Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet Discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Getting type rated maintenance engineers for 757's would be hard in Ireland. They woud probably have to make some sort of arrangement with Shannon aerospace as it is the only company in Ireland that have 757 type rated staff. I find it hard to believe an airline with an entire Airbus fleet would lease a 757. The only possibility is a wet lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

Katunga wrote: »
    Getting type rated maintenance engineers for 757's would be hard in Ireland. They woud probably have to make some sort of arrangement with Shannon aerospace as it is the only company in Ireland that have 757 type rated staff.

Are you suggesting that the only B757 engineers currently signing off B757 aircraft in Ireland are working for Shannon Aerospace??

If so you are very much mistaken.

D.R Adams wrote: »

Are you suggesting that the only B757 engineers currently signing off B757 aircraft in Ireland are working for Shannon Aerospace??

If so you are very much mistaken.
    The only one's they could get are. Not many current type rated 757 staff are in Ireland.

The only one's they could get are.

Please explain more........no B757 engineers in Dublin??

• Advertisement

The only one's they could get are. Not many current type rated 757 staff are in Ireland.

I'm afraid wherever you have got your information from it is incorrect. I know of at least 10-15 currently rated B757 guys in DUB, myself included.

Please explain more........no B757 engineers in Dublin??
    With the exception of maintenance staff for the American airlines. Who else would have current type rated 757 maintenance engineers. No one else carries out maintenance work on 757's in dublin.

With the exception of maintenance staff for the American airlines. Who else would have current type rated 757 maintenance engineers. No one else carries out maintenance work on 757's in dublin.

American Airlines do not have their own maintenance staff at DUB. Delta Airlines do, along with a few third party line maintenance companies (Thomson, Air Contractors, DHL, Servisair).

You obviously do not have much of an idea of what goes on maintenance wise at DUB and thats fine but don't come out with statements like "No-one else carries out maintenance work on 757's in dublin" or "shannon aerospace is the only company with 757 staff in dublin" without firstly checking your facts.

Apologies.....you said THE American Airlines......I read American Airlines.....my bad!

American Airlines do not have their own maintenance staff at DUB. Delta Airlines do, along with a few third party line maintenance companies (Thomson, Air Contractors, DHL, Servisair).

You obviously do not have much of an idea of what goes on maintenance wise at DUB and thats fine but don't come out with statements like "No-one else carries out maintenance work on 757's in dublin" or "shannon aerospace is the only company with 757 staff in dublin" without firstly checking your facts.

I think you need to read my post again.
    Read my exact word before twisting my story.

I think you need to read my post again.
    Read my exact word before twisting my story.

Not trying to twist your story but your original post stated that no one except Shannon Aerospace had B757 engineers, that is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Have to agree with DR adams the likes of ACL line maintenance have a good bit of experience from working on DHL 757&767, As for the lads that do line maintenance for the US carriers they would also have current experience on 757&767 and if EI are to bring the 757 into service for October.
    this could possibly suit the above companies as by then the summer season will be over and there might be scope to do the maintenance for EI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not sure if they are still around, but at one time, First choice had 757 engineers in Dublin as their 757's night stopped quite often,

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There will be no problem getting engineers. I wouldn't be surprised if monarch engineering get the contract to look after the B757. EI already deal with them and MON have good reputation for there services. Could be wrong but they have a station at DUB of they had?

Didn't know about Delta, what about US airways of united?

Anyway will it not be Air Contractors looking after the maintenance side of thing seen as they will operate them

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Getting type rated maintenance engineers for 757's would be hard in Ireland. They woud probably have to make some sort of arrangement with Shannon aerospace as it is the only company in Ireland that have 757 type rated staff. I find it hard to believe an airline with an entire Airbus fleet would lease a 757. The only possibility is a wet lease.

Transaero/air atlanta do 757 Checks too and there's a few old timers either ex or still in aer lingus that probably have approvals too,how current they are i'm not sure!

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There will be no problem getting engineers. I wouldn't be surprised if monarch engineering get the contract to look after the B757. EI already deal with them and MON have good reputation for there services. Could be wrong but they have a station at DUB of they had?

Didn't know about Delta, what about US airways of united?

Anyway will it not be Air Contractors looking after the maintenance side of thing seen as they will operate them

Delta engineers look after Delta, United & American Airlines, US airways is looked after by Servisair Line Maintenance.

Yes you are probably right on the Air Contractors maintenance issue, since they are operating the aircraft I assume they will be maintaining them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Does anyone think that EI will get the A321NEO for transatlantic routes to the east coast in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Is it possible EI may go back to diversity with Aircraft manufacturers, Boeing, Airbus? I know the current setup gives EI a lot more flexibility with their pilots all being Airbus rated.

I suppose if the 757 streamlines the current setup with the A330 and starts to generate some cash flow, then why wouldn't they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Should be fun n games with the contract pilots on the 757 nearly operating half of EINs Atlantic operation when up and running re units.

THE chance of Aer Lingus with an entire Airbus fleet to get 757's is very slim.

• Advertisement

??:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Care to explain?

They're not buying them, all they have to do is supply cabin crew. Why wouldn't an airline with A320s and A330s do an ACMI lease for a smaller aircraft for routes that they can't fill with A330s and can't reach with A320s?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Care to explain?

Latecomer to the thread, reason enough.

Care to explain?

They're not buying them, all they have to do is supply cabin crew. Why wouldn't an airline with A320s and A330s do an ACMI lease for a smaller aircraft for routes that they can't fill with A330s and can't reach with A320s?
    IF They can't fill A330 their is a good chance they couldn't fill a 757.

Still, around 33% less seats to fill and it will free up A330s for other routes.

Still, around 33% less seats to fill and it will free up A330s for other routes.

closer to 25% than 33% also probably would end up costing similar to operate they as they would need to train cabin crew again for them and need type rated 757 pilots.

it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they operated some Boeing aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

That's illogical and, if that was the case, then no other airline would be bothering with T/A 757's and neither would EI. The 757 has been a great success T/A although, personally, I'd prefer a twin-aisler.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    That's illogical and, if that was the case, then no other airline would be bothering with T/A 757's and neither would EI. The 757 has been a great success T/A although, personally, I'd prefer a twin-aisler.

most of the one's operating 757 T/A operate them for other flights as well or have a fleet with other Boeing's. not operating 2 or 3 757 exclusively for T/A when the rest of the fleet is airbus

look at Delta, AA

closer to 25% than 33% also probably would end up costing similar to operate they as they would need to train cabin crew again for them and need type rated 757 pilots.

it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they operated some Boeing aircraft.

But it's a wet lease. I agree they would need to train cabin crew but why would they need to train their pilots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

most of the one's operating 757 T/A operate them for other flights as well or have a fleet with other Boeing's. not operating 2 or 3 757 exclusively for T/A when the rest of the fleet is airbus

look at Delta, AA

AL will be leasing these 757s along with crew, so training isn't too much of an issue.

edit: sorry Nimrod, echoing you there.

Advertisement