Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you cut the planet in half...what would happen?

• 09-02-2013 2:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Lets apply science fiction to science fact here....lets assume you had a space based laser, massively powered.....it shoots out a straight beam and slices through the Earth.....what would happen?

Would the two halves break apart and float away?...would everyone get killed :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I guess it would depend on what exactly is in the earths core, but we'd all die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

we would all die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

You'd have 2 Halves

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

We talking North-South or East-West here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

We would all die.

You would have two halves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

uch wrote: »
    You'd have 2 Halves
    I can confirm this is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

If both halves then rejoined - we'd be back where we started. Two halves make a hole :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I guess it would depend on what exactly is in the earths core, but we'd all die.

I guess all the magma would spill out and cover the surface....... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

You should ask at http://what-if.xkcd.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

You die, the core is molten & possibly dense metal at its heart to aid gravitation. You cut the planet in half we explode & float off into space

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I think i saw this film, must look it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Unlikely the two halves would drift away, you'd need a fair distance apart before that happens. Probably fuse together over time. The disruption to the earth's magnetic field might be the biggest problem for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

1, Lasers need a lot of leccy.
    2. lasers need a lot of leccy.
    3. Space laser singes huge area in funny little line pattern. To a depth of 1mm.
    4.Lasers need a lot of leccy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lets apply science fiction to science fact here....lets assume you had a space based laser, massively powered.....it shoots out a straight beam and slices through the Earth.....what would happen?

Would the two halves break apart and float away?...would everyone get killed :confused:
    You'ld need to calculate the centre of gravity of a hemisphere , and then use 2x that to calculate the gravitational attraction to the 2 halves, then figure out the centrifugal force

Bonus marks for worrying about the core being molten and flowing into the gap
    And a gold star for worrying about how how the molten bits would solidify and how that'd change the game

Send it on to what-if.xkcd.com for a Propper after hours response

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

You'ld need to calculate the centre of gravity of a hemisphere , and then use 2x that to calculate the gravitational attraction to the 2 halves, then figure out the centrifugal force

Bonus marks for worrying about the core being molten and flowing into the gap
    And a gold star for worrying about how how the molten bits would solidify and how that'd change the game

Send it on to what-if.xkcd.com for a Propper after hours response

Just emailed them lets see what they say :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Chivers jam would spill everywhere.

Molten lava me hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

earth would lose its magnetic field for one and the solar winds would bake the surface

Nothing, although it depends where you cut, i cant imagine a ring of volcano the whole way around the earth, but somewhere along the san andreas fault would probably cause a bit of havoc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I instantly thought of rachet and clank when i seen this so, It might be something like this

"Unfortunately, this change in mass will cause your planet to spin out of control and drift towards the sun where it will explode into a flaming ball of gas"

Or something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The meaning of the expression 'my other half' would need to be reexamined.

• Advertisement

Just emailed them lets see what they say :)
    You have to factor in the centre of the earths core is solid iron & is almost the size of the moon. It affects our gravity on the surface, gravitational pull too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How big a laser are we talking here?

How big a laser are we talking here?
    Big enough to correct gods eyesight so he can at last ditch those unsexy glasses he always wears......and let him watch in perfect 20/20 vision as you destroy his creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

All the dinner would spill out.

How thick of a cut? I cant see it having any effect below the crust, the mantle and outer core would flow back together, and the inner core would just be pushed together by gravity, cant see it effecting the magnetic field either, but on the surface, its anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

what would happen?

I think it would make a lot of people upset.

I know I'd be a bit miffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snaffleschips

Chuck Norris would somehow, someway, save us all.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Cold War II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Each half would regenerate, making two planet Earths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Depending on where the cut was made, you might have to add an extra 10 minutes to your journey to work in the mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

You'd have a lot less people travelling to Australia because it would be far too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

If both halves then rejoined - we'd be back where we started. Two halves make a hole :)

Now I'm confused.
    Do we have two halves or two halves not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mackeire wrote: »
    You'd have a lot less people travelling to Australia because it would be far too expensive.

And our reprobates over there would have to stay there , where.s the button for this laser thingy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well for a start all the hobbits would be released from middle earth, and possibly some orcs as well. I think we should think this through a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Scientists would discover that in the middle is a giant yellow plastic egg, within which is a smiley plastic self assembly crocodile on a scooter.

Caution, small parts, not suitable for children under three.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Be much easier to just build a 40,075 km wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Does it do it nice and clean, perfect cut?

Or does it smash it in half, as if you swung a knife at an egg?

Either way, gravity wouldn't be enough to hold the atmosphere anymore, and we'd all die from asphyxiation.

CruelCoin wrote: »

Does it do it nice and clean, perfect cut?

Or does it smash it in half, as if you swung a knife at an egg?

Either way, gravity wouldn't be enough to hold the atmosphere anymore, and we'd all die from asphyxiation.
    We would all die of ass fixation?! Sweet jebus can I have Jennifer Lopez' to fixate on? Badonkadonk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I set up an experiment to see what would happen. I got an orange and cut it in half. One half fell on the floor. QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You'd just make it even harder for me to find my other half before the Valentine's Day deadline. Why must you mock me AH, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I set up an experiment to see what would happen. I got an orange and cut it in half. One half fell on the floor. QED.

But did you cut it with a laser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It wouldn't separate. It wouldbe like using a laser to cut porridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

By the time you finished cutting the earth would have already joined back togather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Well due to gravity I find it highly improbable that the two pieces would just float off. I guess it would largely depend on how thick the cut was. if it was a thick enough cut and then gravity brought the two halves smashing back together, there would probably be some catastrophically large earthquakes. Hopefully xkcd will address it; this is exactly the kind of questions he deals with! :P

juan.kerr wrote: »
    But did you cut it with a laser?

Yes, I have a complete of laser knive. Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Yes, I have a complete of laser knive. Awesome.

Not sure they count. Other than that though your experiment is entirely legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Internet cable connecting one half of the world to the other would be severed, people in australia would lose connection to boards.ie

Internet cable connecting one half of the world to the other would be severed, people in australia would lose connection to boards.ie

That would be the biggest benefit. However, if the cut was made between Kerry and the rest of the country, we would be rid of the Healy-Raes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

As soon as the laser would pass through gravitational attraction/accretion would rejoin the separated halves, albeit in a somewhat distorted fashion.

Seeing as this is Sci-Fi, and we assume that we can cut, separate and remove each half from the other to a sufficiently remote distance to negate these forces. I would guess the next observation would be total, or at least extensive planetary collapse, resulting in a very sh!tty day for all of earth inhabitants, with the exception of cockroaches; because as someone we surely say they can survive anything.

All the same in would make a great spectacle.

Source. Geology Undergrad, I've also watched most episodes of mythbusters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement