Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unmountable boot volume

Options
  • 09-02-2013 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a pc based dvr running on Windows XP which will not boot. It keeps going through a continuous cycle where the Windows XP loading screen comes up, then display an Intel page where I have the option of pressing f2 for boot options. If I press nothing the boot options black screen comes up(safe mode, start windows normally etc) and states unmountable boot volume.
    Anybody have any ideas on how to solve this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

That looks good, what are my options if I dont have the disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Apologies for bumping an old thread. I'm having the same problem with my lap top. Unfortunately I don't have the recovery disk.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this without the disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

Borrow a Windows XP/7 disk from a friend.

free_man wrote: »
    Borrow a Windows XP/7 disk from a friend.

I've tried that. I keep getting this message:

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

When is the message displayed (during install/booting from CD)?
    What is the make and model of the laptop ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I've tried that. I keep getting this message:

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Are you using an XP or Windows 7 disk? If it's an XP one go into the bios, find SATA configuration and change it to IDE/Legacy mode instead of AHCI.

Nick

free_man wrote: »
    When is the message displayed (during install/booting from CD)?

I get the message whether I'm using the CD or not. The repair CD doesn't seem to make any difference.

I turn on the laptop and press pf1. That takes me to another screen which informs me to press pf8 for advanced boot options, which I do.

On the advanced boot options screen I select the: Disable automatic restart on system failure.

The Starting windows message comes up and after a few minutes I get the unmountable boot volume display.
    What is the make and model of the laptop ?

It is an emachine and the model name is Hi tachi.

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you using an XP or Windows 7 disk? If it's an XP one go into the bios, find SATA configuration and change it to IDE/Legacy mode instead of AHCI.

Nick

I'm using a Windows 7 disk. I created the disk from a friends laptop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I'm using a Windows 7 disk. I created the disk from a friends laptop.

Did you download a "clean iso" or are you using a disk specifically configured for the friends laptop? The reason I'm asking is many laptop recovery solutions are pre-loaded with machine specific drivers and may not work on other hardware, generally they won't.
    The unmountable boot volume error sounds like a failed hard disk being honest

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement