Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you cut the planet in half...what would happen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Each half would regenerate, making two planet Earths.

Begs I on the top one.

No but seriously, the electromagnetic field surrounding the earth would be disrupted to such an extend that the human brain would be fried whilst animals - specifically sheep, would become the dominant species of the planet. And in a couple of generations, there would be uproar as there would be horse dna found in their human lasagnes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

for those wondering, I envisage a surgical like cut, pinpoint clean through the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

OP, where would you be during all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Ha ha,, op, your thought process is wasted on boards.ie, this belongs with the classics like "the illiad" "ulysses"and platos "can you cry under water?" volume 2 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

igorbiscan wrote: »
    and platos "can you cry under water?" volume 2 ...

you can urinate under water anyway. Just ask a swimming pool attendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It depends on how far apart you separate the halves by.

If they are a gnats whisker apart then we might not even notice them joining together.

If they are further apart then it would be earthquake central and lots of aftershocks and we'd all die. A lot of the energy would transfer to the surface.

Or if you move them far enough apart then they could orbit each other.
    But the moon would probably get ejected.

life on the two halves would not be good, as a rough rule any body over 600km in diameter will collapse under it's own weight into a spherical body. you could work out the amount of energy released by the amount of matter from mgh and show that things would hot up pretty much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Sounds like an Austin powers plot.

The atmosphere and magnetosphere would be destroyed instantly.

A molten Nickel Iron core is about 5400 C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

for those wondering, I envisage a surgical like cut, pinpoint clean through the middle.

But which middle? The Equator middle, or Pole-to-Pole middle?

(Middle. One of those words that sounds odder the more you say it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Sounds like an Austin powers plot.

The atmosphere and magnetosphere would be destroyed instantly.

A molten Nickel Iron core is about 5400 C

Should I leave my washing out on the line or take it in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

life on the two halves would not be good, as a rough rule any body over 600km in diameter will collapse under it's own weight into a spherical body.

I don't know any body that big and I imagine any body that big is already pretty spherical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't know any body that big and I imagine any body that big is already pretty spherical.
    Like yo mamma

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

When you say surgical cut, do you mean at a personal or planetary scale. If you cut me with a scalpel I'll feel it. If you cut something as big as a planet with a scalpel, nothing will happen. The two halves will have fused together before you get a mile down the road.

Also, you can't cut a liquid in half, but we'll ignore that for the sake of argument.

Now, if you had a GIANT laser that cut a channel through the planet that was, say, 10 miles across, well then that might make things interesting. Gravity would still probably pull the two halves together though.

Another big area is energy transfer. I imagine a laser bisecting the Earth would generate a significant amount of heat in the surrounding area. Would this heat be enough to vaporize any atmospheric and water molecules it comes across? Quite possibly. That could be problematic for us.

tl;dr: Surgical cut; nothing would happen. Clean cut measuring several miles across; problems arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Kev.OC wrote: »
    When you say surgical cut, do you mean at a personal or planetary scale. If you cut me with a scalpel I'll feel it. If you cut something as big as a planet with a scalpel, nothing will happen. The two halves will have fused together before you get a mile down the road.

Also, you can't cut a liquid in half, but we'll ignore that for the sake of argument.

Now, if you had a GIANT laser that cut a channel through the planet that was, say, 10 miles across, well then that might make things interesting. Gravity would still probably pull the two halves together though.

Another big area is energy transfer. I imagine a laser bisecting the Earth would generate a significant amount of heat in the surrounding area. Would this heat be enough to vaporize any atmospheric and water molecules it comes across? Quite possibly. That could be problematic for us.

tl;dr: Surgical cut; nothing would happen. Clean cut measuring several miles across; problems arise.

you emphasised the wrong word dude!

let Dr Evil show you the way
    http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4db58b2949e2aece0d030000/dr-evil-airquote.jpg

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 oden

If you use a laser to cut the op's head in half you might get some sort of decent thread, or maybe not. Dumbass

AFAIK the energy needed to split the planet is about the same as needed to remove all the electrons from 1Kg of copper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

The globe making industry would decline, possibly offset by an employment boom in the cross-section industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Could you still go on a round-the-world-cruise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Why not just shoot right through the earth and have a tunnel running from Ireland to the other side..If it's land mass and not some part of the pacific waiting that is.

