've put one on myself before and pulled on it and it does not hurt. It gives the dog feedback when they start to pull. It's like power steering for dogs. I started my Doberman on one when he was young to teach him to walk properly and I don't use it any more. If you use them properly they're very good for training.

If you don't want to use a prong collar, don't use a choker chain / slip chain, they are actually painful to use but many pet shops sell them. What you really need to do is teach you dog on-leash manners. One way to do this is just stop dead still every time your dog pulls (which will be every time you start moving forward by the sounds) which means you won't actually be walking very far at all at first. Ironically this is easier to do when you're dog is already a bit tired out. So either go on a run with your dog, or go on your bike and have your dog run beside you. Then start your good manners walk training. The main thing that's needed when it comes to do training is patience and consistency. I have my dog trained so incredibly well people are always amazed. "I've never seen a dog so well trained" I've heard countless times. It's simple, it just takes will power on your part and patience and consistancy. You'll need to go out every day for 15 minutes and stop and start and stop and start over and over. Eventually your dog will learn he can't pull or you stop.

illicit007 wrote: »
    Get a prong collar. I know they LOOK horrible but they're not. I've put one on myself before and pulled on it and it does not hurt. It gives the dog feedback when they start to pull. It's like power steering for dogs. I started my Doberman on one when he was young to teach him to walk properly and I don't use it any more. If you use them properly they're very good for training.

Perhaps you'd answer some questions for me.
    What do you mean by "feedback"? How exactly does this convince the dog not to pull on the lead?
    If they're not "horrible" and do not hurt, how come you don't use one any more on your dog?

illicit007 wrote: »

I'm sorry but not a hope in hell would I ever use such cruel training methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

DBB wrote: »

Perhaps you'd answer some questions for me.
    What do you mean by "feedback"? How exactly does this convince the dog not to pull on the lead?
    If they're not "horrible" and do not hurt, how come you don't use one any more on your dog?

The prongs sit around the neck. Take your fingers and put them on the front of your neck. Now push your neck against your fingers. You feel your fingers pushing against your neck. It's not comfortable so you quickly stop doing it, or at least don't push so hard. Your fingers don't break the skin or leave injuries or anything. So its not cruel. I've put one on myself and pulled so I know. I did the same with a slip chain and that was very unpleasant. A prong collar looks horrible I admit, but believe me when I say the cause no injury. Any dog I put one on before basically immediately stopped pulling. After a few months you can use a regular collar because the dog gets into the habit of not pulling. I would use a prong collar as a training device not as an all day collar. Once the training is done why use it any more. I hope that answers your questions.

Advertisement