Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who say they are ashamed to be from Kerry...

Options
  • 09-02-2013 11:56am

...you know them, the Facebook types who think they are right on when they link a page about the Healy Raes and drink driving, or pictures of dead seals or eagles.

Well I for one hate that reaction. I hate it. Sure, some things make me cringe a little, but never enough to make me question my birthright or origin. I don't think a day goes by when I don't see or hear something, anything, scenery, sports, someone telling me about some crack they had somewhere in the county, anything and think...thank God I am of Kerry and from Kerry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think most people are just ashamed of the Healy-Raes etc than they are of being from Kerry.

The annoying thing is that some people in the rest of the country like tarring all Kerry people with the same brush when something crops up in the media about the crap that goes on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭SNORBEAST

Did ya hear the one about the Kerryman........................????

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The annoying thing is that some people in the rest of the country like tarring all Kerry people with the same brush when something crops up in the media about the crap that goes on here.

I think they are just extremely ignorant. Also the whole drink driving controversy was pretty stupid as NOTHING was ever going to come of it. Two perfectly valid issues that it did raise, why were so many councillors absent? and the elderly in rural areas, were ignored completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I don't know how anyone can say they are ashamed to say they are from Kerry tbh!
    Kerry @ birth; Kerry raised; Proud Kerry woman here! I was lucky from day#1 and won't forget that FACT!

Kerry is unique in many ways. It is not always easy to put words to the beauty; facilities; amenities; neighbours within our Kerry borders.

Always be Home regardless of where I will be living in the future, for sure :)

I don't think I have met anyone though, when push comes to shove, are actually ashamed to be from Kerry tbh! May just be their current mind-set and circumstances and what they are dealing with from those around them. Never met anyone who would be ashamed of Kerry Thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

My father was born in Killarney left to go to England, married my mother over there came back and lived his life in Waterford until his death at 81 and to that day he stayed a proud Kerryman. So I am the proud son of a Kerryman. My heart belongs to two counties.

• Advertisement

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    My father was born in Killarney left to go to England, married my mother over there came back and lived his life in Waterford until his death at 81 and to that day he stayed a proud Kerryman. So I am the proud son of a Kerryman. My heart belongs to two counties.

Ditch the Waterford...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In fairness, I think most people who might utter such a phrase after something particularly embarrassing occurred in Kerry or by someone from Kerry really are only saying it in a figure of speech way and do not mean it that they are constantly and consistently ashamed to be from Kerry. Unless they are professing their shame all the time or are hiding the fact they are from Kerry, I would just treat the phrase as a reaction to demonstrate that they are embarrassed by a particular thing that recently occurred and not that they hate their county.

For example, the recent Healy Rae debacle prompted me to say that you would sometimes cringe that you share the same county as them. It's just a figure of speech which would be said in a tongue in cheek sort of way to demonstrate your annoyance that fellow Kerry people would act such a way and not a put down or shame of your county.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I'm a kerryman,born in st.catherines in Tralee,I would use the term kerryman or from kerry if one were to ask me where I am from,I support Kerry GAA the same way a local in chicago would support the chicago bears/bulls /blackhawks.
    But for the life of me, I cannot understand why some folks talk about kerrymen like we're a different species.
    The whole concept of counties dates to the 16th and 17th century just as a means of dividing up the old fiefdoms and making new,more managable(bureaucratically) counties, yet Irish people cling to these with such a fierceness.

Are people serious when they think that someone is so different because they live 15ft away on the other bank of a poxy stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 One united

Ah get over yer selves most learned irish people know that the Healy rea's are not the norm in Kerry or for a matter of fact south Kerry and with yer accent don't think you'd get away with saying yer from Donegal 😜I'm from cork by the way!😜😜these are supposed to be smiley faces with winks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

One united wrote: »
    Ah get over yer selves most learned irish people know that the Healy rea's are not the norm in Kerry or for a matter of fact south Kerry and with yer accent don't think you'd get away with saying yer from Donegal 😜I'm from cork by the way!😜😜

Funnily enough, I get more people asking me what part of Cork I am from and then won't believe me when I say I am actually from Kerry! :eek:

Do I mind? Times, yes. My accent is not strong, but telling me I am from Cork is like a cardinal sin ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 One united

kerry4sam wrote: »

Funnily enough, I get more people asking me what part of Cork I am from and then won't believe me when I say I am actually from Kerry! :eek:

Do I mind? Times, yes. My accent is not strong, but telling me I am from Cork is like a cardinal sin ;) :pac:
    Loving that I must sound like a Kerry baye so lo,l could be worse could have a dub accent god I hate that accent "are ya al ruight"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Loud & proud kerry woman here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

I think most people are just ashamed of the Healy-Raes etc than they are of being from Kerry.

Yeah, that sums it up for those of us who don't live in Kerry but are proud Kerry people. The easy thing is to tar everyone with the same brush, wheel out the cliches and the stereotypes and assume that the Healy-Raes are representative of all Kerry people. The Dublin based media love doing this.

Not wishing to revisit the issue but if the Healy-Rae's care so much about their poor lonely customers, I'm pretty sure it's not beyond them to provide some transport for them, as other publicans do. Transport doesn't seem to be too much of a problem on Election Day ;)

Radio5 wrote: »
    Yeah, that sums it up for those of us who don't live in Kerry but are proud Kerry people. The easy thing is to tar everyone with the same brush, wheel out the cliches and the stereotypes and assume that the Healy-Raes are representative of all Kerry people. The Dublin based media love doing this.

Not wishing to revisit the issue but if the Healy-Rae's care so much about their poor lonely customers, I'm pretty sure it's not beyond them to provide some transport for them, as other publicans do. Transport doesn't seem to be too much of a problem on Election Day ;)

They're more interested in staying on the political gravy train than they are of dragging people into the pub, it's more cost effective.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

kerry4sam wrote: »

I get that a lot from dub taxi drivers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Its the same everywhere, every county gets this when the sh1t hits the fan. It aint a Kerry thing and the Healys-Raes are not unique every council has people just like them. But would you prefer someone who is corrupt and we all know what went over the years with tribunals..
    SNORBEAST wrote: »
    Did ya hear the one about the Kerryman........................????
    Did ya hear the one about the north side Dub?.....
    I think they are just extremely ignorant. Also the whole drink driving controversy was pretty stupid as NOTHING was ever going to come of it. Two perfectly valid issues that it did raise, why were so many councillors absent? and the elderly in rural areas, were ignored completely.
    That is pretty bang on. Nothing was going to come of it but more importantly where the rest of the reps elected to represent the people of Kerry? Unfortunately it appears most agencies in this country have turned their backs not only the elderly but also most marginalized people.
    One united wrote: »
    Loving that I must sound like a Kerry baye so lo,l could be worse could have a dub accent god I hate that accent "are ya al ruight"
    Radio5 wrote: »
    The easy thing is to tar everyone with the same brush, wheel out the cliches and the stereotypes and assume that the Healy-Raes are representative of all Kerry people. The Dublin based media love doing this.
    Some of the biggest culprits while Dublin based are not Dubs. Listen to Pat Kenny and the input from Kerry born journalists. In fact I would say Dubs have more respect and a liking for Kerry people that anyone. Sure dont ye take over the place up here most summers:rolleyes:

Now on the op and the point raised. There are times some us get so furious with events that unfold whether it be Kerry, Dublin Cork Galway or Donegal there are times I would say we are embarrassed by the antics of some of our neighbours. I dont think I have ever met anyone anyone who was really ashamed to be from Kerry or Irish for that matter but I have met people over the years who have been hurt or embarrassed by actions of Irish people.

And by the way Kerry people I think are unique in many ways, terrific orators, musicians, a nice accent and if we look enough we could say the same for every county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Embarrassed to be from Kerry? That sounds like a riddle for the ages to me. I'll never be able to figure that one out. Just sign me...

New York roots by birth; Kerry roots by the grace of God.

LeoB wrote: »
    Its the same everywhere, every county gets this when the sh1t hits the fan. It aint a Kerry thing and the Healys-Raes are not unique every council has people just like them. But would you prefer someone who is corrupt and we all know what went over the years with tribunals..

I think that most people in Kerry were ashamed of the Healy-Raes even before the sh1t hit the fan.

.... I wouldn't prefer the Healy-Raes, and I'm sorry to see two of them on KCC. My only consolation is that I'm not in "The TD's" constituency.:p

Advertisement