Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

In work at the min and notice a white plane on the ramp at T2 with reg CS-TEX being loaded with Aer Lingus bins. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's a hire in today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aphex wrote: »
    In work at the min and notice a white plane on the ramp at T2 with reg CS-TEX being loaded with Aer Lingus bins. Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm guessing EI hired it.

It flew from LIS to FAO as EI2481(FAO-DUB callsign) this morning which was a positioning flight. Then from FAO to DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Not to mention most of the Titan fleet operating for AL today both continental and intercontinental flights.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's a hire in today.

What's the reason behind it?

Spotted the titan on the 300's that's right. Was wondering about that too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

You missed all the talk about a strike tomorrow?

You missed all the talk about a strike tomorrow?
    Ah of course! I had forgotten about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Cravens wrote: »
    I did mention about the AT44's on PPRuNe myself, as you put it, just a -320 mechanically with -500 looks. But yes, they could well be a viable replacement for CBK (which if I am not mistaken is a bit temperamental) and EHH, which just looks knackered.

EI-CBK is the St. Fintan ATR isnt it? I was on that recenlty, how is it temperamental?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

EI-CBK is the St. Fintan ATR isnt it? I was on that recenlty, how is it temperamental?

It is. It's just a bit on the old side, and just like old cars they can give out sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Aphex wrote: »
    Ah of course! I had forgotten about that.

It's only a small matter!

The other hire-ins were virtually all Titan aircraft.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's only a small matter!

The other hire-ins were virtually all Titan aircraft.

I mean, I wasn't thinking about the strike when looking at the aircraft. I was fatigued at the time :p

I'd say that will cost a bit for them! Better than cancelled flights I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Not sure strike is relevant for todays flights. Titan were going to lots of different destinations across europe and the US. From what i have read the cabin crew are on strike when in the ROI so inbound Atlantic flights on 30/5 shouldnt be impacted at all nor those that left today.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Plane Fan

Cravens wrote: »
    I did mention about the AT44's on PPRuNe myself, as you put it, just a -320 mechanically with -500 looks. But yes, they could well be a viable replacement for CBK (which if I am not mistaken is a bit temperamental) and EHH, which just looks knackered.

I agree with that completely EHH doesn't look the best and it has a few patches, CBK doesn't look as bad as the EI livery hides the age a bit! Is there any news of them upgrading the AT43 or will they remain in the fleet for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

In the sept issue of Airliner World in an article about A330neo the COO John Leahy said the rapid pace of engine and airframe development meant the A330neo was actually more efficient than the A350-800.It leads Airbus to believe most customers would opt A330neo over the A358. Airbus claims the A330neo will typical offer a lifetime 7% cost advantage over the Boeing 787-8. It also stated it shares more than 95% commanality with the A330ceo.The engine will be the RR Trent 7000 which will give a 10% fuel burn reduction rising to 14% when additional aerodynamic updates and weight savings are taken into account. It will also be 50% quieter.
    Would this be a good fit for EI given that they don't use (AFAIK) RR engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,528 ✭✭✭✭L1011

roundymac wrote: »

They're going to have to if they take the A350s so its not as much of an issue as it would have been.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

In the sept issue of Airliner World.....................................It also stated it shares more than 95% commanality with the A330ceo.The engine will be the RR Trent 7000 which will give a 10% fuel burn reduction rising to 14% when additional aerodynamic updates and weight savings are taken into account. It will also be 50% quieter.
    Well if EI are happy with the 14% fuel efficiency then they will find a way to cp with the change of engine. The B757 operation may actually make them more open to new operating types. The bean counters will make the decision on whats "is the best option" then the operational side will have to make it work.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Don't EI have two engine suppliers already anyway? CFM for the 320s and GE for the 330s?

IRLConor wrote: »
    Don't EI have two engine suppliers already anyway? CFM for the 320s and GE for the 330s?

Yes - although CFM is half owned by GE

It would be less than ideal to have both CF6 and RR 330s for a prolonged period but if it makes sense financially it can be made happen; if they do take 350s they're RR anyway with only a variant of the same engine as the 330neo to begin with.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

MYOB wrote: »
    Yes - although CFM is half owned by GE

Ah, interesting. I didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

I wonder if EI have been a little too conservative as they are not growing shorthaul and lack 320's to do anything extra, YHZ will take 320 away from Europe next year, so unless Little Red is ending EI will be reducing
    Flights ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I see nothing about this so called route to Halifax.

owenc wrote: »
    I see nothing about this so called route to Halifax.
    That's because it is an industry insider rumour at the moment. EI have stated that they will announce some new routes in the next 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A319er wrote: »
    I wonder if EI have been a little too conservative as they are not growing shorthaul and lack 320's to do anything extra, YHZ will take 320 away from Europe next year, so unless Little Red is ending EI will be reducing
    Flights ?

One or two other A320s are expected to go elsewhere on the network also so they must be pressing ahead with plans to get the 4 or 5 A320 on leases for summer season or at least peak season next year.

I notice the A320 (9M-AHH) they were going to lease from Air Asia this summer never happened

Edit- some info here http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6127841

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    One or two other A320s are expected to go elsewhere on the network also so they must be pressing ahead with plans to get the 4 or 5 A320 on leases for summer season or at least peak season next year.

Are they looking to pick up some of monarchs about to be sold off a320s? There cfm engines etc? Just a thought. Also monarch are getting rid of their 332s but there all RR powered and 15yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Razor44 wrote: »
    Are they looking to pick up some of monarchs about to be sold off a320s? There cfm engines etc? Just a thought. Also monarch are getting rid of their 332s but there all RR powered and 15yrs old

Not sure but they announced the extra planes around March/April and then just before the June strikes again before any of ZB problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ZB problems?

ZB problems?

Monarch's financial issues and the potential gutting of their entire fleet (for replacement with 737MAX, if they survive)

The 330s and particularly the 757s are ancient and don't match the engines EI use anyway.

So, looks like they won't have to source A320's from anywhere as the Little Red operation is to be wound up!

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Companies/article1455799.ece

• Advertisement

So, looks like they won't have to source A320's from anywhere as the Little Red operation is to be wound up!

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Companies/article1455799.ece

Well Little Red was always going to end sooner rather than later. I think the initial contract was for 2 years with an option of a 1 year extension. The assumption in the industry was that VS would always use those slots for longhaul as soon as able to.

Advertisement