Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up!

• 09-02-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Is anyone else feeling fed up and down and right awful due to these exams?

I have studied dilligently from day one and am still no where near reaching what I want!
    Got a good/not fantastic junior cert (8 B's 2A's and 2C's) all higher and pass maths!
    Usually coming in around 455-475 in Christmas and Summer exams, need 475 in the leaving but really want closer to 500!
    What I'm asking is, does anyone tips to positivity for these exams?
    Or should I just accept the fact I'll probably bearly break 400 nevermind 500!tongue.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

You are not the only one! i am repeating the leaving this year so i know how you feel about being fed up! the leaving cert is really a mental challenge :p
    You have to be realistic ,but i always aim high! My teacher would say if you aim for a C you are not going to get any higher than an C.If you aim for an A you might not reach it but you have a better chance if you set your aims higher, don't give up now , you can do it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

I suppose you're right!
    Ya it's the most frustrating mentally draining thing I've ever done,
    Good luck to you,hope you get what you want this time around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

If I offend you, I'm sorry. But I'm going to speak my mind anyhow.

I honestly can't describe how much it pisses me off when you have people milling around doing all honors, getting straight A's and B's and act like it's 'meh, coulda been better.'

Sorry, but, no. You did brilliantly and you excelled, much better than I did. I know some people will get 500 points, get into their course and still be making average academic students like me feel like ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

What some people find as really good, someone else mightn't . It all depends on what you want to do and how many points it is.

If I offend you, I'm sorry. But I'm going to speak my mind anyhow.

I honestly can't describe how much it pisses me off when you have people milling around doing all honors, getting straight A's and B's and act like it's 'meh, coulda been better.'

Sorry, but, no. You did brilliantly and you excelled, much better than I did. I know some people will get 500 points, get into their course and still be making average academic students like me feel like ****.

I'm not offended in any way shape or form!This post actually made me feel better.. pacman.gif

It really does depend what you see as average and how many laborious hours of work you put in? (I put in a s*it load!)

(And btw I'm not a straight A or B student!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Definitely fed up! :( Feel like the time is gone already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Lads, the leaving cert isn't everything you know. If you don't do as well as you want, it's not the end of the world. People get so stressed and worked up over it, it's not the most important thing in your life.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

The leaving cert isn't everything. I know guys who needed 450 points for a course. They got like 350 points and went the level 7 option which was 280 points. They then transferred into the level 8 course. It took an extra year to get the degree. Also I know people who did Arts and they regreted it. After they finished the degree they did a higher diploma in software development and then their masters.

Theirs workarounds with everything so don't fret about the leaving cert! Theirs nearly higher diplomas after you complete any degree in nearly every area!

I don't know why people repeat their leaving unless they want to medicine or something.

Also just to add don't do a course that is not employable!!!!

I did electronic engineering in Maynooth which was 320 points, think its near 400 now. I didn't bother study for the leaving till a month before hand but did study higher maths a bit. I got 375. I did do homework that was giving throughout the two years. I could have did a lot better but the leaving cert doesn't matter!

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    Definitely fed up! :( Feel like the time is gone already!

It isn't too late!! NEVER IS TOO LATE!

theidiots wrote: »
    The leaving cert isn't everything. I know guys who needed 450 points for a course. They got like 350 points and went the level 7 option which was 280 points. They then transferred into the level 8 course. It took an extra year to get the degree. Also I know people who did Arts and they regreted it. After they finished the degree they did a higher diploma in software development and then their masters.

Theirs are workarounds with everything so don't fret about the leaving cert! Theirs nearly higher diplomas after you complete any degree in nearly every area!

I don't know why people repeat their leaving unless they want to medicine or something.

I did electronic engineering in Maynooth which was 320 points, think its near 400 now. I didn't bother study for the leaving till a month before hand but did study higher maths a bit. I got 375. I did do homework that was giving throughout the two years. I could have did a lot better but the leaving cert doesn't matter!

i hate when loads of people say that there are workarounds with everything! i'm up for giving hope to lc students but false hope is pointless, the course i wanted to do has no way around , no plc ,no other way to get into it , you must get the 470 points, i only got 410 therefore i had to repeat this year or do something that i never wanted to do , it is very important to study for the lc ,you were lucky that you got your course on 375 points but not everyone can so stop telling people they can make do with second best.

• Advertisement

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    i hate when loads of people say that there are workarounds with everything! i'm up for giving hope to lc students but false hope is pointless, the course i wanted to do has no way around , no plc ,no other way to get into it , you must get the 470 points, i only got 410 therefore i had to repeat this year or do something that i never wanted to do , it is very important to study for the lc ,you were lucky that you got your course on 375 points but not everyone can so stop telling people they can make do with second best.

The point we're trying to get across is the fact that the leaving cert (and even education) aren't the most important things in your life. Some people get so stressed out and even depressed about their leaving cert that it impacts on their health (The most important thing) hugely. It can't be THAT important to cause someone to have severe health problems, can it?

Saying that, I'm not saying not to do any work or study, I'm just saying that one should take care of their health over their education. It's far more important. If someone needs 470 for their desired course and doesn't get it, it's not the end of the world. There are other courses and careers out there that they may not even know they are interested in.

In a word, your education isn't everything. That's all I wanted to say ;)

What course is 470? People need to stop taking the leaving cert so seriously.

Maybe if you want to do medicince, be a vet or nursing you have to.

ray2012 wrote: »
    The point we're trying to get across is the fact that the leaving cert (and even education) aren't the most important things in your life. Some people get so stressed out and even depressed about their leaving cert that it impacts on their health (The most important thing) hugely. It can't be THAT important to cause someone to have severe health problems, can it?

Saying that, I'm not saying not to do any work or study, I'm just saying that one should take care of their health over their education. It's far more important. If someone needs 470 for their desired course and doesn't get it, it's not the end of the world. There are other courses and careers out there that they may not even know they are interested in.

In a word, your education isn't everything. That's all I wanted to say ;)

I think you just don't understand what it is like to really want to do something for a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I think you just don't understand what it is like to really want to do something for a job!

What? :mad:

I don't understand this idea that if somebody doesn't worry themselves ridiculously over the Leaving Certificate that they don't know what it's like to want to stride for a job.

What do you want to do? A lot of these 500 point courses arn't even employable.

Go on so and worry about the leaving cert to the point that it has an impact on your health :)

I know exactly what job I want, but if I don't get the necessary points I won't go into a state of depression like I think you will. :pac:

Enjoy the rest of the year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

theidiots wrote: »

Theirs workarounds with everything so don't fret about the leaving cert! Theirs nearly higher diplomas after you complete any degree in nearly every area!

The Leaving Cert actually can matter when looking for jobs and internships. Never been asked about it in an interview but a lot of companies set minimum criteria for exam results.

As for doing something "employable", why not do something you enjoy? There are always postgrad courses like a Masters in Management if you want to go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Just did loads of biology notes...... :(

I'll do a 'pope' on it! F*CK THIS!

Advertisement