Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I've heard it's not Miami, but Washington

I doubt that considering UA are one of EI's partners and they have the IAD route at the moment, EI couldn't make it work so I don't see why they'd be rushing back for it anytime soon.

In other news, Ryanair will vote in favour of report on pay at Aer Lingus AGM and are opposing the re-election of David Begg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Code share in IAD? Does anyone know what the loads are like on the DUB-IAD route for UA? Anytime I book my flight to MCO, I always get the IAD option first.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Code share in IAD? Does anyone know what the loads are like on the DUB-IAD route for UA? Anytime I book my flight to MCO, I always get the IAD option first.

I have flown it twice lately and it was packed.

If it is MIA will they codeshare with AA? It would make perfect sense given the huge connection possibilities to South & Central America and the Caribbean. If they could land at the AA terminal connections would be a breeze. I have landed at other terminals and the airside connections are nonexistent (nearly missed my flight as a result of having to re-clear security).
    If they codeshare with AA would UA throw a fit? The alternative is a flight to Houston and use that as a connection point for South & Central America and the Caribbean. The downside is that O&D demand would be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

MICKEYG wrote: »
    If it is MIA will they codeshare with AA?

They'd need to I reckon in order for it to be feasible. The traffic heading further South as you say as well as cruise traffic makes it feasible, and seeing as AA have ruled the roost down there since Pan Am went belly up they're the obvious choice.

EI have had links to American in the past if I'm not mistaken and the EI way of not going down the road of alliances is conducive to this sort of pick-and-mix approach to partnerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,528 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EI are offering some individual US/CA destinations via three codeshares now if I remember the routemap from Cara - AC, UA and B6 - so all their deals seem to be negotiated non-exclusively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Fort Lauderdale seems to be the latest rumour for an additional Florida destination. If loads hold up on Canada then there is talk of a 330 taking over which would allow the 757 to go to the east coast eg: Washington or Baltimore.

basill wrote: »
    Fort Lauderdale seems to be the latest rumour for an additional Florida destination. If loads hold up on Canada then there is talk of a 330 taking over which would allow the 757 to go to the east coast eg: Washington or Baltimore.

Where does the A330 come from in that case? This would seem to suggest that an additional 330 is in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

And it's a JetBlue hub which has connections in S America which they don't currently offer via JFK/BOS. Would be surprised if its anywhere else in the region as AA codeshare at Miami, can't see happening.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

FLL is a nice airport (as they go). A much nicer place to travel through than Miami, which is a bit of a zoo.

Also thinking with the predicament Norwegian Long Haul is in, Ft. Lauderdale would be a nice winner with connections ex CPH/ARN for EI with the onward connections also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Fort Lauderdale seems to be the latest rumour for an additional Florida destination. .........
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    And it's a JetBlue hub which has connections in S America which they don't currently offer via JFK/BOS.......

That seems to fit. I can't see United being happy with EI codesharing with AA, and if going to MIA then an AA codeshare would be needed. Linking into Jetblue at FLL would be a better fit for EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Tenger wrote: »
    That seems to fit. I can't see United being happy with EI codesharing with AA, and if going to MIA then an AA codeshare would be needed. Linking into Jetblue at FLL would be a better fit for EI.

The reasons I don't see the AA codeshare is because the same market is big for AA connecting at CLT and PHL and why would AA hand it to EI on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Plus an extra 330 bas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bo91

With aer lingus rumoured to be looking at Miami .Do people think they could fill an a330 considering the Orlando flight is full nearly every flight .

Think it would be great if they would look at Houston or Dallas , 3-4 a week would work out I feel .

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    And it's a JetBlue hub which has connections in S America which they don't currently offer via JFK/BOS. Would be surprised if its anywhere else in the region as AA codeshare at Miami, can't see happening.

How big a hub is it though. It does not have a huge amount of connections, nothing at all in comparison to MIA.

