Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Zonda999 wrote: »
    .....Speaking of, a post on the Irish thread on a.net says that in the latest Airliners World, they claim EI will be getting three ex-Finnair 752's from air Contractors

Some journalist has been reading airliners.net or boards.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Tenger wrote: »

The Wikipedia community too ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Contractors#Fleet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Tenger wrote: »
    No doubt. I hope it happens after all this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

wrong forum

SFO route should be announced soon..

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-set-to-resume-flights-to-san-francisco-1.1448328
    Google, Apple and Facebook have persuaded Aer Lingus to reopen the San Francisco to Dublin route, according to sources in the US.

According to insiders, Aer Lingus will make an announcement soon having received assurances that Silicon Valley companies will take up seats.

So 757s for Shannon and A330s for this and more busier routes out of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

would the a330 go san fran - dub non stop. is it in its range just wondering.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

zone 1 wrote: »

Aer Lingus have used A330s on DUB-SFO and DUB-LAX routes before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Only A332 can do SFO-DUB, A333 can't AFAIK.

zone 1 wrote: »

Yeah it's well within their range

EI used to fly to SFO and LAX

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Newer A333s can AFAIK. It was only the old A333s that were delivered back in '94 and '95 that weren't able. Airbus have since made many improvements to them.

• Advertisement

Using the Wikipedia numbers and gcmap.com as a very rough example, here are the two fully-loaded ranges for the -200 (7500nm) and -300 (6400nm) out of DUB:

260682.gif

I know that these are longer ranges than practical operational ones, but are the actual usable operational ranges that much shorter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

The original A333's couldn't all current fleet A333's can as they are newer versions, so called X's with greater range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I don't know what assumptions those range figures use but a hot summer on the west coast can have a significant performance penalty. That means you can be leaving people or cargo behind which impacts on the profit margins.

basill wrote: »
    I don't know what assumptions those range figures use but a hot summer on the west coast can have a significant performance penalty. That means you can be leaving people or cargo behind which impacts on the profit margins.

Yeah, I'm aware that range figures are more of a multi-dimensional graph than a single figure.

The figures in Wikipedia are quoted as "Maximum range, fully loaded" but on reflection they're probably useless for DUB anyway since there's not enough runway for a takeoff at MTOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Fabio

Good point about MTOW actually. Looking at the graph you took the time to put up (thank you) I was suprised at the range!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Surely the increase in large aircraft using DUB proves that the runway needs to be lengthened? I mean, Aer Lingus are looking at having the A350 from 2015, and Etihad are going to be using the B777. Isn't the A330 already operating at a slightly reduced weight limit?

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Surely the increase in large aircraft using DUB proves that the runway needs to be lengthened? I mean, Aer Lingus are looking at having the A350 from 2015, and Etihad are going to be using the B777. Isn't the A330 already operating at a slightly reduced weight limit?

As far as I know on some longer range missions the A330 is restricted out of DUB, or at least it used to be, not sure if that still holds true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

A 77W out of Dublin 10/28 isn't restricted unless it's going on an 12+ hour flight.
    The 330 can make just about max range already.

With Finnair receiving their new A321 Sharklet today, any word on when the 757 that it's replacing will be coming down to Ireland and be getting repainted?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

With Finnair receiving their new A321 Sharklet today, any word on when the 757 that it's replacing will be coming down to Ireland and be getting repainted?

EI in their half year results started B757's will be in service in January. Finnair didn't really use those B757 heavily anyway, mainly sun routes and charters, so I doubt we will see a like for like substitution.
    I would hazard a guess that we may see one in December to allow training and familiarisation time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

The 757 it has replaced is already in SNN. It's not one of the three going to ACL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Aer Lingus are looking at having the A350 from 2015

I'd be very surprised if that actually happened.

I'd be very surprised if that actually happened.

The A350's will happen but it will be 2016 before the first one arrives.

The A350's will happen but it will be 2016 before the first one arrives.

Probably just 1, they don't really need them, the A330 is sufficient.

Probably just 1, they don't really need them, the A330 is sufficient.

They will use a few of them, the seating config will be around 330-340 so just slightly larger than the A333 now and with fuel savings etc operating costs should be better.

2 A330's will be 17 and 15 years only in 2016 while the rest of the fleet will be under 10 years. So at least 2 will be replacing and they will grow the fleet also by 2 or 3. They don't need them all so they will either sell the slots or lease the aircraft out.

They will use a few of them, the seating config will be around 330-340 so just slightly larger than the A333 now and with fuel savings etc operating costs should be better.

2 A330's will be 17 and 15 years only in 2016 while the rest of the fleet will be under 10 years. There is growth for Long Haul with EI.

I hope.. would love to see an EI A350. When they actually land I'll believe it.

I'd be inclined to say they'll likely be delayed but that will be on Airbuses part, based on the load factors on the Atlantic at the moment, I'd say EI would love those 30 extra seats at a lower operating cost.

As for new routes, I can't really see anywhere other than maybe IAD or AUH being added, others wouldn't make much sense to me anyways. But we could se increased frequency on JFK, BOS and ORD if load factors keep going the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,244 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I heard a whisper that one of the 75s may be in service by mid December operating on the European routes over the peak Xmas and new year period..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

Strumms wrote: »
    I heard a whisper that one of the 75s may be in service by mid December operating on the European routes over the peak Xmas and new year period..

That whisper is incorrect.
    Handover is 01/01 with an EIS of 06/01.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,244 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That whisper is incorrect.
    Handover is 01/01 with an EIS of 06/01.

Okey dokey.. Thanks for clarifying :cool:

Advertisement