Hop in one side and appear out the other..Or be torn apart in the middle by gravitational forces/melted by the intense heat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭Branch Meeting

Something similar to a Cadbury's cream egg. How do you eat yours ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Lets apply science fiction to science fact here....lets assume you had a space based laser, massively powered.....it shoots out a straight beam and slices through the Earth.....what would happen?

Would the two halves break apart and float away?...would everyone get killed :confused:

Dr Evil, that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Interesting thought experiment. Lazer would be a narrow cut and gravity would pull it back again so as some others said nothing would happen.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Before you attempt this we should line up all the Siamese twins along the cut line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cold War II

A game of two halves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

As soon as the laser penetrates the earths mantle, it'll go

"Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt" and fly around the Milky Way, before finally ending up in that hard to reach place behind the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Ever seen a cross section of a gobstopper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

FGR wrote: »
    Why not just shoot right through the earth and have a tunnel running from Ireland to the other side..If it's land mass and not some part of the pacific waiting that is.

Hop in one side and appear out the other..Or be torn apart in the middle by gravitational forces/melted by the intense heat.
    So you're the guy responsible for Colin Farrell's Total Recall, I hope you're ashamed of yourself!

But which middle? The Equator middle, or Pole-to-Pole middle?

(Middle. One of those words that sounds odder the more you say it!)

Top to bottom, so pole to pole I guess. The laser platform would be quite a distance from the planet. Not putting a figure it on, and as for heat from the laser....we're putting science fiction and trying to apply science fact.....so its a highly advanced laser capable of cutting through a planet....so it generating heat is mute :)

Kev.OC wrote: »

The width of the actual cut would be I guess equal to the wavelength of the laser, for this discussion it would not be metres or even inches....it be nm.

• Advertisement

Well due to gravity I find it highly improbable that the two pieces would just float off. I guess it would largely depend on how thick the cut was. if it was a thick enough cut and then gravity brought the two halves smashing back together, there would probably be some catastrophically large earthquakes. Hopefully xkcd will address it; this is exactly the kind of questions he deals with! :P

Cheers!....I could have made it easy by saying the cut was miles in length, or even metres.....but I think it more interesting if it was a laser scalpal type cut, nano meteres across.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

You're cutting down the middle, what happens to all the water?

Would it just fall off the edge of both halves of the planet? Like a huge temporary waterfall that falls into space?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Presumably cutting through the centre of the planet with a laser would remove the magnetism of the iron core due to the intense heat of the laser, thereby making useless any polar based navigation equipment.
    Also destroying the core would also destroy gravity so everything would probably float off into space.
    Although the heat from the laser would also vaporise the atmosphere so we would all be dead anyway.

The width of the actual cut would be I guess equal to the wavelength of the laser, for this discussion it would not be metres or even inches....it be nm.
    or less if you used interference ;)

and you can always use UV lasers or X-Rays

hmmm...

A quasar is like a giant scythe emitting a beam of X-Rays and high energy particles from it's poles like an enormous light sabre, more powerful than the entire output of the milky way galaxy , maybe up to a thousand times more powerful

defo enough energy to slice the planet in two , possibly enough gravity to keep the two halves from joining again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭Bad Santa

You'd get in a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

But wait, wouldn't the gap to close immediately as the hole was being cut?

If you cut through the crust, magma comes out, solidifies and new rock is formed....

You'd end up with a ridge-ring of volcanic rock around the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

you would have to pay two proprty taxes! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Unless you have some way of also causing some opposing energy between the two halves, gravity would quickly bring them back together. That's how planets form in the first place after all.

