Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Locker10a wrote: »
    I'd imagine it will be something very similar to EI-FCC

I actually preferred the livery on EI-FCC compared to the usual Shamrock livery, I also prefer EI-DVM (retrojet) livery compared to the others.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

billie1b wrote: »
    ....I also prefer EI-DVM (retrojet) livery compared to the others.

Pretty much everyone does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Retrojet on a 757 would be nice. Hmmmmm. But so will the green for me, can't wait to see one painted. Disappointed the first one will be different.

bbk wrote: »
    Retrojet on a 757 would be nice. Hmmmmm. But so will the green for me, can't wait to see one painted. Disappointed the first one will be different.

Would love to see it back on a 747 to be honest, I personally think EI should never have gotten rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Actually, having one of the 757's with a livery like that of EI-FCC, would be a nice change but probably wouldn't do much for EI in terms of brand recognition, particularly stateside. Would undoubtedly be a much cheaper paint job tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Would love to see it back on a 747 to be honest, I personally think EI should never have gotten rid of them

Good job you weren't running AL back then! They were losing money hand over fist, the 3 times I flew on them they were a third full at best. Losing money when fuel was still cheap too, sad to see them go too but they were never suitable for AL in their later years(maybe never?).

sully2010 wrote: »
    Good job you weren't running AL back then! They were losing money hand over fist, the 3 times I flew on them they were a third full at best. Losing money when fuel was still cheap too, sad to see them go too but they were never suitable for AL in their later years(maybe never?).

To be honest I dont think anyone could do a worse job at running it then the clowns that already have and are, their 330's are rarely full either, only around thanks giving / xmas and St. Patricks. They get more use out of the 330's and got more use ouf of the 74's on the malaga and canary runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

To be honest I dont think anyone could do a worse job at running it then the clowns that already have and are, their 330's are rarely full either, only around thanks giving / xmas and St. Patricks. They get more use out of the 330's and got more use ouf of the 74's on the malaga and canary runs.

Recent load factors announced on TA ops tell a very different story.

Think they are doing ok at the minute, I believe the TA traffic now is more profitable than than SH and growing by the year.

Think they are doing ok at the minute, I believe the TA traffic now is more profitable than than SH and growing by the year.

I dont see it growing too much, it only increased by around 7%, down to jet blue and more than likely the increase due to the NFL games being held. They need to seriously lower prices to get a real change, hence the 757's, cheaper to run and more efficient than the 330's.

• Advertisement

I dont see it growing too much, it only increased by around 7%, down to jet blue and more than likely the increase due to the NFL games being held. They need to seriously lower prices to get a real change, hence the 757's, cheaper to run and more efficient than the 330's.

The Jet Blue deal has been around for many years now. Its more down to AL regional ferrying in traffic from all over the UK to Dublin. UK residents being attracted by the US pre clearance and avoiding Heathrow.

The 757s are being brought in to open new and thinner routes. eg Dublin - Toronto and Shannon to east coast US among others. The 330's perform very well for AL.

The Jet Blue deal has been around for many years now. Its more down to AL regional ferrying in traffic from all over the UK to Dublin. UK residents being attracted by the US pre clearance and avoiding Heathrow.

The 757s are being brought in to open new and thinner routes. eg Dublin - Toronto and Shannon to east coast US among others. The 330's perform very well for AL.

The Jetblue codeshare really only started working properly last year when Aer Lingus moved terminals to suit pax better as not many could book straight through when it was a terminal 4/5 exchange. Now the pax can book through on one direct booking with the same airline.
    I agree about the UK pax coming through aswell but a lot come through and switch to the US carriers as they are usually half the price of EI.
    Don't get me wrong, I wish them well and hope they do get increasing numbers and it stays that way but i'm just not too optimistic about it, the staff are running the company not the managers and the problem is the staff still think they're in the 80's. Baggage handlers on €50,000 a year without overtime, Redcaps on €80,000 and so on, it needs a whole new restructure to gain profability and stay that way.

the staff are running the company not the managers and the problem is the staff still think they're in the 80's. Baggage handlers on €50,000 a year without overtime, Redcaps on €80,000 and so on, it needs a whole new restructure to gain profability and stay that way.

Where on earth are you getting those figures? Front line staff in EI earn nothing near those salaries. That whole new structure you talk of is already in place. It started after 9/11 and has continued unabated with the Greenfield plans. Believe me, it's not baggage handlers, redcaps, checking staff or cabin crew who are stuck in the 80's, or earning €50k+. Maybe take a look at all those 'managers' who seem not to be 'running the company'.

orionm_73 wrote: »
    Where on earth are you getting those figures? Front line staff in EI earn nothing near those salaries. That whole new structure you talk of is already in place. It started after 9/11 and has continued unabated with the Greenfield plans. Believe me, it's not baggage handlers, redcaps, checking staff or cabin crew who are stuck in the 80's, or earning €50k+. Maybe take a look at all those 'managers' who seem not to be 'running the company'.

I get them from the Airport where I work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

billie1b

You very ill informed about Aer Lingus.....DO SOME RESEARCH.