Aer Lingus having an agreement with AA wouldn't affect the relationship with B6 if it was at MIA only, considering B6/AA had an agreement also. Also can't see UA being upset if it was constrained to MIA as both B6/UA have very little presence for starters in MIA. Agree, MIA has far more potential for EI than Ft. Lauderdale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Someone mentioned about how tired -LAX is and I suppose at 15 years old is indeed a bit tired. I asked someone I know about the current state of the A330 fleet and was told the upkeep on all the 330s is crap. The screens never work,
    the back of them are freezing and pax end up sitting for hours with their jackets on because they don't provide enough blankets. Loads in biz seem to be strong.

Plus an extra 330 bas....

Read online that this was mentioned in passing at the agm. A additional 757 or 330 being looked at. Difficulty so far on the 330 side has been finding one that has the same engines in order to ensure commonality of parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

I think I've found the answer if they're looking for an A330 with compatible engines, this one served alongside the former EI-EWR whilst with Batavia Air.

Search for EI-FAO on planespotters.net

Not sure they'd want to add another 15 year old to the fleet, though; not on a direct lease basis anyway. On the 757s MX is moved to Air Contractors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Cravens wrote: »
    I think I've found the answer if they're looking for an A330 with compatible engines......

Search for EI-FAO on planespotters.net
    Would complement EI-LAX nicely.....and EI could use it on their DUB-FAO runs with the A330 through the summer ;)

I agree that another 15 year old in the fleet is far from desirable, but I also made the suggestion keeping in mind that by the time it hits 20, it will be time that the A350R fleet will start to roll in, so it's only really a short term solution.

I can remember talking on here about the 350 deal being too large an order, but now it appears to make sense. This combined with the fact that Mueller now feel that EI can fill them and that the Regional variant will improve the bottom line.

Re A350..... Apparently the fuel savings and overall economics are out of this world. Its a no brainer tis what we were told anyways from senior mgt.

Yeah, I know that Herr Mueller had doubts about the regular A350, but now they are getting the "regional" variant it appears to be suitable. While on the subject of Regional stuff, have you heard about the DAA saying that there needs to a DUB-ORK route again? What do you think of that demand/proposal?

Cravens wrote: »
    Yeah, I know that Herr Mueller had doubts about the regular A350, but now they are getting the "regional" variant it appears to be suitable. While on the subject of Regional stuff, have you heard about the DAA saying that there needs to a DUB-ORK route again? What do you think of that demand/proposal?

What's the situ with PSOs nowadays? I can't imagine it'll be doable without one. Aer Arann/Stobart are moving away from domestic in Ireland seemingly and they are probably best placed to deliver it.

It was denied a PSO last time round from memory; same reason as GWY and SXL lost theirs - roads improved enough.

I think the DAA see a DUB-ORK route (with EI codesharing if its not Stobart franchised) as being 'enough' to stop the calls for a trans-atlantic flight from businesses in Cork.

donvito99 wrote: »
    What's the situ with PSOs nowadays? I can't imagine it'll be doable without one. Aer Arann/Stobart are moving away from domestic in Ireland seemingly and they are probably best placed to deliver it.

Well I'm sure that the DAA can get that PSO sorted fairly quick, undoubtedly that'll be with an ATR 42, but they'll need to get another one, I don't think BYO will ever be in the air again, and CPT is in Monchengladbach awaiting the crusher.

Some mentioned a fair while ago on here, possibly this thread; that the only 2 42-400s ever made were available for lease. Effectively a -300 with the prop blades and interior from a -500. Old-ish, orphan tech more or less but could make sense for an airline with experience of 42-300s and of -500 series ATRs.

• Advertisement

I did mention about the AT44's on PPRuNe myself, as you put it, just a -320 mechanically with -500 looks. But yes, they could well be a viable replacement for CBK (which if I am not mistaken is a bit temperamental) and EHH, which just looks knackered.

Advertisement