Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfway House, Walkinstown, closed?

Options
  • 09-02-2013 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

I've just heard that the liquidators came in today (8th). That place is a landmark with allegedly the best guinness in Ireland. I remember when it was bought for big money about 14 years ago when I was working in the pub across the road.

I thought that place would be there forever.

Can anyone verify this news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jac123

Yeah just heard it myself . What a shame if it is true. 2 of our local pubs hit in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

heard this today, such a shame. The Submarine in Crumlin first to go on Tuesday and then The Halfway House gone today.

Bank of Scotland really looking to get out of the country and they're going the right way about it..... quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

theteal wrote: »
    I've just heard that the liquidators came in today (8th). That place is a landmark with allegedly the best guinness in Ireland. I remember when it was bought for big money about 14 years ago when I was working in the pub across the road.

I thought that place would be there forever.

Can anyone verify this news?

Bought for big money and big money invested in doing it all up from inside out, my mams cousin was the lad behind the renovation work.
    byrner88 wrote: »
    The Submarine in Crumlin first to go on Tuesday

Not only The Sub, but Rory O'Connors and Cono Sur Off-License aswell. Sad times as I knew the Off-License staff from working in the Ashleaf myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Re halfway house,Heard that ok, Have been there a few nights for meals over the months in the night time,The place was always empty it was a bit unreal being the only people in there,

Fowlers grange cross Ballyfermot is also in trouble,it was the old county bar,Not surprised all these pubs going downhill but its a bit sad all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats sad, they did a fine sunday carvery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Sad to see it go. Had a pint in there last night didn't know it was shutting..shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

many of these places reopen quite quickly after closing. they are quite often paying silly rents from pre celtic tiger days. once the business goes, someone else can open on realistic rents. hence you see so many new shops and businesses opening around Dublin.

still sad for the pub that was, nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

so rorys and the sub first then the halfway house.... too many pubs in too small a space and not enough of a crowd to keep them all going

sad times especially for the sub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

too many pubs in too small a space

yup, 4 decent sized pubs in that 100m stretch of road did always seem bit much but it provided great options depending on your mood

yup, 4 decent sized pubs in that 100m stretch of road did always seem bit much but it provided great options depending on your mood

or where you werent barred from :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Yeah I've often done the four in one night and back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 murphy009

I know this is a forum is for speaking your mind, but have a bit of respect for the families involved and take this **** off a public site. Businesses close everyday and there are children affected by this who surf the net and this crap pops up, shameful. If you want to find out what happened to these pubs talk to someone instead of sitting on your laptop gossiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

murphy009 wrote: »
    I know this is a forum is for speaking your mind, but have a bit of respect for the families involved and take this **** off a public site. Businesses close everyday and there are children affected by this who surf the net and this crap pops up, shameful. If you want to find out what happened to these pubs talk to someone instead of sitting on your laptop gossiping.

Have you a connection with those businessess ?
    Just wondering.
    One of those pubs is the local for a lot of my family and they would have known one of the original owners of one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

murphy009 wrote: »

Jayney - settle down mo-capítan! no one is giving out, spreading condolences more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

jameshayes wrote: »
    Jayney - settle down mo-capítan! no one is giving out, spreading condolences more like!

first post nerves/panic etc.

rorys reopen again tomorrow evening and the sub lounge opening next week

rorys reopen again tomorrow evening and the sub lounge opening next week

Where did you hear this? Any idea about the offo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Murphy009, if you have a problem with a post, report it or pm me. JamesHayes, same applies, thats getting quite close to back seat modding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

passed the Halfway House pub yesterday and it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

couldn't pass the Halfway House last night as it was open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

couldn't pass the Halfway House last night as it was open

Ehhh what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MarkMc wrote: »
    Ehhh what?

I think he means he went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

Stanley1 said the Halfway was open when he passed it, whereas with me the Halfway was open but I couldn't pass it..... I went in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Would the same staff be re-hired in cases like this?or would the liquidator bring in his own crowd?

id say they will keep some of them on, i think stephen is still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It is sad to see pubs closing down but also a sign of the times.

If they re-open with cheaper rents and hand back the drinking public the €3 pint EVERYWHERE as par for the course then they would be packed all day, every day.

Until that happens the Irish pub is pretty much dead (in atmosphere at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

id say they will keep soe of them on think ste is still there

queens english please.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Just back from the Halfway House. Had a lovely meal. Really nice pub :)

Off-license is back open in the Ashleaf, new staff by the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Glad to see some of these pubs reopening but if a pub in a working class area can't survive it's truly a sign of how fvcked the trade is these days. :(

Advertisement