Long Haul traffic increased 12.2% in 2013 and in 2014 there is the guts of 25% more capacity and it will be filled to. LF's are 83% for the year and over the summer it reached 95%. So yeah the A330's are running around empty expect for the 3 times a year you say......
    I agree about the UK pax coming through aswell but a lot come through and switch to the US carriers as they are usually half the price of EI.

More crap there, given the majority of US airlines depart before the first wave of European flights arrive and depart. Only a handful of UK passengers maybe but EI benefit as no US airlines offer codeshare flights with EI to themselves at DUB so EI get the extra baggage charges.

Keep posting! or have the facts first!

Does that mean you don't work for EI and are basically relying on hearsay and gossip as regards to the salaries of other people who work at the airport.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    billie1b

You very ill informed about Aer Lingus.....DO SOME RESEARCH.

Long Haul traffic increased 12.2% in 2013 and in 2014 there is the guts of 25% more capacity and it will be filled to. LF's are 83% for the year and over the summer it reached 95%. So yeah the A330's are running around empty expect for the 3 times a year you say......

More crap there, given the majority of US airlines depart before the first wave of European flights arrive and depart. Only a handful of UK passengers maybe but is win win for EI as they get the baggage charges.

Are you serious? The first wave departures in the airport is 06:30, first wave arrivals are from 8am, all the US carriers depart between 09:30 and 11am, which give pax big choice of which carrier to use on TA routes and your telling me to do research.
    Where did I say empty ya clown?? I said rarely full, the average pax load on a 330 is 80% capacity on TA, its closer to full on those particular times of year I stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are you serious? The first wave departures in the airport is 06:30, first wave arrivals are from 8am, all the US carriers depart between 09:30 and 11am, which give pax big choice of which carrier to use on TA routes and your telling me to do research.
    Where did I say empty ya clown?? I said rarely full, the average pax load on a 330 is 80% capacity on TA, its closer to full on those particular times of year I stated.

Yes because people from the UK are going to pay Ryanair's fees for up to 10kg over the allowed weight. Very few flights arrive to allow at least 90 minute change over as they are separate tickets to connect.

Yes all Aer Lignus flights and majority of Ryaniar flights depart before any US aircraft arrives and only a few aircraft arrive before the majority of Ryaniar and Aer Lingus flights return. Next to no connections.

Passengers can't connect as no airline offers it so they have to claim baggage and go back to check in and d USPC. Very few connect with different carriers. You can't just transfer, nobody does it end of. Remember check in closes ages before the flights so the it will be long connections up to 75 minutes in some cases.

Every single airline in the world have "rarely" full aircraft so Aer Lingus are no different.

That's my last post as I prefer to respond to posters who know how things work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The Jetblue codeshare really only started working properly last year when Aer Lingus moved terminals to suit pax better as not many could book straight through when it was a terminal 4/5 exchange. Now the pax can book through on one direct booking with the same airline.
    Don't get me wrong, I wish them well and hope they do get increasing numbers and it stays that way but i'm just not too optimistic about it, the staff are running the company not the managers and the problem is the staff still think they're in the 80's. Baggage handlers on €50,000 a year without overtime, Redcaps on €80,000 and so on, it needs a whole new restructure to gain profability and stay that way.

You're talking actually rubbish!!! You haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Be civil lads or bans will be on the cards.

• Advertisement

andy_g wrote: »
    Be civil lads or bans will be on the cards.

Thanks,
    OK I think we need to get back on topic!

Don't get me wrong, I wish them well and hope they do get increasing numbers and it stays that way but i'm just not too optimistic about it........... it needs a whole new restructure to gain profability and stay that way.
    Welcome to 2014.

EI started the cost streamlining project in 2009. It was called Greenfield.
    Since then they have published 3 years of profits. In 2-3 months I would expect a 4th consecutive yearly profit to be announced. They are the 3rd most profitable Airline operating shorthaul in Europe

As someone above mentioned the Social Jet I have a question, is it still part of the fleet? Will EI need to lease another 320 this summer again or do they still have EI-FCC

• Registered Users Posts: 25,246 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FCC went back to the lessor a couple of months ago now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Is it true the 757's are being painted in the Away strip? like the A320 last year?

Is it true the 757's are being painted in the Away strip? like the A320 last year?

Rumour is the first one is but the other 2 will get the full paint job

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

The other 2 757 are currently undergoing a C check in Shannon. All three have winglets.

If they are going for white why not just do another retro jet, be a hell of a lot better in terms of branding especially on that side of the atlantic.

It would look absolute class:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rankinb/9304682789/

If they are going for white why not just do another retro jet, be a hell of a lot better in terms of branding especially on that side of the atlantic.
    Its not as simple as throwing some paint on it. perhaps the Retro livery takes more design work...or perhaps they don't want to dilute the branding by having a new type introduced in a non standard livery.

But I do think the B757 is a good opportunity to have a retro livery. EI mgmt
    may not feel the same way however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Rumour is the first one is but the other 2 will get the full paint job

Perhaps the first one is only a temporary job and perhaps they are intending on doing the retro job on it eventually.

Advertisement