Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW26 Matchday Thread...

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Up to 22k in the world.

One of the lads from my private league just texted me and reckons I'm 571st in the world this gameweek.

Not sure where he pulled that from but I'll take it.

Now to push on for the final third of the season!
    I can finally check out your team!

Do you not pay attention to your weekly rank each gameweek? I usually use that figure as a barometer of how successful my week is as opposed to the average gameweek figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I can finally check out your team!

Do you not pay attention to your weekly rank each gameweek? I usually use that figure as a barometer of how successful my week is as opposed to the average gameweek figure.

Why could ya not check it before? Or I presume that's some hilarious joke about how low I was.

Nah, I actually rarely go into the FF website. I find it hugely annoying that it logs ya out so quick and the app is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

109 pts this week, delighted with that. Two 100+ weeks in the last month or so!

Two others in my league got 100+ aswell but a little lower than me.

Not sure about GW 27 though, have a feeling it could be a low-ish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Why could ya not check it before? Or I presume that's some hilarious joke about how low I was.

Nah, I actually rarely go into the FF website. I find it hugely annoying that it logs ya out so quick and the app is muck.
    No dig, I just didn't know your team name. It wasn't hard to find the team who scored 123 points this week.

Well it's on your points page just over Transfers made. And if you go into your gameweek history looking at the GR column will give you a very good idea in the relative quality of each of your scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Still top of the boards league by a mighty 3 points haha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

8-10 wrote: »
    What score is 20th now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Wow yeah that's pretty competitive! I'm about 30pts behind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

8-10 wrote: »
    Wow yeah that's pretty competitive! I'm about 30pts behind that.

That would put you somewhere between 35th and 40th place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thank you Enrique and Sturridge for rescuing things.

85 for the week.

down to 2nd in Boards but i thought it'd be a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

roryc wrote: »
    You can disagree, but it's not really a situation where opinion comes into it. It's purely based on stats. Your score is relative, 80 is only a good score if most of your rivals scored below that. Consistency has nothing to do with it, its all relative, and 80 is a low(ish) score this week.

The realistic average would be the average for a decent FF player. 97 is my own estimate but I wouldn't say I'm far off, last time I predicted it I was half a point off the FSA cup average, which is a lot closer to the real average than the FF site average which includes hundreds of thousands of players that don't play the game anymore and lowers the average considerably.

80 might see you move up in leagues that have a lot of social players, but I doubt you will see any positive movement in the Boards league unless you are already outside the top 100.

If we took a poll of the top 50 players that post here you would see what I mean.

True there are a lot of inactive players, but what youre stating is "the realistic average"is incorrect. Even if you take inactive players out of it the average wouldn't be that high. The average youre touting is the average for the top players not decent players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Maybe our definition of 'decent' is different then! I would consider this to be anyone in the top 50 on boards. In this case the average is 93. For 'top' players, which I would consider players in the top 20, the average rises to 95. Either way my point stands - the FF average of 65 is an absolute mile off what you should be targeting.

If you got 80 this week and consider it a good score then you won't go too far in the game! It's all relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

92 pts red arrows this week but well set up for next week with no point hits required

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

roryc wrote: »
    Maybe our definition of 'decent' is different then! I would consider this to be anyone in the top 50 on boards. In this case the average is 93. For 'top' players, which I would consider players in the top 20, the average rises to 95. Either way my point stands - the FF average of 65 is an absolute mile off what you should be targeting.

If you got 80 this week and consider it a good score then you won't go too far in the game! It's all relative.

I understand your point but the top 50 of boards roughly corresponds to the top 10k out of 2.5 + million players. I know there are lots of inactive / uncommitted players but I think you're exaggerating the figure. I'd consider the top 50k "decent", the top 20k "good" and the top 10k "very good". For all these "categories" I'd regard skill > luck. Higher than 10k I'd say to improve up to let's say (to keep it simple/simplistic) 5k skill = luck and inside the top 5k if I don't dare skill < luck I'd put it that way: you need a consistent luck to complement your skills.

This GW is actually a good example. I was perfectly set up for it. My team for it was
    Jaaskelainen
    Shawcross - Harte - Davies B
    Fellaini - Mata - Walcott - Michu - Gerrard (C)
    Van Persie - Suarez

Federici - Le Fondre - Demel - Gibbs
    Le Fondre was in there temporarily (I gained 0.1 on him) to allow Puncheon -> Gerrard with 2FT in hand this week.
    I didn't want to stock up too much on Liverpool/Swansea players not to be burnt the following one so was keeping 2 FT and didn't pull the trigger on a very tempting Gibbs -> Enrique.

In hindsight I still think I made the right calls. I captained Gerrard and got 78 points which I agree with your last statement is well below par this week. I'm down to 27k in the overall ranking and would probably be around 15k had Gerrard scored the penalty against WBA and Michu played the second game. So despite not being inside the top 10k I'd still consider myself a "decent" player but a couple of GW like this one can really break your progression and I think you've experienced that as much as me ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

90 for the week! And lots of green arrows! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

84 for me, mostly red arrows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

irish son wrote: »
    84 for me, mostly red arrows.

94 points, no hits.

Down to places from 616 to 626.

Says it all about the stated averages on the FPL website!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

FutureGuy wrote: »
    94 points, no hits.

Yeah but being that highly ranked you can't refer to the overall average. It's a bit like if you run a marathon and are in contention for the world record or just aim to break the 3h mark ;). And the latter would make you a pretty decent runner :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

FutureGuy wrote: »
    94 points, no hits.

No it doesnt, your interpretation of the data is misconceived is all ;)

Its a pity you cant change the data set of the average you want to look at, i.e. average of top 1k, 10k, 50k, 100k etc

iroced wrote: »
    I understand your point but the top 50 of boards roughly corresponds to the top 10k out of 2.5 + million players. I know there are lots of inactive / uncommitted players but I think you're exaggerating the figure. I'd consider the top 50k "decent", the top 20k "good" and the top 10k "very good". For all these "categories" I'd regard skill > luck. Higher than 10k I'd say to improve up to let's say (to keep it simple/simplistic) 5k skill = luck and inside the top 5k if I don't dare skill < luck I'd put it that way: you need a consistent luck to complement your skills.

Be very careful about mentioning the L word around here!! People have been killed for less.

I'd agree with all of the above btw, it's pretty much bang on what I said pre-season. Anyone should be able to get in the top 10k if they apply themselves, possibly even 5k. After that takes a hefty amount of skill and luck to go further.

Doesn't take away from my original point though. Good, decent whatever you want to call it, the average for a player in the top 50 of boards, which is what you need to at least match each week, was mid nineties. Anything less was a below par week.

I made the same decision as you with Gerrard, we were extremely unlucky that after the form he was on and Liverpool getting 3 penalties in a DGW, he only scored 8 points. Gotta take the good with the bad, and with all the bad I've built up this season I'll be starting to buy lotto tickets soon as when it does even itself out it will need to be BIG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Might as well mention that the top score in the world this week was achieved by an Irishman, 138 points, he hasn't done much with his team, I really thought that a serious player would top it this week, seemed set uo for it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just 95 points this GW. Bit meh about it despite going up in some leagues I'm in.Rooney in for RVP cost me.

Might as well mention that the top score in the world this week was achieved by an Irishman, 138 points, he hasn't done much with his team, I really thought that a serious player would top it this week, seemed set uo for it.

The top score possible was 177 (this team with Enrique doubled)

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/dreamteam/event/26/

I'm surprised no-one got close, a lot of these players are 'obvious' bar Nzogbia and McAuley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No Michu yesterday was a killer, after one of my only good decisions this season to captain him for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

iroced wrote: »

This GW is actually a good example. I was perfectly set up for it. My team for it was
    Jaaskelainen
    Shawcross - Harte - Davies B
    Fellaini - Mata - Walcott - Michu - Gerrard (C)
    Van Persie - Suarez

Federici - Le Fondre - Demel - Gibbs
    Le Fondre was in there temporarily (I gained 0.1 on him) to allow Puncheon -> Gerrard with 2FT in hand this week.
    I didn't want to stock up too much on Liverpool/Swansea players not to be burnt the following one so was keeping 2 FT and didn't pull the trigger on a very tempting Gibbs -> Enrique.

In hindsight I still think I made the right calls. I captained Gerrard and got 78 points which I agree with your last statement is well below par this week. I'm down to 27k in the overall ranking and would probably be around 15k had Gerrard scored the penalty against WBA and Michu played the second game. So despite not being inside the top 10k I'd still consider myself a "decent" player but a couple of GW like this one can really break your progression and I think you've experienced that as much as me ;).

Regarding being higher had michu played, id disagree. Virtually everyone around you would have michu in their team. Some even had him captained. Him playing/not playing would have had a negligible impact on your overall position.

No RVP for United tonight. He should play this weekend then.

Man Utd: De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Buttner, Valencia, Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Welbeck, Hernandez. Subs: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Giggs, Carrick, Nani, van Persie, Kagawa.

Reading: Federici, Kelly, Mariappa, Morrison, Shorey, McCleary, Leigertwood, Karacan, McAnuff, Hunt, Le Fondre. Subs: Andersen, Gunter, Pearce, Pogrebnyak, Robson-Kanu, Guthrie, Carrico.
    Referee: Andre Marriner (W Midlands)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

No RVP for United tonight. He should play this weekend then.

Man Utd: De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Vidic, Buttner, Valencia, Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Welbeck, Hernandez. Subs: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Giggs, Carrick, Nani, van Persie, Kagawa.

Reading: Federici, Kelly, Mariappa, Morrison, Shorey, McCleary, Leigertwood, Karacan, McAnuff, Hunt, Le Fondre. Subs: Andersen, Gunter, Pearce, Pogrebnyak, Robson-Kanu, Guthrie, Carrico.
    Referee: Andre Marriner (W Midlands)

ye gonna get him back in tonight as suarez could drop in price.

Phil Jones off injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hit 101 points which I'm delighted with as I was on a stinker of a run. I think that might be my first century. Certainly is this season anyway.

Advertisement