Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I flew EI A321 last year, flight was very nice, didn't notice any signs of age or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I had the pleasure of travelling on EI a few times last year. Down to Nice a handful of times and once to Amsterdam. Certainly last year it appeared that during the summer months that the 321s were a daily feature on the Nice route.

I Found the aircraft very well maintained as in the cabin, not looking at all shabby. Got used to booking Seat 10A with all that nice extra legroom which made the trip a little more comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

You are a wealth of knowledge Tenger, I did notice a difference between DVM and CPG, mainly the engines at takeoff were very loud until we reached cruising altitude on the A321.

Even though the engines are the same CFM56/5B on the A320 and 321, the fuel systems are not making the A321 thrust ratings higher than it's little sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Are EI going to get rid of their three A321's soon or will they replace them with A320's? They're getting a bit old these days compared to the rest of the fleet.

I was on EI-CPG last year and found it a very noisy and shakey. On the journey over I was on EI-DVM and the difference was astonishing.

What route do they normally operate the 321's on OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

That particular journey was to PMI on DVM and I returned on CPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Surely the schedule wouldn't tell you that already?
    I booked the flight before the Christmas and on the website when you click on the flight number it is listed as A321 equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Even though the engines are the same CFM56/5B on the A320 and 321, the fuel systems are not making the A321 thrust ratings higher than it's little sister.
    It's a matter of reprogramming the fadec. The actual engines are the same, the limits just change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

its a good question!
    A few years back they had the A321 on the Munich run around christmas time but I drove the last 2 time so cant say if its still what they do.
    At this stage the frequency to Munich has increased enough that maybe its no longer needed.

IIRC it was a single flight 5 or 6 days a week which has been cranked up to 2 flights a day apart from Sat and Tues(only 1 flight) which is double the previous capacity (and maybe meaning there'll be no sighting of the A321 on that route any more?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Do EI still operate the A330 to Spain when they get heavy loads or were they only ran to relieve cancellations etc? Are all the A330's utilised in TranATL now, because I remember reading last year somewhere that an A330 would come in from the states very early, deplane and then do a run to Malaga or somewhere before returning to Dublin for a night flight to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

DUB/AMS occasionally, I think. At least I've been on it twice on that route during the past 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Stinicker wrote: »
    Do EI still operate the A330 to Spain when they get heavy loads or were they only ran to relieve cancellations etc? Are all the A330's utilised in TranATL now, because I remember reading last year somewhere that an A330 would come in from the states very early, deplane and then do a run to Malaga or somewhere before returning to Dublin for a night flight to the US?

During the summer schedule, the aircraft that did the BOS or JFK - DUB which got in around 0500, would be turned around for the 0730 flight to AGP. On its return, it would operate the 2nd flight to JFK (109) which would depart at 1530.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nortcider

Been to Dubrovnik a few times and it was always a 321.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Claiomh

In case anyone's interested, an EI 321 is operating the flight to Berlin tomorrow at 17.00- Due to a security personnel strike at Hamburg (where I'm to be going!), they have offered a free rebooking or the flight to Berlin and a bus onwards. Looking forward to getting onto one of these again- its been a long time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Claiomh wrote: »
    In case anyone's interested, an EI 321 is operating the flight to Berlin tomorrow at 17.00- Due to a security personnel strike at Hamburg (where I'm to be going!), they have offered a free rebooking or the flight to Berlin and a bus onwards. Looking forward to getting onto one of these again- its been a long time! :)

I went to Berlin for a weekend at the start of December. Went out on the Saturday on a 320 and home Sunday evening on a 321. It's a much nicer looking aircraft I think

Aer Lingus use an A321 quite a bit on the Nice route(I seem to remember flying on EI-CPH). In 2006 they even had an A330...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

-CPG is arriving from MAN, so they do get out and about.

I do hope we see an A321neo heading EIs way in the future.

donvito99 wrote: »
    -CPG is arriving from MAN, so they do get out and about.

An A321 with sharklets would look fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭zone 1

why is it only now that Airbus are putting sharklets on there planes is it a design thing ? . fuel ? whats on all Airbus wingtips at the moment called and what function have they? i think it started with the A300..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

donvito99 wrote: »

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

zone 1 wrote: »
    why is it only now that Airbus are putting sharklets on there planes is it a design thing ? . fuel ? whats on all Airbus wingtips at the moment called and what function have they? i think it started with the A300..

They are call wing-tip fences and afaik have a similar function in that they reduce the vortices off the wingtips

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

;)

Not before a couple of 757s ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

zone 1 wrote: »

The installation of sharklets is a move to increase the efficiency of the A320 family. Previously Airbus had not felt the need to do the research into them in order to guarantee orders. Its an incremental improvement, in addition it develops the option before the A320NEO is in service. It reduces fuel burn by 2-3% over longer sectors.

JetStar Japan took delivery of the first newbuild A320 with sharklets. JetBlue are installing the first retrofitted sharklets as we type this. And Lufthansa will be the first European airline to take delivery of the option.

The EI CEO has expressed interest in the A321NEO several times over the last year. Obviously no orders yet but it would make a lot of sense to operate Ireland-East Coast. EI have the geographical location to utilise the A321NEO across the pond as it doesn't have the same range as the B752.

Aviation Partners(AP) were the early leaders in fitting winglets similar to the "Sharklet" design on the A320. They got very upset with Airbus when they felt that there was a patent infringement and took Airbus to court. Anyone know the outcome of that action ?

Not before a couple of 757s ;)

That won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

That won't happen.

Why not?. I've heard something simular too. On lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭calibratedtool

That won't happen.

I wasn't speculating, they're on the way in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boeingboy

SCUSSSHHHHHHHHH

Got bit more paperwork to complete first ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

A quick look on flight aware will show where 'papa echo' has been!

Date Aircraft Origin Destination Departed Arrival Duration
    21-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) Munich Int'l (EDDM / MUC) 16:15 GMT 19:27 CET On The Way!
    18-Feb-2013 Unknown Lisbon / Lisboa,Portela (Lisbon) (LPPT / LIS) Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) 13:17 WET 15:18
    18-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) Lisbon / Lisboa,Portela (Lisbon) (LPPT / LIS) 09:54 GMT 12:14
    17-Feb-2013 Unknown Brussels (EBBR / BRU) Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) 21:54 CET 22:01 GMT 1:07
    17-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) Brussels (EBBR / BRU) 18:08 GMT 20:31 CET 1:23
    16-Feb-2013 Unknown Geneva Cointrin Int'l (LSGG / GVA) Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) 16:40 CET 17:36 GMT (?)
    16-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) Geneva Cointrin Int'l (LSGG / GVA) 12:30 GMT 15:30 CET 2:00
    14-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) London Heathrow (EGLL / LHR) 16:36 GMT 17:28 GMT 0:52
    11-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) London Heathrow (EGLL / LHR) 12:31 GMT 13:21 GMT (?)
    11-Feb-2013 Unknown London Heathrow (EGLL / LHR) Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) 09:30 GMT 10:30 GMT (?)
    07-Feb-2013 Unknown Dublin Int'l (EIDW / DUB) London Heathrow (EGLL / LHR) 17:23 GMT 18:09 GMT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I wasn't speculating, they're on the way in October.

Now dont raise our hopes unless you are for real! Do you mean that? EI are leasing the 757? Where will they get them?
    Will it be similar to when they had the md-11 ? Wet-lease pilots and use there own cabin crew and paint the planes in EI colours?

Advertisement