Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€420 for two months - Huge jump from previous bill

Options
  • 09-02-2013 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We received a very high bill. We've never had a bill this high with any electricity supplier.
    I understand that bills are high in the winter, when the heating is run off electricity.
    However, I lived in an apartment exactly this size with the exact same heating system (storage heater, etc) and the highest bill I ever got was around the 200 mark!

It's just a really high bill to have to pay, we might have to move supplier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 chook

Was it an estimate?
    We received an estimated bill this month that was totally out of keeping with our previous February bills over the years. I read the meter and submitted the reading. The bill came down by 80 Euro to about 2/3 of the estimate. 
    The cynic in me tells me EI was looking for an interest-free, 2 month loan of 80 Euro. multiplied by a few 100,000 customers that would be a nice way to improve cash-flow or the balance-sheet. Sorry, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My was estimated as well and was also over by €80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi reallyrose,

As chook and nig1 have pointed out, it's possible that the bill may be overestimated (if it was based on an estimate, that is). Another possibility is that the latest reading was an actual reading, but that the previous reading(s) were underestimated, in which case the latest bill may be making up the difference. Factoring in seasonal increases in usage, this can account for larger-than-expected bills.

For customers who are hit with large bills after a series of consecutive estimates, we understand it may be difficult to pay all at once. Please contact us to arrange a payment plan if this is the case. You may also find the Energy Efficiency section of our website useful, which provides you with advice/interative tools to help reduce your bills.

ESB Networks plan to read your meter 4 times a year, so in a 12-month period, customers can expect 2 estimations. Note that this number may increase if there are difficulties in gaining access to the meter (e.g. locked gate/meter is inside and there is nobody home). You can adjust your bill online, via our Android/iOS App, or by sending us a PM here on Boards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

David

Advertisement