Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neverwinter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

its the new in thing for mmo's :rolleyes: to charge for a beta, personally I blame firefall for starting that.

Charge for beta? i havent paid a single cent, its free to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Queue position: 170378

This at 11:30 in the morning!

Massive queues and servers are going down for maintenance @ 3pm GMT and last a few hours.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?168541-Patch-Notes-NW-1-20130416a-13

I got on for 5 mins lastnight then left to watch the footie,i was hoping for some game time tonight before the footie but not so sure it that will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Played till 4am last night getting to level 11. Queue times and numbers where ****ed last night. It counted me down to position 39 then reverted me back to 6589, stayed at 6589 for about 20 minutes then i got in.

This is my first experience with a F2P MMO and it does lack the polish of other sub based games like Tera, Wow and SWTOR. Lots of instances with about 60% of them being party only areas. Wont be giving up on it just yet, but it does feel like an RPG rather than an MMORPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

but it does feel like an RPG rather than an MMORPG.
    That's actually what I love about it. It's more an attempt at recreating the old pen and paper DnD into game form than making it into a full MMO.

I got to play around with the Foundry for a very short while. It's pretty cool. There's no real manual with it, but it seems really versatile. I've a feeling I'm going to be using this more than the actual game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Wont be giving up on it just yet, but it does feel like an RPG rather than an MMORPG

Explain plOx?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Akarinn wrote: »
    Explain plOx?

I kinda take that back. Reached level 19 tonight and it plays very much like an MMO but doesn't feel like a massive world open before me ready to explore. Even when i'm in outdoor area's I still feel like i'm in a small enclosed space, i dunno its hard to explain. I did play some of the user created modules and a few of them reminded me of Neverwinter Nights, lots of dialogue, multiple choice answers and such.

Its kind of a poor mans RPG and a poor mans MMO rolled into one :p I have been itching to play an MMO so i'm gonna stick with it for now, or atleast until WildStar is released/goes into public beta

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love the idea of the Foundry. Hopefully we get some great quests/storylines from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Dabbled a bit yesterday. I started with a Guardian Fighter and have to say I felt a bit underwhelmed. Combat felt clunky. I then rolled a wizard and and the combat sprung to life. Amazing how different the classes feel. The dialogue and cut scenes were shoddy at best. Here's hoping the story pickes up a bit, but then again it's not super important because of the Foundry. I hope this game is a success and we get lots of user created content. A couple more classes would be nice too (I'd like to see paladins and rangers in there).

Played for a bit lastnight,rolled a tank until about lvl 5 then rolled a Cleric and its enjoyable so far lvl 13 atm.
    Played one mission from the foundry too and it was pretty good, how is loot decided while playing user created content?
    Its kind of a poor mans RPG and a poor mans MMO rolled into one

Dont see it this way at all,apart from the voice acting [which means nothing to me in an mmo anyways] its pretty good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Started last night for a few hours myself. Wen't for control wizard as I'm usually a melee class in MMO's so tried a different style for once.
    Must admit, I did enjoy it.

The character models seem a bit lacking to me but the rest was nice enough. I agree on the voice acting and I do feel that it can take back from a story line but it didn't bother me too much. And this is still a beta..

I only reached around level 8 or 9 on the control wizard but I'll hopefully play a bit more over the weekend and get more of a feel for the game.
    I found the wizard dps to be lacking somewhat for a mage class but again, we'll see how well it improves after investing some points for improvements.

No real bugs found as I was playing except for one point where it kept a box saying press F to loot on my screen that annoyed me. But as soon as I zoned, it disappeared.

Also the zoning. That does make it feel less like an mmo and more like an RPG. I understand what @YouSavedMyLife means by feeling like a small enclosed space.

Not played with Foundry yet but I love the idea of it. It just gives opportunity for brand new quests to constantly spring up. More to come after the weekend :)

Kripparrian seems to like it, if people dont know him hes possibly the closest thing to a genius when it comes to theory crafting in MMO`s and ARPG`s etc.
    His path of exile exploits are almost legendary in the poe community today,ive often seen 5-6 thousand viewers on his twitchtv stream.

