Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfway House, Walkinstown, closed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Pub was closed again today - was to open back up at 5pm but sign was changed again after 5.30pm to 'Due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to open for business today.'

Rumour new owners. 2-3 people with 'hand luggage' seen leaving around 5.15pm. Possible accountants or bankers. Anyone have more info?

Still closed so far today.Wouldn't mind if it was Weatherspoons that took over rather than a pub in this location go altogether.

Weatherspoons is pure speculation on my part just to be clear.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I was in the Halfway a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years. It was a Friday night and there were two young lads playing music in the bar. They were really good and played a load of songs you wouldn't normally hear in a pub - Apache, Neil Young, the Stranglers. Proper good guitar players as well. Anyone know if they gig anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Jaysus I hope it doesn't close. That'll be 2 of me favourite locals closed in the last month!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Pity - always liked that pub.

Don't think the sub was much of a loss to be honest.

There's an awful lot of boozers competing in that small radius though: Long Miler, Halfway, Eleanora, Bentley (still called that?), Kestrel and Cherry Tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I find it strange, the Elenora and the Kestrel are dumps imo but the Halfway House is/was a fine pub yet thats the one that closes

Still closed today but heard the 'old' owner had bought it back. Be shocked if it does not open soon.

The Bentley has been called the Black Forge now for years.

Back open as from Thursday June 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Was in it last night, no problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I passed it every day for years. Always thought it looked like a complete kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Getting a fresh lick of paint when I was passing in the past 20 mins.

Ye, its well needed.
    Hopefully its a positive sign. It was never too bad inside, but outside on the Long Mile side was starting to get a bit run down looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hammer15

The Long Miler right opposite the Halfway House is closed about two weeks now, another great boozer. Pity as I grew up there and was also good for food and drink. Afaik new owners took over and it was closed within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wonder when Wetherspoons is going to pick up one of these spots or The Sub.

Any update on the Long Mile Inn?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Any update on the Long Mile Inn?

- Maybe open for Christmas I heard??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Who did you hear might be taking it over. Pm me if you don't want to give too much away.

Latest gossip I heard it was bought for €800,000 aprox. and the fixture and fittings have been stripped out.

A good price but the Long Mile Inn has always been quiet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Latest gossip I heard it was bought for €800,000 aprox. and the fixture and fittings have been stripped out.

It would appear that way in recent times. It used to be jammed when I worked there as a lad 16-17 years ago. As it turns out, I've only ever set foot in the place once since it was done up about 10 years ago (I could be way off with that 10 years estimation i.e. when they knocked in to the old empty shop with that circular window that used to be next door).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

theteal wrote:
    It would appear that way in recent times. It used to be jammed when I worked there as a lad 16-17 years ago. As it turns out, I've only ever set foot in the place once since it was done up about 10 years ago (I could be way off with that 10 years estimation i.e. when they knocked in to the old empty shop with that circular window that used to be next door).

I remember that little window. Had a tin of soup just sitting there for years. Haha. Flashback from my childhood, that it..... I was around 12 when they knocked through and done up the Long Miler. Always thought it was **** afterwards...

Bring back the fish tanks, long couches and raised seating down the back, I say!

• Advertisement

Was it not done up recently? A lad told me it was in turn key condition. Buy it, open it and away ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

beertons wrote: »
    Was it not done up recently? A lad told me it was in turn key condition. Buy it, open it and away ya go.

Felt like an airport bar to me. A little too "varshished".

Irish pubs are supposed to be unique and welcoming. They went too heavy on the mirrors, stained wood and chrome I think.

Mirrors and stained wood, that's just like the 3 bars across the road. I do business with 2 of them!

Any update on Long Mile Inn -anyone? I heard restaurant owner onsite might be interested.

More rumours Long Mile Inn could re-open in a few week's with a late licence. The Black Forge has lost it's late licence.

Anyone here anything?

The Forge has/had a late licence? How long have I been away?

I knew the Kestrel did. . .I've had the misfortune to see it in the flesh.

It's had it the 2 years I've been calling there anyway. Ill find out Monday if it lost it. Be a bit strange if they did, and granted it to the miler.

Meh either way, I'm back at the weekend for a visit, I'll stick to the Halfway or the Elly

There's been some movement on the long mile inn coz I walked passed it yesterday and the main door shutter was open and the lights were on inside.

• Advertisement

A guy called McAlendin, sp, is opening it. Hopefully by Wednesday. Has another pub in town called Foley's. Played football for one of the northern teams.

Didn't realise the forge doesn't have a late license any more, I never noticed a drop in sales, so it never affected me.

Advertisement