Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTZ Dome or Bullet (straight) IP CCTV

Options
  • 09-02-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just wondering I am trying to get the best ip camera setup (have plans to install a Z wave system as well and tie them all together etc)

There is a big range of prices, makes and models and I can see that the higher up you go the better the quality would be. Then again I have to tell myself I have a private house and not a business.

Would it be a waste to have a Dome that was hanging on the side of the house if I got a 45 degree angle piece that would view the gable end and the front or would it be better to get to directional cameras altogether as I am at work during the day and maybe its not worth having a camera that moves 360 degrees back and forth.

I am not sure if it would look so well either as the house is a bungalow and is only about 8' high to the soffit.

I seen reviews of cameras that are critical of cameras such as the Tenvis 391W and IR cut out which I was looking at. IR leds reflecting off the lens etc...colour of grass not good etc. But maybe it would be good enough.

I guess I would like a clear image and a fair angle of vision.
    If I was away and had a pan and tilt model it might be able to move a little and offer more in terms of image etc.....any recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

Maybe this one the Foscam F18620W H.264 IP Dome Camera http://foscam.co.uk/products/foscam-fi8620-wired-ip-camera.html and hang it off the side of the house with a corner mounting unit so that it would see down the side and across the front of the house.

Cost a bit more but the Sony CCD lens should be good and it would have a wide angle vision. Should give a good image.

Although I've read that there is no heater in it but that might not be too much of a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 C.TECH

Hi, Foscam are not a bad brand, considering it hails from a webcam manufacturer. I had one of the internal pt units, similar to the lightinthebox wanscam ads on here, it worked well enough. As for integrating it with Z-wave, I think you have to stick to their certified products, I don't see Foscam on there, though I could be wrong.

Best advice I can give you is to keep it simple. Between Z-wave and Foscam products, there are a lot of things going on, plenty of minor headaches along the way. Don't approach CCTV as another module to a Home Automation system, it's a security measure, integration should be secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

C.TECH wrote: »
    Hi, Foscam are not a bad brand, considering it hails from a webcam manufacturer. I had one of the internal pt units, similar to the lightinthebox wanscam ads on here, it worked well enough. As for integrating it with Z-wave, I think you have to stick to they're certified products, I don't see Foscam on there, though I could be wrong.

Best advice I can give you is to keep it simple. Between Z-wave and Foscam products, there are a lot of things going on, plenty of minor headaches along the way. Don't approach CCTV as another module to a Home Automation system, it's a security measure, integration should be secondary.

Its true about keeping it simple and not complicating things.
    Have been looking at the Tenvis 391W and it might be less expensive but might be just as good for a residential setting. I seen it one one of those automation sites. There was only a few cameras but I think all of them were IP network camera. I guess there would be a greater chance of integration into a central controller using an IP address.

However you'll find stories of ones not working as well due to firmware not matching etc.

Currently wandering around Vivotek cameras and the fixed domes as it might be easier to mount on the tin type material on the eaves, bullet may work out as well some say there better in a way for outdoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 C.TECH

I had a look at the specs on that camera, even for that money it is in no way worth it. It's like a 5 year old camera with wi-fi slapped on.

Vivotek are a decent brand.

Advertisement