Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

owenc wrote: »
    Thats what I thought. But it is not good for Florida or anywhere else. There are some fab deals to California via EWR (found £2,000 for 4 the other day).

For me it would be all about the seat. Thats why I say United.

And yes I did notice that. American airlines are just atrocious, I cannot believe how bad they are. It just seems like they've sent a domestic aircraft over. They were just £1,900, however we paid the extra £300 as we thought that American airlines were just too far. I was prepared to travel on a 757-200, but not to the extent that we would have no entertainment!

Sorry to be pedantic but £2000 less £1900 is £100 not £300

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but £2000 less £1900 is £100 not £300

It was £2,200

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

You can get flights to Egypt for half nothing

That might be because of the political situation there and as a result tour operators dropping prices in order to attract customers. In aviation, distance travelled does not always correlate with price. Airlines will drop prices to attract connecting passengers, especially if it means them travelling "out of their way". As a result the direct or non-stop option may be the more expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Seem to remember your posts always quote flying economy?

And always anti aer lingus too now that I think of it........

Well I'm premier platinum with United. All flights I've taken across the pond in the last 4 years have been with Continental, now United on the 757.

Firstly, business is superior to EI. Fully lie flat bed seats. Especially comfortable on the 7.5 hour flight to EWR. Seemless connections, good lounges.

A few times this past year, I flown cattle class and as it goes it's not bad at all. Crew are excellent. I have found EI prices to be the most expensive any time I look. Final reason, UA23 takes off at 0900, lands at 1100 local. That gives you almost a full day in NY.

Any plans for EI to have another white tail like -FCC this summer for standby or is there enough airframes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Final reason, UA23 takes off at 0900, lands at 1100 local. That gives you almost a full day in NY.

There are no free lunches here.....you are in the airport for 7am having being up say at 05:30am to kick it off. The word knackered comes to mind. I prefer the AL 105 service where your in JFK at say circa 13:15hrs.....in the city at 15:00hrs. Wifi is a big thing for me with AL......your in contact re whats going re emails etc

I was very lucky years ago to jump on the morning concorde service .....i just didnt know myself it was so fast to JFK with a full days work ahead of me.....god those were good days.

Well I'm premier platinum with United. All flights I've taken across the pond in the last 4 years have been with Continental, now United on the 757.

Firstly, business is superior to EI. Fully lie flat bed seats. Especially comfortable on the 7.5 hour flight to EWR. Seemless connections, good lounges.

A few times this past year, I flown cattle class and as it goes it's not bad at all. Crew are excellent. I have found EI prices to be the most expensive any time I look. Final reason, UA23 takes off at 0900, lands at 1100 local. That gives you almost a full day in NY.

Not sure why you quoted me??

Because you said Aer Lingus were fab...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

One great thing about United economy is the premium economy seats with the extra 4 inches of legroom. It makes a massive difference to comfort.

Unfortunately EI have nothing between economy and Premier and do nothing for gold circle members on seat allocations. I usually end up paying 1100-1200 on EI Transatlantic economy and can't even buy an exit row seat as the person who flys Are Lingus once every 10 years, paid 400 for their ticket and reserved the exit row 6 months ago.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    One great thing about United economy is the premium economy seats with the extra 4 inches of legroom. It makes a massive difference to comfort.

Unfortunately EI have nothing between economy and Premier and do nothing for gold circle members on seat allocations. I usually end up paying 1100-1200 on EI Transatlantic economy and can't even buy an exit row seat as the person who flys Are Lingus once every 10 years, paid 400 for their ticket and reserved the exit row 6 months ago.

Its 6 inches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus relaunches San Francisco today, it will also allow the use of gate to gate personal electronic devices and inflight entertainment across the entire Airbus fleet from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

301345.JPG

There was a demonstration of the lie flats at the SFO launch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Bigcheeze - I would have to agree with you about how EI "do nothing for Gold Circle members". I take 50-60 EI returns a year, albeit mainly short haul, and have Prestige status as a result.

Am flying to SFO later this month in economy (company travel policy) for the princely sum of just shy of € 1,600. When making the reservation 8 weeks ago I requested an exit seat outbound and inbound and informed them that I was prepared to pay extra for them. EI informed me that "none were available".

At a minimum you would expect that they would "hold" these seats for a period of time in the event that full fare paying Gold Circle members would have the option - if no takers then they could release them, say 4 weeks before departure, to other pax.

All that said for me EI is my airline of choice across the Atlantic - the customer experience compared to the US carriers ex DUB is far superior IMHO.

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    Bigcheeze - I would have to agree with you about how EI "do nothing for Gold Circle members". I take 50-60 EI returns a year, albeit mainly short haul, and have Prestige status as a result.

