Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neverwinter

• 09-02-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

So the first beta weekend for this started last night. Did anyone else get in?

I got to play a few hours last night and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if that's just the excitement of playing a new MMO, though. It's similar enough to other MMO's to be easy enough to get into. But like all MMO's, it assumes you automatically know what you're doing and so the explanations of how the game works are a bit lacking.

If I had to compare it to another MMO, I'd say it plays very much like Star Trek Online. You and everyone else are free to move around the main maps, and then you get mission instances where only you and your group take part in. It's also easy enough to solo, for the most part (though I assume it's been toned down a lot for the beta. It's incredibly easy to level, for example).

What will really make this stand out is the Foundry toolset that, like Star Trek Online, lets you create and play user created content. I didn't get a chance to play around with this yesterday, but I'm hoping to give it a go soon.

Overall, Neverwinter kind of strikes me as a casual MMO. It's not the type of game you'd end up pumping months and months of time into. It's the type of game that you'd play a few hours when the mood takes you, or if you can get a group of friends to group up and take on s short user created campaign.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is always my first question ........will it have a sub? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Nope. Free to play, and the usual micro transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Had a few friends in it, all of which recommended it. Have been thinking about getting one of the founders packs, but that will have to wait til payday :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sweet mother of Brell that's a lot of Drizzt selling going on with that Foundation Package for $200...

Nody wrote: »
    Sweet mother of Brell that's a lot of Drizzt selling going on with that Foundation Package for $200...

Quote of the day there :D

...Well, maybe tied with one of where to's comments earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I really want this to be good, we had some good games with the last Neverwinter Night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks decent. Will certainly give it a go. Hopefully they don't **** up with the ingame store. Nothing worse then a shop ruining the game.

Rather lengthy stream recording if anyone wants to see more.

Having played around with it a bit myself now, the combat is pretty fun...The current prices in the ingame store look a little crazy, so I hope they are placeholders.

• Advertisement

I got to give the 2nd beta a bit of a shot yesterday. They've changed a lot of things from the first one. Got to give the user created content a good going over. While it's hit and miss, there's a lot of scope for different types of campaigns to be created. Can't wait to get my hands on those tools.

one way to get a feel for those tools would be to try the foundry in star trek online

Got into this weekends beta,looking forward to trying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Looks interesting but I only registered an account now so can't see beta coming my way.

Noxin wrote: »
    Looks interesting but I only registered an account now so can't see beta coming my way.

I got mine on gamespot uk.

Some guy put these codes up in comments section just now, go go go !!!

MHP85-D8J-83RP

DCJ34-E4L-53MA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Used up in no time.
    Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

ayo free codes here not sure if they'll last too long

http://www.destructoid.com/redeem_code.phtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I had a go of this for a little while when Logitech put up a free entry thing on facebook. I was surprised at how fun it was, I didn't play for all that long but I like the idea of not having to have millions of macros and that sort of rubbish. The combat system is good, it looks promising!

Thought it was so so myself, found the combat to be ok but not sure if the game has lasting appeal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Imperial_Jawa

Soft release on the 25th ( Hero of the North status ) 27th ( Guardian of the North ) and the 30th if you didn't buy any founders pack. Looks like a decent game. I have no beta experience with it, but its F2P so I will definitely give it a go.

Could maybe get a group of players to play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Gonna check this out when the open beta begins in about 3 days. Combat seems like alot of fun but i hear that the developer of the game makes all pay2win games. If i do enjoy it i really hope its not pay2win, would turn me right off

Been watching a stream of this tonight for about 70 mins of endgame stuff and tbh it looks great.

Large numbers of viewers tuning in on twitch tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Dcully wrote: »
    Been watching a stream of this tonight for about 70 mins of endgame stuff and tbh it looks great.

Large numbers of viewers tuning in on twitch tv.

Is endgame just your standard trinity style dungeons and raids?

Big Knox wrote: »
    Is endgame just your standard trinity style dungeons and raids?

Not sure but what i watched was group dungeons with some huge dragon as last boss that gave them quite a bit of trouble.
    People were asking in chat about raids and the streamer and his guild were saying yes there are raids.

From what im hearin the Foundry is a big part.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Guide_to_the_Foundry

Reading the wiki there are also :

Events

Events in Neverwinter are periodic occurrences which grant players additional rewards for participating in a certain aspect of the game during the given time period of the Event. Currently, the following aspects of the game have Events associated with them, Dungeon Delves, The Foundry, Professions, PvP, and Skirmishes.

Skirmishes

Skirmishes are player-vs-environment private instances that (so far) take place in outdoor environments and which are balanced for groups of five characters. They are similar to Dungeon Delves, but usually shorter and often involve staying in a fixed area while defeating multiple waves of foes.

Dungeon Delves

Dungeon Delves are player-vs-environment private instances that (so far) take place in indoor environments and which are balanced for groups of five characters. They are similar to Skirmishes, but usually longer, involving exploring some kind of structure and facing several bosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Might give it a go down the line. People are saying it's not going to be pay2win but most of cryptics previous outings were so will wait and see if that's the case.

Which of their older games were pay to win? I've played Star Trek and Champions and never found them to be that way. But I played them casually, so never got really stuck into them.

OB tonight and no further character wipes.

Is this a beta or the actual release? People who bought those founder packs were given head starts last Thursday. Thought they'd only do that once it's released and not for betas.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chuey

This is Open BETA. So it's more or less release with an asterisk whispering: We're open but no-one's polished yet.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Is this a beta or the actual release? People who bought those founder packs were given head starts last Thursday. Thought they'd only do that once it's released and not for betas.

its the new in thing for mmo's :rolleyes: to charge for a beta, personally I blame firefall for starting that.

Advertisement