Personally im still enjoying it,got my cleric to lvl 20 and its a lot of fun.
    I do find the zones so far too enclosed and almost linear,hopefully that will change.
    Ofcourse its early days and there are class imbalance issues especially in pvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Played this lastnight and have to say i love the game :), ive been playing allot of GW2 of late and really miss playing a healing class so i really connected with the cleric.

When i saw the game first i was a bit dissmissive, it doesnt look as polished as other mmo's, the voice acting isnt the best ect ect but the game play is really fun. So much so that some of the other issues can really be overlooked.

Its free all across the board.. So of course it wont be as polished as many other mmo's.. Plus its very very early days yet, so we could see an improvment in this later in the game.

Plus if any mod is looking through this thread, im sure im not the only one who wouldnt mind seeing a Neverwinter or Gw2 Sub folder in Massive Multiplayer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Plus if any mod is looking through this thread, im sure im not the only one who wouldnt mind seeing a Neverwinter or Gw2 Sub folder in Massive Multiplayer.
    Forum request goes here.

Due to the lack of activity (i.e. one thread on GW with 3k posts only and only this for NWN) I highly doubt either will get a forum (I remember Day Z had a 12k posts and 6+ months of activity before they got one set up) simply because one thread covers it all but that's my guess as a boards user only and I'd happily be proven wrong :)

Its free all across the board.. So of course it wont be as polished as many other mmo's.. Plus its very very early days yet, so we could see an improvment in this later in the game.

I didn't say I was expecting polish but it is a micro transaction game so I expect it will eventually come . It is a fact that t needs polish so that's why I said it .

Forget the forum all sub forums are dead no point adding more crap .

Well after getting a few characters to lvl 12 or so and my cleric to 26 i can honestly say im enjoying this more than any MMO ive bought recently,tera,guild wars 2 included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Still in and enjoying myself. Only level 16 but I tried out a bit of pvp which I found great craic with a CW.

Thus far it's winning over any other mmo at the moment. Age of Wushu comes close in second place but I find myself logging into this only at the moment!

Yeah heard of Age of Wishu but never tried it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I've been playing a control wizard and so far it's great fun! Got my dog just there! :D

Anyone found any guides for pet setup, I heard you can give pets level 60 gear and they can share stats with you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Calhoun wrote: »
    Anyone found any guides for pet setup, I heard you can give pets level 60 gear and they can share stats with you .

If you press '=' it will bring up your companion management tab.

This allows you to equip your companions with different items depending on the companion(For example you can equip the Man-At-Arms with a sword). It also allows you to equip them with the various enchantments/runes you find while playing that can increase their stats or share a small amount with you.

Anyone got any tips on actually farming some gold? I'm level 20 but I only have like 1s80c or something crap and I want my mount :P

If you have any of the starting zen you should be able to buy a horse for 500 zen. At the same time though how do you only have 1s? I am around that level and i have over 1G.

I would recommend running the daily dungeon, daily foundry (we did cragshead or something like that lastnight) allot of loot drops from these just vendor what you dont need.

Calhoun wrote: »
    If you have any of the starting zen you should be able to buy a horse for 500 zen. At the same time though how do you only have 1s? I am around that level and i have over 1G.

I would recommend running the daily dungeon, daily foundry (we did cragshead or something like that lastnight) allot of loot drops from these just vendor what you dont need.

Derp, sorry, I have 1g80s or so!

I have my rental horse for moment though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

'teabag' on beholder (I think?)

noob cleric

Wossack wrote: »
    'teabag' on beholder (I think?)

noob cleric

Cleric is a beast late game, I tried to name myself something stupid but it wouldn't let me. I did name my dog Knob Jockey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

feels a bit OP already, and am only like lvl10

funny seeing the very serious RP types playing it, with first and second names etc, and then see some dwarf running about named 'Poo' (laughed when I saw it :P)

• Advertisement

Nick, have you kept any of your zen? you could purchase a horse cheap with it.

Advertisement