Am flying to SFO later this month in economy (company travel policy) for the princely sum of just shy of € 1,600. When making the reservation 8 weeks ago I requested an exit seat outbound and inbound and informed them that I was prepared to pay extra for them. EI informed me that "none were available".

At a minimum you would expect that they would "hold" these seats for a period of time in the event that full fare paying Gold Circle members would have the option - if no takers then they could release them, say 4 weeks before departure, to other pax.

All that said for me EI is my airline of choice across the Atlantic - the customer experience compared to the US carriers ex DUB is far superior IMHO.

I was in a similar boat(!) to you, was an aer lingus gold circle prestige mover for years, they were always first choice. Decided to switch to BA / one world(I fly east and west so star alliance won't see as good of a return for me since BMI left) flights where possible and since made silver with BA which kicks the ass of aer lingus. Simple additional pleasures like proper priority boarding first choice on emergency seating and having a realistic chance of upgrade to premium economy means I've little interest in keeping my aer lingus gold card which expires in dec. Only a few flights away from BA gold too which actually offers decent advantages over silver unlike Aer Lingus basic gold v prestige.

Add to the fact aer lingus charge you to earn miles by forcing you to book flexi tickets means I'm even saving money!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,383 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it will also allow the use of gate to gate personal electronic devices and inflight entertainment across the entire Airbus fleet from today.

Didn't hear that one and neither obviously did the FAs on my EI flight this morning, they were asking people to power down before take off and landing, I didn't notice if they had changed the safety demo as I wasnt paying attention :p either way good news...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Oops....silly fingers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Strumms wrote: »
    Didn't hear that one and neither obviously did the FAs on my EI flight this morning, they were asking people to power down before take off and landing,...

Is that maybe just on the A330 fleet in relation to the IFE system?
    Its 6 inches.

That's what you told her.....
    donvito99 wrote: »

There was a demonstration of the lie flats at the SFO launch today.
    Was that in DUB (going to be there later this eveing)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Strumms wrote: »
    Didn't hear that one and neither obviously did the FAs on my EI flight this morning, they were asking people to power down before take off and landing, I didn't notice if they had changed the safety demo as I wasnt paying attention :p either way good news...

I'd say that was force of habit more than anything else, particularly with older crew.

Tenger wrote: »
    Is that maybe just on the A330 fleet in relation to the IFE system?

The EI tweet this morning mentioned their airbus fleet which I'm taking as 330/320 & 321. Interesting though that it specified airbus and no mention of the 757s. Maybe they forgot they've got Boeing back in their fleet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

lord lucan wrote: »
    The EI tweet this morning mentioned their airbus fleet which I'm taking as 330/320 & 321. Interesting though that it specified airbus and no mention of the 757s. Maybe they forgot they've got Boeing back in their fleet!!

Its not in their fleet though - it is in Air Contractors, who are providing them with a service.

• Advertisement

Its not in their fleet though - it is in Air Contractors, who are providing them with a service.

True but it's in their colours and to the average punter it's an EI aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭orionm_73

It will have specified the Airbus fleet as EI can't decide another airlines SOP's (Stobart air and ACL) regardless of whether they are in EI livery.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Except when it's one of Aer Arann/Aer Arann Regional/Aer Lingus Regional/Stobart Air's white ATR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Could it not just be that the features are only available on their fleet of Airbus aircraft for the moment?

Is it definitely available on the Boeing fleet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think from what Aer Lingus has tweeted in the past, the implementation of gate to gate personal electronic device use is only applicable to individual airline operating certificates and as Aer Lingus still only operate Airbus aircraft any changes they apply for only concern that Airbus fleet. The Boeing 757s are on Air Contractors/ASL cert and the ATRs are on Aer Arann/Stobart Air so they'll have to go through the process separately.

Not sure why you quoted me??

Because you said about OwenC being an economy flyer, and not business. I have given you my experience being a business class flyer.

Its 6 inches.

Free to book when booking economy if you have any frequent flyer status.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

I think from what Aer Lingus has tweeted in the past, the implementation of gate to gate personal electronic device use is only applicable to individual airline operating certificates and as Aer Lingus still only operate Airbus aircraft any changes they apply for only concern that Airbus fleet. The Boeing 757s are on Air Contractors/ASL cert and the ATRs are on Aer Arann/Stobart Air so they'll have to go through the process separately.

Yep, gate to gate IFE approved for use on A330 whilst extended use of PEDs permitted on both 330 and 320 fleets now. ACL and Aer Arann have to submit applications independantly on their own AOCs.

• Advertisement

Because you said about OwenC being an economy flyer, and not business. I have given you my experience being a business class flyer.

Incorrect. Owenc posted as if he was a regular business class flyer which according to his regular utd posts he is not.

At no stage was it an invitation for you to quote my post and relate a personal experience of zero interest to me!

Advertisement