Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

Strumms wrote: »
    Okey dokey.. Thanks for clarifying :cool:

You're welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

But they're doing the Atlantic runs, right? So it'll be extra frequency, with a similar number of seats rather than just a few A330 flights a week from Shannon?

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    But they're doing the Atlantic runs, right? So it'll be extra frequency, with a similar number of seats rather than just a few A330 flights a week from Shannon?

Ok, bit of confusion.
    I think the original "whisper" was about increased frequency on the European network.

The 757 is being introduced to free aircraft for the SFO route and to service YYZ.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Ok, bit of confusion.
    I think the original "whisper" was about increased frequency on the European network.

The 757 is being introduced to free aircraft for the SFO route and to service YYZ.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use the 757s for shorter runs as well, just like the A330s are used on the DUB-AGP route during the summer.

Their primary role will be transatlantic routes but I'm sure EI will do their best to keep them busy making money whenever and wherever possible.

IRLConor wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they use the 757s for shorter runs as well, just like the A330s are used on the DUB-AGP route during the summer.

Their primary role will be transatlantic routes but I'm sure EI will do their best to keep them busy making money whenever and wherever possible.

The contract doesn't allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Interesting. No European routes at all?

IRLConor wrote: »
    Interesting. No European routes at all?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Mm wonder if any 757 will be ex Dub at all
    Seems far easier to base all three in SNn ,crewcetc, having one in Dub is messy
    Wonder if EI will find a way to make YYZ a 330 ?

A319er wrote: »
    Mm wonder if any 757 will be ex Dub at all
    Seems far easier to base all three in SNn ,crewcetc, having one in Dub is messy
    Wonder if EI will find a way to make YYZ a 330 ?

That's why it's easier to ACMI! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

AFAIK, the crews will be Aer Lingus for the Cabin Crew and Aer Lingus pilots on secondment to Air Contractors, so staffing wise the ACMI doesn't make that much difference. As it is all long haul pilots are Dublin Based, so I'm not sure if that'll change for the 757.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, the crews will be Aer Lingus for the Cabin Crew and Aer Lingus pilots on secondment to Air Contractors, so staffing wise the ACMI doesn't make that much difference. As it is all long haul pilots are Dublin Based, so I'm not sure if that'll change for the 757.

Only a few flight crew will be from EI so it will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

So we will still fly A330's to malaga, instead of using a 757?

So we will still fly A330's to malaga, instead of using a 757?

Well the idea of the A330 is for extra capacity, the 757 would only add two extra seats over an A320 if it was put on instead of the A330, but for significantly more fuel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Probably just 1, they don't really need them, the A330 is sufficient.
    Well the DUB-SFO would definitely benefit from having a A350 on the route....less fuel, better pax comfort, more attractive product (relative and short lived last point however)
    And in order to ensure reliable product EI would require 2 A350 to ensure the SFO route gets it each day.....5x weekly requires 1.5 fleet units.

Airbus are still hoping to get dual rating on A330/A350. This would be a great boon to EI if they were to operate 3 A350/5 A333 4 years from now.

One option that could scupper the later A350 deliveries is the Airbus announcement that they are working on a more efficient "Regional A330". If they lowered A330 fuel burn then EI would benefit from using this on their JFK/BOS routes.

RE: the EI B757's.....they will actually be Air Contractor B757's leased to EI for 3 years....so I expect ACL will have their own flight deck involved. This is a mirror to the EI deal with Virgin Atlantic where EI operate the flights in VS livery for a fixed fee and Virgin take the commercial risks/rewards.

EDIT-forgot to mention the EI cabin crew and EI/ACL mix on flight deck....so yes does differ from the Little Red operation

I had thought I heard it was over subscribed to, if there are only a few pilots being transferred for the period, who'll make up the other pilots?

ACL,individual appointments and secondments from another operator

I take it the other appointments were already rated on the 757, or were there other reasons they were given preference over EI pilots?

They weren't given preference.

Does anyone guess what EI's fleet will look like in the next few years? How many aircraft types.

A319 4 or more?
    A320 33 or more?
    A330 4? Currently 7
    A350 3?

757? long term or A321 NEO?

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭zone 1

I think myself the 757s are stop gap till the 350s come along the 320 are the back bone of AL.

I could see the longhaul fleet possibly growing by 1-2 when the new A350s arrive to bring them up to 9 long haul aircraft, but can't at the moment see scope for much more.

I think the 757s will go once the A321NEOs arrive provided the range is sufficient to allow operations to Boston and NY from SNN.