You'd have a very nasty crash between the two halves though. You'd effectively have created a gigantic fault line going through the entire planet, so there would be gargantuan earthquakes which would probably affect every part of the planet. You'd also be exposing the mantle at the points where the laser sliced, so depending on whether there were any hot spots under those areas, you'd almost certainly cause some absolutely monstrous volcanic eruptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I wonder if the direction of the cut would matter, like is it along the equator or from true north to true south. Also, would the gravity at the center of the Earth bend the laser? I think that happens sometimes because science.

I think if you managed it EXACTLY, and got two halves with the exact same density or whatever, the two halves would hold together because of the gravity from each other. It would have to be some insane small width, like in the picometer range, something that's thinner than a single atom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Also destroying the core would also destroy gravity so everything would probably float off into space.
    It would do the what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You all thought I was mad when I bought that life sized paper mache model of the earth from that pinky and the brain episode, but you're not laughing now, are ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Gravity would cause both hemispheres to close the cut and crunch back together as soon as the laser had passed - like a broken zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Is this an Irish laser? If so, the Healy Raes would insist that the laser was driven by a drunk and, consequently, it would miss Earth altogether and blow lumps off Betelgeuse. Then they would claim compo and build a tourist centre if any of the lumps made it back to Kerry.

Better off practicing your lasering on the moon first. "Sure it's doin nawhin up dayer."

chakotha wrote: »
    Gravity would cause both hemispheres to close the cut and crunch back together as soon as the laser had passed - like a broken zip.
    Not if they were in the Hill Sphere of the aforementioned quasar.

As an aside, if the two halves didn't collapse into spheres it would set navigation by ship back many years. GPS would be affected and there would exist the very real danger of sailing off the edge of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A laser doesn't really cut in the traditional sense either. It burns things away through heat. I suspect when the laser hits the earths core it will become completely ineffective as the core would be as hot. I would think a laser would have difficulty going through rock too.

If you could cut through the crust it would cause some serious earthquakes and volcanoes but you couldn't do any serious damage to the planets structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

if this were to happen, then all the water on the earth's surface would instantly rush into this new chasm and probably be turned to steam. the magnetic field would collapse due to the core no longer rotating. Gravity would sooner or later pull the two halves back together and it'd end up looking like the moon.

if this were to happen, then all the water on the earth's surface would instantly rush into this new chasm and probably be turned to steam. the magnetic field would collapse due to the core no longer rotating. Gravity would sooner or later pull the two halves back together and it'd end up looking like the moon.
    water doesn't run uphill

the centre of gravity of a hemisphere is 3/8th's from the bottom so the edges are now further away from the centre of gravity than the centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

the magnetic field would collapse due to the core no longer rotating.
    Would that happen though. If a very powerful laser made it's way to the liquid core it might only heat it up more encouraging the rotation. I just think that once the laser gets to the core all it will be doing is heating it up the same way pointing a laser into water would just heat it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Gravity wouldn't be destroyed; it usual observed effects would only be temporarily disrupted prior to re-balancing.
    The earths magnetic field may be destroyed; although it could possibly resume on the new formations.

The unimaginable chaos that both the cutting and separation would generate means that it's a pointless exercise debating the details.

Its doubtful that even the worlds most power computer could even attempt modelling such an chaotic event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Lets apply science fiction to science fact here....lets assume you had a space based laser, massively powered.....it shoots out a straight beam and slices through the Earth.....what would happen?

Would the two halves break apart and float away?...would everyone get killed :confused:

To answer your question:

Supposing that nothing was used to cut the Earth in half (a giant cheese wire!), then, nothing much.

When I say nothing much; you'd have the equivalent of the worst imaginable earthquakes all along the division as the halves momentarily split, before being dragged back together by the force of gravity. Cue lots of shaking, tectonic movement, volcanoes, etc, and more than likely a number of massive tsunami.

But besides the destruction and death, things should be back to normal by tea-time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement