Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Strumms wrote: »
    just a thought about the middle to long term future of the EI short haul-medium haul fleet ie. the 319/320/321s.......... I wonder will EI maybe go for a cabin refit at any point ? They are reasonable young aircraft for the most part, certainly no rumours re: an order of replacements. Anyone in the know or have an opinion ?
    In one of the financial results shows over the last 6-12 months an EI exec indicated that they were examining both the B737MAX and the A320NEO range in relation to their future shorthaul fleet renewal. Haven't read any other info online since then. I think this was a very generic comment from the exec, and personally I think the reference to B737MAX is just a ploy to keep the door open. EI would need a very good deal to switch back to Boeing for short haul, approx 10 years after becoming an exclusive Airbus operator. The last set of results (July?) didn't make any reference to s/h fleet renewal to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

.....they were examining both the B737MAX and the A320NEO...
    As an aviation lover of many years and especially the Irish airline scene, I wouldn't be the only sentimentalist who would love to see Aer Lingus B737s back in the air at Dub. Snn. and Cork, and winging across Europe after all these years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

tippman1 wrote: »
    As an aviation lover of many years and especially the Irish airline scene, I wouldn't be the only sentimentalist who would love to see Aer Lingus B737s back in the air at Dub. Snn. and Cork, and winging across Europe after all these years :)
    It's interesting that the 737 MAX9 will be about half a metre longer than a 720 and so would probably look great in the retro scheme. Alas, it won't happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-etihad-orders-up-to-117-airbuses-393149/
    Middle Eastern carrier Etihad Airways is ordering 40 A350-900s and 10 -1000s, plus 36 A320neo-family twinjets.

The airline is taking the regional version of the A350, and is also taking a single additional A330-200 freighter.

Etihad says the single-aisle deal includes 26 A321neos and 10 A320neos. The A321neos will be fitted with CFM International Leap-1A powerplants.

All A350s are available only with the Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engine.

Etihad chief James Hogan says the aircraft will start arriving in 2018. The deal also includes options on another 30 aircraft, taking the total potentially to 117 jets.

Hogan says the structure of the order allows the carrier to move aircraft between its equity alliance partners.

Etihad values the agreement at $26.9 billion.

Seeing as Etihad currently operates 20 A320, no A321's and yet has 33 A321 now on order (7 A321 and 26 A321neo), I wonder will some of those A321neo end up at Aer Lingus at some stage. Given the numbers already mentioned there I wouldn;t be surprised if they did

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/dubai-etihad-orders-up-to-117-airbuses-393149/

Seeing as Etihad currently operates 20 A320, no A321's and yet has 33 A321 now on order (7 A321 and 26 A321neo), I wonder will some of those A321neo end up at Aer Lingus at some stage. Given the numbers already mentioned there I wouldn;t be surprised if they did

Its possible but then again they may have their own plans for the A321NEO as it could open up new opportunities for EY itself and not just EI !
    We will just have to wait and see! If EI were getting some of the planes why would they not announce it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

someone @ EI might go on stirke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Just with this thread being revived, is there any date yet for the 757s to be put into use?

Locker10a wrote: »
    We will just have to wait and see! If EI were getting some of the planes why would they not announce it??

This is very early days yet on the deal. EY obviously want this capacity in the future but it remains to be seen how it is distributed amongst their partners. Perhaps they have a future partner in mind that hasn't even been mentioned yet. (this last is pure speculation on my part)
    CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Just with this thread being revived, is there any date yet for the 757s to be put into use?
    Jan 2014. First aircraft is already in SNN (not in service or in EI hands yet, Finnair lease was up)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

CTYIgirl wrote: »

i think they arrive around jan 2nd?

Tenger wrote: »

Jan 2014. First aircraft is already in SNN (not in service or in EI hands yet, Finnair lease was up)

Will entrance into service be delayed in light of the negotiation with crew and questions over the SNN base ?
    Razor44 wrote: »
    i think they arrive around jan 2nd?

If they are arriving that late and due to enter service on time I assume they will arrive kitted out and fully painted to Aer Lingus livery.

• Advertisement

looking forward to seeing them in EI colours. where does this free up A330s now and for what new routes .will wesjet be game changer in TA trips across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

If they are arriving that late and due to enter service on time I assume they will arrive kitted out and fully painted to Aer Lingus livery.

sorry i ment in service, i thought i read that date in another thread, could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

Razor44 wrote: »
    sorry i ment in service, i thought i read that date in another thread, could be wrong

Delivery to EI is 01/01. EIS somewhere mid to late January

zone 1 wrote: »
    looking forward to seeing them in EI colours. where does this free up A330s now and for what new routes .will wesjet be game changer in TA trips across the pond.

The B757's free up an A330 to operate the DUB-SFO route from April (5x weekly requires 1.5 A330's) as well as a modest increase in DUB-BOS during the summer.

Delivery to EI is 01/01. EIS somewhere mid to late January

Aw ok I read somewhere the 6th of Jan for the first SNN flights!!!

Aw ok I read somewhere the 6th of Jan for the first SNN flights!!!

That was the original plan which it may revert to.

That was the original plan which it may revert to.

Just did a quick search there! Looks like it will be the 20th of Jan before the 757 comes on line in SNN! Not to far off at all!! Have EI confirmed how the Y cabin will be fitted ? PTV's ? What seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just did a quick search there! Looks like it will be the 20th of Jan before the 757 comes on line in SNN! Not to far off at all!! Have EI confirmed how the Y cabin will be fitted ? PTV's ? What seats?

http://www.aircontractors.com/solutions/single/cabin-and-seating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

EI are operating a charter service on behalf of Novair with the spare A330 from Dec to Mar. Various Scandinavian airports to the Carribean.

EI are operating a charter service on behalf of Novair with the spare A330 from Dec to Mar. Various Scandinavian airports to the Carribean.

Yep. Was announced in the full year results last April/May. Contract for 2 winter season, option for a 3rd. Good use of a spare capacity in the A330 fleet over the off peak season ex-Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 STEVE35

I see one of Aer lingus 757 out on air test today from Shannon.

i wonder has the paint job been done ?

Not yet

No. The SNN snappers will be well warned when it emerges from the hanger in green.

Looking at the flight details in the image above it still show its Finnish reg. These aircraft were not heavily used by Finnair in recent months. Could be a pre-lease signing flight test?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,680 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

EI-LAX has headed off to Stockholm for its winter wet lease with Novair flying to and from various points in the Caribbean.

Nice work for the crew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

You think?

basill wrote: »
    You think?

Well presumably they've a few nights in the Caribbean - that's not all bad.

I do appreciate it does mean being away from home for longer than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well presumably they've a few nights in the Caribbean - that's not all bad.

I do appreciate it does mean being away from home for longer than normal.
    i saw a documentary on one of the German charter airlines crew, and it did look like a bit of crack for anyone who had no ties at home.
    Because the crew already has worked their shift and need to clock off, they stay overnight and the crew from the previous day takes over and brings the plane back.

For mothers (or fathers) with young kids though it was not the place they wanted to be.

How does the crewing work for these leases?

Is it done on a voluntary basis within Aer Lingus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lxflyer wrote: »
    How does the crewing work for these leases?

Is it done on a voluntary basis within Aer Lingus?

It's probaly offered as voluntary first and if no takers you will be assigned a shift schedule. They are only providing the cockpit crew.

LAX was back in DUB earlier due to tech fault enroute back to ARN.

Advertisement