I don't think the NEOs are supposed to even start being delivered until late 2016, so it could be possible that the 757 arrangement gets extended for 1-2 years, although ILFC are the launch customer for the A321NEO, so it might be the case that they lease the A321NEOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I didn't know there were so many A330s or that there was such a marked difference between seating on each.

As someone out of the loop with this sort of thing, what useage do they get each day?

Some always Dublin and some always Shannon or some kind of rotation?
    What replaced the EI-ORD(?) which was scrapped relatively recently?

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »
    I didn't know there were so many A330s or that there was such a marked difference between seating on each.

As someone out of the loop with this sort of thing, what useage do they get each day?

I think EDY replaced ORD, the aircraft fly daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I think EDY replaced ORD, the aircraft fly daily.

I would've said ELA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

bbk wrote: »

Well, the current schedule is:

Shannon (1 aircraft):
    New York - TuThSa
    Boston - MoWeFrSu

Dublin (6 aircraft)
    Chicago - Daily and MoWeFrSu
    Boston - 2 Daily
    New York - 2 Daily
    Orlando - TuSa
    Malaga - Daily (interworked with transatlantic flights)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well, the current schedule is:

Shannon (1 aircraft):
    New York - TuThSa
    Boston - MoWeFrSu

Dublin (6 aircraft)
    Chicago - Daily and MoWeFrSu
    Boston - 2 Daily
    New York - 2 Daily
    Orlando - TuSa
    Malaga - Daily (interworked with transatlantic flights)

Many thanks, would the single aircraft in Shannon be the same or would it get rotated with similar models in Dublin?

The twice daily frequency of some of those flights in conjunction with the Shannon flights is nice. I didn't think that the Shamrock was such a common occurrence, okay one a day is common but you know what I mean. :pac:

Speaking of Finnair.....here's the 1st A321 with sharklets:
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Finnair/Airbus-A321-231/2313193/M/

*winglets by another name are still winglets....the A350 has proper sharklets.

There was a mention earlier on thread about the mooted "Regional A330"....

....heres a link to an opinion piece on the regional A330 and A359:

http://leehamnews.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/analyzing-the-airbus-plan-to-offer-a350-a330-regional-aircraft/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,383 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

just a thought about the middle to long term future of the EI short haul-medium haul fleet ie. the 319/320/321s. I have had a busy couple of months flying around Europe mostly on EI and I'm starting to notice that a lot of the cabin interiors are not just looking a little dated but a bit shabby. I was on EI-EDS last week. One of the newer A320 aircraft and the carpet had lots of very visable bald patches, stains on the walls and seats. That aircraft also has those Recaro seats like the 319s which I wasn't aware of. Not very comfortable and you tend to miss the storage flexibility of having the seat pocket ie. you can only fit a couple of magazines and cant stow say a bottle of water and an IPad in that slot thing or whatever its called. Also my seat as I noticed along with a few others had issues with the recline where it would not come up quite all the way... I wonder will EI maybe go for a cabin refit at any point ? They are reasonable young aircraft for the most part, certainly no rumours re: an order of replacements. Anyone in the know or have an opinion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,756 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EI-EDP/EDS are ex-Iberia craft also (like the 319s).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Strumms wrote: »
    just a thought about the middle to long term future of the EI short haul-medium haul fleet ie. the 319/320/321s. I have had a busy couple of months flying around Europe mostly on EI and I'm starting to notice that a lot of the cabin interiors are not just looking a little dated but a bit shabby. I was on EI-EDS last week. One of the newer A320 aircraft and the carpet had lots of very visable bald patches, stains on the walls and seats. That aircraft also has those Recaro seats like the 319s which I wasn't aware of. Not very comfortable and you tend to miss the storage flexibility of having the seat pocket ie. you can only fit a couple of magazines and cant stow say a bottle of water and an IPad in that slot thing or whatever its called. Also my seat as I noticed along with a few others had issues with the recline where it would not come up quite all the way... I wonder will EI maybe go for a cabin refit at any point ? They are reasonable young aircraft for the most part, certainly no rumours re: an order of replacements. Anyone in the know or have an opinion ?

It very disappointing that EI have not fitter the ex Iberia Aircraft to their own fitting and cabin interior, recently Aer Lingus have been very consistent with their branding , pity they don't take the same approach with their hard product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Locker10a wrote: »
    It very disappointing that EI have not fitter the ex Iberia Aircraft to their own fitting and cabin interior, recently Aer Lingus have been very consistent with their branding , pity they don't take the same approach with their hard product.

THey will probably do it when the airframe is due a check. Its expensive and time consuming to reconfigure a cabin.

Advertisement